Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Allstate safe drive damages electrical components?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 05:46 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Allstate safe drive damages electrical components?

I am wondering if anyone has physically had there cars damaged from the devices that plug into your obd2 port. I have read stuff online that it especially fries stuff on luxury cars can anyone verify or disprove this?
Old 03-18-19, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Mayhem at it again!

How many people benefit from that? Yes, my brother did (and he got a Raptor). But another friend did it and said he did not qualify for better rates (then why give them that data? Seems like phishing, like seeing if your work is really 2.7 miles from home [when it could be 60]).
Old 03-18-19, 08:39 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Mayhem at it again!

How many people benefit from that? Yes, my brother did (and he got a Raptor). But another friend did it and said he did not qualify for better rates (then why give them that data? Seems like phishing, like seeing if your work is really 2.7 miles from home [when it could be 60]).
What does that have to do with anything? You're completely off-topic.
Did your brother or your friend experience any problems or issues with the component plugging into or being plugged into the OBD-2 port?

OP, other than a reader, I've never had anything plugged into the OBD-2 port on any of my vehicles. I just checked the Owner's Manual on my current car and this is what I found:

It may just be in the manual for company CYA purposes.
Old 03-18-19, 09:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
What does that have to do with anything? You're completely off-topic.
Did your brother or your friend experience any problems or issues with the component plugging into or being plugged into the OBD-2 port?

OP, other than a reader, I've never had anything plugged into the OBD-2 port on any of my vehicles. I just checked the Owner's Manual on my current car and this is what I found:

It may just be in the manual for company CYA purposes.
I've plugged lots of things into all the OBD-II in all of our cars, from a toughbook with factory software, to a ThinkPad with aftermarket software, to a $18 amazon reader that only handles standard MIL codes and emissions readiness. Per your logic, only Allstate folks who have tried it should respond. You needed to read your owner's manual to see what should be plugged in to the connector? It's as generic as USB-C is today.
Old 03-18-19, 09:41 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've plugged lots of things into all the OBD-II in all of our cars, from a toughbook with factory software, to a ThinkPad with aftermarket software, to a $18 amazon reader that only handles standard MIL codes and emissions readiness. Per your logic, only Allstate folks who have tried it should respond. You needed to read your owner's manual to see what should be plugged in to the connector? It's as generic as USB-C is today.
Since it seems you need this spelled out for you..

1. OP asks "if anyone has physically had there cars damaged from the devices that plug into your obd2 port".
2. You spout some unrelated anecdotal bits about benefiting from using the Allstate device, and the possibility of the company using it for phishing purposes.
3. I post that I have not plugged anything into my OBD-2 port, but that my manual explicitly states that the port should only be used for diagnostics. Then I say that this is probably just CYA protocol for the automaker.
4. You post something relevant, stating all the devices you've plugged into the port with no issues. This is all the OP was asking for. Then you go on to misinterpret what the OP was asking for (people who have experience with the Allstate device would be ideal respondents, but OP wasn't specific about that), and finally you associate your misinterpretation with what I wrote, with a little jab at my intelligence based on an assumption you have about me.
Old 03-18-19, 09:47 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I am wondering if anyone has physically had there cars damaged from the devices that plug into your obd2 port. I have read stuff online that it especially fries stuff on luxury cars can anyone verify or disprove this?
I frequent a board where a few users regularly plug other devices (tuning modules, bluetooth modules) into their OBD-2 ports with no issues, however these are not luxury vehicles.
Old 03-18-19, 09:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
... Then you go on to misinterpret what the OP was asking for (people who have experience with the Allstate device would be ideal respondents, but OP wasn't specific about that)....
Well, thread title is this:

Allstate safe drive damages electrical components?

Anyways, I would never plug one of those into my car. It also wouldn't surprise me if it was possible for damage to occur if jammed in.

Old 03-18-19, 10:15 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It is certainly possible that some device could cause damage in some fashion, but I think it's very unlikely. The usual little plug-in is just a monitor with a GPS receiver that phones home from time to time. When my wife got a traffic ticket a decade ago she was given the option of erasing the citation from her insurance record if she was willing to drive around with the device a month or so to see if she was an insurance risk. She did, she wasn't, and that was that. I thought it was a clever idea.