Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 RAV4 vs NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 09:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is S Flow for the HVAC?
It's supposed to be a fuel saving feature.

Basically, if no one is occupying the passenger seat(s), the HVAC just focuses on the driver's area. When the front or rear seats are occupied, it will direct the appropriate amount of heating/cooling to those zones.

In my GS, I find that the interior gets too hot in the summer to try to just focus on one zone, so it's not that useful. What I do like about it in the GS is that it can also control the front seat heating/ventilation. If S Flow is on, and no one is in the front seat, the auto seat heat/ventilation won't come on. Once the seat is occupied, the seat heat or ventilation (depending on temp) will then automatically turn on.
Old 06-18-19, 09:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's supposed to be a fuel saving feature.

Basically, if no one is occupying the passenger seat(s), the HVAC just focuses on the driver's area. When the front or rear seats are occupied, it will direct the appropriate amount of heating/cooling to those zones.

In my GS, I find that the interior gets too hot in the summer to try to just focus on one zone, so it's not that useful. What I do like about it in the GS is that it can also control the front seat heating/ventilation. If S Flow is on, and no one is in the front seat, the auto seat heat/ventilation won't come on. Once the seat is occupied, the seat heat or ventilation (depending on temp) will then automatically turn on.
Yes. Now I know what you mean. I think the new Toyota Corolla has that feature, might be limited to just the hybrid. I definitely remember reading it. Thanks for the explanation 👍
Old 06-18-19, 02:04 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

considering RAV4 hybrid is only 2k more than no hybrid with a dramatic increase in MPG it should be no question that the hybrid should be the big seller. I'd also go with RAV4 over NX as others have said I don't believe NX is really up to par for lexus standards. Truly a car there only to bring people in for the badge as it is now.
Old 06-18-19, 05:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
considering RAV4 hybrid is only 2k more than no hybrid with a dramatic increase in MPG it should be no question that the hybrid should be the big seller. I'd also go with RAV4 over NX as others have said I don't believe NX is really up to par for lexus standards. Truly a car there only to bring people in for the badge as it is now.
$800 more for 2019; not $2,000
Old 06-18-19, 05:53 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
$800 more for 2019; not $2,000
I thought it was closer, think thats because non-hybrid has a base trim and then hybrid has a higher minimum trim.
Old 06-18-19, 06:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought it was closer, think thats because non-hybrid has a base trim and then hybrid has a higher minimum trim.
$800 more. But is the content and features the same?
Old 06-18-19, 06:17 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
$800 more. But is the content and features the same?
They're actually the same, both base LE but hybrid only comes in Awd. rwd is 2k difference compared to awd hybrid. to compare apples to apples its 800$ difference for awd to awd
Old 06-18-19, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They're actually the same, both base LE but hybrid only comes in Awd. rwd is 2k difference compared to awd hybrid. to compare apples to apples its 800$ difference for awd to awd
That is interesting. I wonder how they do it. The Corolla hybrid is packaged a bit different than the non hybrid. Wheels, no sun roof, and other stuff.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-18-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 06:50 PM
baconRx
Instructor

nvm hybrid has dual zone ac, different style rims, and back up camera... here i thought LE meant they were the same, lies

Last edited by baconRx; 06-18-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

nvm it has dual zone ac, different style rims, and back up camera... here i thought LE meant they were the same, lies
Got ya. So which one has the extra option?
Old 06-18-19, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Be real; no cop is going to pull you over and get rained on because you don't have your headlights on. During the day, I agree that DRLs are enough to make your car more visible in rain/down pours. But your tail lights are not on if you only rely on DRLs; so headlights should be on in rain, snow, fog.
There is no law, at least in my state, that says taillights have to come on with the wipers.
Old 06-18-19, 07:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is no law, at least in my state, that says taillights have to come on with the wipers.
Oh, well I guess there's no reason to drive in a safer manner then....
Old 06-18-19, 07:15 PM
baconRx
Instructor

i feel like thats the least of our worries. people don't know how to use their signals when changing lanes, know how to speed up to hwy speeds to merge, or get out of the left lane if not passing and going slower than the right lane....
Old 06-18-19, 09:49 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks--great info.
Any feedback on engine refinement? The gas version has taken a lot of flak for being noisy and unrefined; but I have not yet seen a full road review on the hybrid version to see if this complaint applies as well.
It's coarse and noisy sounding under hard load at low rpm. And when the motor is cold. The transmission upshifts quickly between gears 1-3, which keeps engine rpms low, aggravating the noise. But under more gentle acceleration at low vehicle speeds or moderate acceleration at higher vehicle speeds the engine is pretty quiet and silky.
Old 06-19-19, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRX
i feel like thats the least of our worries. people don't know how to use their signals when changing lanes, know how to speed up to hwy speeds to merge, or get out of the left lane if not passing and going slower than the right lane...

Not only is baconRx correct, but, worse than any of that, is every other driver on the road minding the cell-phone instead of watching where they are going.

Oh, and baconRx, IMO, equally as annoying as those who do not use signals at all are those who use signals continuously when they are not turning or changing lanes.

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 vs NX