Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telluride vs Palisade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 07:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
The Telluride is a bit bigger inside with slightly more legroom then the Palisade but nothing that would really change your decision between the two. Personally I like the interior of the Palisade more while enjoying the rugged looks of the Telluride exterior over the Palisade. Telluride def missed in a few areas that Kia could have gotten ahead of. Rather strange to me that the trims top out at SX, while the Optima and Sorento have SXL trims. Looks like features(Full 12.3 digital dash, 3rd row power folding seats etc) will be reserved for top spec Palisade. My guess is these will be available on the Telluride(possibly in SXL trim in MY 2021 or 2022(kind of like how they held back on 360 Camera, wireless charging, heated rear seats on MY 2018 Stinger(which were later added into the MY 2019 GT2). Also seems odd the color choices are so limited on the Telluride, especially the lack of any blue shade however two black shades(Ebony and Copper Black with copper being the only unique color for the SX) and white, silver, sangria(which looks like black copper in certain lighting) green, and grey. Only my opinion but it appears that Kia is in a similar spot to the Toyota / Lexus relationship - they leave off a few key features to keep from losing sales to Hyundai(and Hyundai is doing the same with Genesis). Hyundai is going for the Luxury angle(and even more so with Genesis) and Kia is going for the Sport / rugged angle. Usually I love the Kia offerings over the Hyundai counterparts for many reasons, but this one is more of a toss up. With all that being said I just put a deposit on the Telluride(best in class right now, blown away by it actually - as are every single reviewer I have seen online). They lease out really nice and IMO in most categories smokes the Atlas(features are there, but the interior for a 50k vehicle is laughable and the exterior design is lazy), Pathfinder, Pilot, and Ascent. Also test drove the soon to be redesigned MDX and wow the Telluride just blew it out of the water. Almost identical exterior dimensions yet the interior space was so different I almost couldn't believe it(132.7 vs 178.1 cu inch). I'll have a few review once it's in my hands... the demand on these especially in SX/Prestige trim is unreal. Most people having to wait 8-10 weeks... thankfully my dealer(who I probably refer 12 deals a year to) is getting me their first inbound SX/Prestige Model due in May 23rd. Super excited, and its going to fit right in next to my GT2 . The Telluride would look absolutely sick in the Ceramic Silver(Ghost Grey) exterior of my Stinger. The pics below are of my Stinger, but of someone else's Telluride from another dealer.

My pick is the Telluride over the Pallisade. Prefer the overall exterior and interior design.

We were consider trading it in for the RX, but wanted to downsize (and to a hybrid), otherwise, hands down, I'd also have that next to my Stinger! Congrats on the purchase of what will be the second grand slam by Kia.
Old 05-06-19, 07:32 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If they had a silky-smooth V8 option, I'd be down. Even if it just an LS sourced from GM or something.
Old 05-06-19, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Big hate on the Palisade is the push button shifter
I prefer it to the phallic telluride one with ugly ******* bag.

Old 05-06-19, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, I see nothing wrong with bush-button shifters. I first learned to drive with them...on 1960s vintage Chrysler products. Today, GMC and Lincoln are (successfully) using them on a number of their products. IMO it sure beats the rotary-shifters we see on today's Fords, Chryslers, and Jaguars.
Thats fine. I hate them. It seriously would impact my purchase decision.
Old 05-07-19, 06:37 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldn’t buy a car with no shifter. Had a Mercedes like that and hated it.
Old 05-07-19, 06:47 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm asking myself when the driver of such monstruosity will be made liable for the cancers and safety risk they pose for the general public. Germany is starting the trend in making the cities liable for their inaction in regard of pollution. Maybe I will still see private persons be made liable for their behavior. Maybe not.

In my eyes, those cars are miscarriages of the auto industry, and are going to break the neck of automobile as a whole.
Old 05-07-19, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I wouldn’t buy a car with no shifter. Had a Mercedes like that and hated it.
I like the the Toyota/Lexus gated shifter. Hate the new button shifter with no gate on all of the new TNGA Toyota models thus far. I think a small dial would be just ideal. The Hyundai buttons looks much nicer than the KIA shifter with the button shown earlier in this thread.
Old 05-07-19, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i just don't see the issue. not like we're shifting all the time in most cars.

press R or D to go, press P when stopped. more and more cars will go this way.

Old 05-07-19, 07:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, I see nothing wrong with push-button shifters. I first learned to drive with them...on 1960s vintage Chrysler products. Today, GMC and Lincoln are (successfully) using them on a number of their products. IMO it sure beats the rotary-shifters we see on today's Fords, Chryslers, and Jaguars.
I totally don't understand this post. You may like push-button shifters, but:

1. You have to know that many others do not like them, both in these forums, and in the automotive press;
2. You have a lengthy campaign of disliking the electronic shifter of the style that is in your Buick, and you didn't come around on that shifter until you had your car a while and got used to it; and
3. Not all push-button shifters are alike. Honda's just seems truly awful to me--it takes up exactly the same real estate on the console as the conventional shifter--what's the point?

I think it's a little disingenuous, given your own personal experience, to be telling others "you see nothing wrong with" any type of shifter. You prefer buttons to rotary dial--so everyone should? Given your tenure here, you should know better than that. People like what they like; except maybe they get used to something new and end up liking something different. And maybe they don't.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-07-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
People like what they like; except maybe they get used to something new and end up liking something different. And maybe they don't.
true, but when confronted with something 'new', most people reject it immediately, because it's unfamiliar and they don't like change. just human nature for most.
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I have yet to drive a car with a push button shifter, so I don't know how much I would like it. I have a BMW with an electronic shift lever, and it took me about 2 days to get used to it. One of the things I like about it is that I don't have to look down to double check if I am putting it in the right gear. This push button shifter looks like you could change gears by feel; but others don't seem that way to me (esp. Lincoln's buttons).
Old 05-07-19, 08:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I think it really depends on the implementation. The Hyundai one seems better than most, and probably wouldn't bother me at all. As others have mentioned, the Honda one is both terrible and pointless. The one in the GMC Terrain is an abomination.
Old 05-07-19, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
The one in the GMC Terrain is an abomination.
omg you're right, i'd not seen that before, LOL

Old 05-07-19, 08:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

pilot one seems ok to me but takes up too much room... and of course it's selling VERY well so i guess consumers aren't bothered.

Old 05-07-19, 08:38 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Most of these auto manufacturers have lost their minds in favor of cutsie crap like this. What do you gain by eliminating a shifter, bigger cup holders?! There is nothing intuitive about some of the push-button shifters (not all), AND the stupid shifter sticks that allow the vehicle to be left in Drive or Reverse when you think it’s in Park. It won’t be long before Big Brother intervenes & mandates intuitive shifters. These ideas are stupid. Pick a safe design that has been tested & proven to operates logically & safely & leave it alone. You won’t see a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda or Kia/Hyundai with these foolish shifters in my driveway. I had a vehicle with a rotary shifter & as **** as I am, I somehow I accidentally turned the **** to Reverse while driving, thinking I was turning the radio volume down. Mistakes happen & people will die before the buffoon auto designers understand this is not something to be messed with!

Quick Reply: Telluride vs Palisade...