Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury sedan sales for March 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 06:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The people who defend the LS, would be curious how many of them %-wise have driven it?

Again, I draw an analogy. When I got the 1998 Maxima, I wanted the 2000 model to be a further step in the direction of being a legit 4DSC. Yet it was more of the same, really ugly from the rear, and ultimately the Maxima marque utterly collapsed as such in 2004. I would say it's 2004 for the LS. And we as human beings always seem to get into the "you only like the one you have and are sour grapes about the newer one." Not really I would say the 3rd gen Maxima was the best, it had an independent rear, was lighter, and yes timing belt on the V6 but maybe a better iteration of the motor (although they all went 400k+ like it's nothing).

On the LS? I would say 2nd gen or 3rd gen is best.
Living in the past?
Old 04-11-19, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Panamera sales numbers kind of shows that the direction Lexus is going with the LS is the right one.
How so......if the Panamera is outselling it by that kind of margin?
Old 04-11-19, 06:38 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

and is now out in No-Man's Land.
Yep.

If I want luxury with sport, there are better options.
If I want over-the-top luxury, there are better options.
If I want luxury with snob appeal, there are better options.
If I want luxury that is at a bargain price, there are better options.

It's as if Lexus perfectly designed the car that is almost everybody's second or third choice. And since a lot of these cars are leased, they almost all stay under factory warranty for the entire length of original ownership. So, reliability and repair costs aren't really that much of a factor any more to these types of buyers.
Old 04-11-19, 06:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yep.

If I want luxury with sport, there are better options.
If I want over-the-top luxury, there are better options.
If I want luxury with snob appeal, there are better options.
If I want luxury that is at a bargain price, there are better options.

It's as if Lexus perfectly designed the car that is almost everybody's second or third choice. And since a lot of these cars are leased, they almost all stay under factory warranty for the entire length of original ownership. So, reliability and repair costs aren't really that much of a factor any more to these types of buyers.
I guarantee Lexus has more ownership than lease than other brands.
Old 04-11-19, 06:46 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Probably. But that's not translating into more sales.
Old 04-11-19, 06:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Unless you like the car, you aren't really welcome to post in 5LS. Only repetitive positive comments are welcome.
Bob,

You are incorrect and have it exactly backwards... the issue is constant and repetitive negative comments are NOT welcome there. We absolutely welcome contrary viewpoints and concerns from members genuinely interested in the vehicle, but when the same negative diatribe just keep getting stated over and over, it is trolling, counter productive and destroys the sense of community for the 5LS owners.

At the end of the day, the 5LS forum is for 5LS owners and prospective owners to talk and learn about their cars, not for people to drive by just to make recurring posts about why they don't like it.

If you want to discus this topic further, PM me and let's have a chat about it. Otherwise, let's get this thread back on topic.
Old 04-11-19, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i bet you’re right as i’d say lexus buyers are more conservative, practical, pragmatic... of course that flies in the face of lexus efforts to make styling ‘in your face’ and ‘sporty’
Old 04-11-19, 06:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Haha. Either trolling or "old" people hating on change. Could be both. It sucks, but people need to move on.
nicedude, you need to cease the personal commentary and let the moderators do the moderating please.
Old 04-11-19, 07:01 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

The Panamera sales numbers kind of shows that the direction Lexus is going with the LS is the right one.
Then they should have gone that direction with the LC and left the LS in the traditional luxury car market. Instead, now they have 2 cars in no-man's land selling poorly.
Old 04-11-19, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Then they should have gone that direction with the LC and left the LS in the traditional luxury car market. Instead, now they have 2 cars in no-man's land selling poorly.
You could be right. But I think a lot of people overestimate the market for a traditional style Lexus LS. I think there is no market for either LS (now watch how fast people defend not cancelling the LS). This will be the last sedan LS IMO.
Old 04-11-19, 10:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

The people who defend the LS, would be curious how many of them %-wise have driven it?

On the LS? I would say 2nd gen or 3rd gen is best.
OK, so have you driven the 4th gen to be able to say that?
Old 04-11-19, 11:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
OK, so have you driven the 4th gen to be able to say that?
A 2009 model back in 2010. But truth be told, which I think people have a hard time accepting (so many examples), is what I think, and they as well, it makes zero difference. What matters is those who do own one, and how they feel about it. The lease vs. buy is one of those. Who cares what Suze or Dave Ramsay think if the person leasing is happy (although I take their positions).

If I go out and buy a Supra? I've invalidated the opinions of naysayers in a literal sense. They could be 100% correct, and likely are, but if I'm happy, that's all that matters.

Folks that love Lexus and insist it's on the same level as Mercedes and BMW and Porsche and Audi, who are they hurting if we simply let them feel that way?
Old 04-11-19, 11:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

A 2009 model back in 2010. But truth be told, which I think people have a hard time accepting (so many examples), is what I think, and they as well, it makes zero difference. What matters is those who do own one, and how they feel about it. The lease vs. buy is one of those. Who cares what Suze or Dave Ramsay think if the person leasing is happy (although I take their positions).

If I go out and buy a Supra? I've invalidated the opinions of naysayers in a literal sense. They could be 100% correct, and likely are, but if I'm happy, that's all that matters.

Folks that love Lexus and insist it's on the same level as Mercedes and BMW and Porsche and Audi, who are they hurting if we simply let them feel that way?
In 2010 did you own your current LS430? If not, how can you be certain you like the ride, feel, etc of the 430 over the 460? 2010 was a very long time ago.

I initially asked because you were asking how many people here praising the 5th Gen LS have actually driven one.. It's hard to call a certain generation car your favorite if you haven't driven all generations. We are saying the same thing -
Old 04-11-19, 11:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet you’re right as i’d say lexus buyers are more conservative, practical, pragmatic... of course that flies in the face of lexus efforts to make styling ‘in your face’ and ‘sporty’
I will always say, look in the lounge of the service department of a Lexus dealership. I have poked my head into about 5. I know this is not scientific at all, but the demographics were similar. So those are typical Lexus drivers to me. Poke your head in a BMW dealership, it's quite different off the bat as it's empty. That would be the first noteworthy item, so you can't really get the demographics that way.

p.s. the stereotype of BMW drivers I think is old, imho there is no valid stereotype. Oddly, that stereotype imho has transferred to a certain German mfg. and also a Japanese one.
Old 04-11-19, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have said this before. I see no reason to ever lease a Lexus or a Toyota, they are made for the long term and because of that, they are not usually the #1 in the class, they are usually middle of the road and they do most things well. The reliability is the reason why you get them and seeing how most cars are good for 5 years, why get a Lexus or Toyota for the short haul?

of course that flies in the face of lexus efforts to make styling ‘in your face’ and ‘sporty’
I agree. However, Lexus sales were declining at some point because they were known as "boring" Do you remember that?

Quick Reply: Luxury sedan sales for March 2019