Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 Reasons to Own a 2019 Lexus GX 460

Old 06-07-19, 08:25 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 6 Reasons to Own a 2019 Lexus GX 460

6 Reasons to Own a 2019 Lexus GX 460
By William Mutugi

Find out what the Lexus GX 460 has in store for you.

Old 06-07-19, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll add a seventh reason......With the condition that roads and bridges have allowed to become in the U.S., a vehicle built like the GX (or the Land Cruiser/LX) just might make some sense.
Old 06-07-19, 10:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

All that and not one pic of the dash or driver's view.
I'd say if it was priced the same as an RX, it would make more sense. As it stands, it's too pricey and dated to justify it's few attributes.
Old 06-08-19, 04:32 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd say if it was priced the same as an RX, it would make more sense. As it stands, it's too pricey and dated to justify it's few attributes.
It amazes me how Toyota/ Lexus has allowed some of their larger trucks and SUVs to become so dated. It’s almost as if they don’t care. I would not consider a Sequoia or LC/LX, even if you could get 25% off sticker. These rigs need a major update and fast. We are in time of prime SUV sales and Toyota has nothing good to offer for the large segment. I don’t personally know one person that has recently considered the above mentioned vehicles. Technology is advancing at a rapid pace and Yota is no longer a leader in innovation. Sad.

They do do focus on the small framed SUVs, but those do not interest me.
Old 06-08-19, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-08-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-08-19, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
but those do not interest me.
Have you ever owned a Toyota body on frame mode? or is your interest in one, would it be your first purchase.
Old 06-08-19, 07:14 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If the price is right, anything is a good option. Thats the case with the GX. Priced with incentives (20-25%), this vehicle is okay by me. Now if someone pays sticker on this thing in todays market...well I guess its worth it.

The RX 16-19 is a better place to be, and the 20s make it even better. A GX refresh is in the cards, but nothing drastic sooo hard to say
Old 06-08-19, 08:13 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

no doubt the GX is horrifically long in the tooth but its aged gracefully and gracefully enough to still be produced ten years after its initial version without any major updates. the GX is a dying breed. a REAL suv, not a stupid crossover or something that masquerades as an SUV. this one is the real deal and extremely rugged. ive always loved the GX it just screams 2010 and desperately needs a makeover. i just hope that when the time finally comes for a new generation of GX that they stick with the body-on-frame V8 design, but i fear they wont.
Old 06-08-19, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

page at link says:

It has a lot of great features and a lot of not-so-great features.
i didn't see mention of the no-so-great features.

and who doesn't love a shape like this?

Old 06-08-19, 11:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The GX460 is a fantastic vehicle. Technology wise, it’s the most outdated car in the Lexus lineup. We sell tons of them at the dealership I work at. Many of the customers love them so much that they keep purchasing them over and over despite the car being the same since 2014. The simplicity of the touch screen is a big deal for a lot of people but everyone is wondering when the GX will get updated.

The LX is in a similar boat since everyone is asking about features like Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and when the next redesign will come out.
Old 06-08-19, 02:00 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you ever owned a Toyota body on frame mode? or is your interest in one, would it be your first purchase.
Only have test driven Sequoia’s and LX’s, both new and used. Overall, liked both, but felt the vehicles look and feel were dated. If they ever make an all new Sequoia or LX I will definitely test drive. For some reason I don’t like the Landcruiser as much as the LX, but prefer the 3rd row fold flat like the Sequoia. These rigs need better than 15 mpg. These should have been all new models 2-3 years ago.
Old 06-08-19, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
The GX460 is a fantastic vehicle. Technology wise, it’s the most outdated car in the Lexus lineup.
The GX is BUILT...not just assembled with a bunch of lightweight plastic parts like so many vehicles today. So is the Land Cruiser/LX.
Old 06-08-19, 09:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The GX is BUILT...not just assembled with a bunch of lightweight plastic parts like so many vehicles today. So is the Land Cruiser/LX.
While I understand what you mean, I dont think the GX interior is quite upto snuff. I can point out various sections of the interior that I dont think compare to what can be found on say the more modern cheaper RX. The interior wood trim comes out of the last decade, while the matte steel trim is again something that is out of place in a modern vehicle. The materials need a current decade refresh, and from the looks of it might not be getting that either. The mules running around seem to keep the same matte trim.

Hence why I say at the crazy deals one can get on these things, I say its fine. If for instance tom Lexus decides were going to sell at sticker....look elsewhere with that kind of budget before you set out on this vehicle.
Old 06-08-19, 09:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Only have test driven Sequoia’s and LX’s, both new and used. Overall, liked both, but felt the vehicles look and feel were dated. If they ever make an all new Sequoia or LX I will definitely test drive. For some reason I don’t like the Landcruiser as much as the LX, but prefer the 3rd row fold flat like the Sequoia. These rigs need better than 15 mpg. These should have been all new models 2-3 years ago.
Yes, they are older. We have had various Toyota/Lexus body on frame models our whole lives. We don't ever view them as daily drivers, they are made for work, hauling stuff, and snow or bad weather. We really like them, but they certainly do have their shortcomings, but they also are quite satisfying. I do like the Land Cruiser the most as it is a unique moment where you are getting vehicle with a mainstream badge. The LX interior is nice.
Old 06-09-19, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While I understand what you mean, I dont think the GX interior is quite upto snuff.
I wasn't implying that the GX does not have any lightweight or plastic parts at all.....we both know that is not true. What I meant by the term "Built" is that the GX is designed to go through tough physical conditions......and has a frame, body, drivetrain, and underpinnings designed for it. With the general lack of road-maintenance in this area and the constantly-deteriorating infrastructure, I'm tempted to get a GX myself LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Reasons to Own a 2019 Lexus GX 460