Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fuel--we all need it

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default fuel--we all need it

There are many things we have in common, food, housing, fuel. I was in Central PA (I think? lol) last week and told how much cheaper the fuel is in MD and it's only down the road, WV is near, etc. etc. People said they usually have the tanks low and fill up in MD. Of course, why not, if it's just there?

Well, this vehicle (below) filled up at Costco yesterday. I think the jokes of, "If you fill up at Costco, you don't deserve to drive a ______________________," are long gone. Top Tier baby! Now if he got tires as well, that would be truly funny.

My brother emailed me some articles how some stations in CT were selling leaded aviation fuel? And all kinds of scams implicating a south NJ transport co.? The more I hear that, the more I want to stick to large corporate retailers, where I just think it's less likely for funny business....and Costco is just fine with me!

Old 03-18-19, 07:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Could be the Rolls Royce’s owners driver filling it up. Maybe the driver shops at Costco.
Old 03-18-19, 08:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It sounds cliché, but the wealthy people I know care about money and its accountability. It actually imho is not the dollar amount itself, but knowing that the amount is fair or makes sense. In other words, I know a certain person who did a kitchen remodel that must have been more than a million dollars, yet he asked me for specifics on an iPad that was $1899, and decided not to get it, as it was too much in his eyes. Then, you see the way such folks raise their children and it's fascinating. Unlike the scandal, they often seem to want their children to succeed on their own, and realize not every one will be able to excel. I'm not in those shoes but it seemed to me to be, here's the opportunity. It's up to you to take advantage of it.

I personally think an iPad that costs $1899 is insulting. Apparently wealthy do too.
Old 03-18-19, 08:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

This should not surprise you. Costco customers have the highest median income of any major retailer. As of 4 years ago, the average Costco customer was 2 years older than the average for all stores, and had a household income of $100,000, almost double the national average. To put that into perspective, the average Wal-Mart shopper has a household income of $53k, vs. $65k for Target and $63k for Amazon.
Old 03-18-19, 08:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This should not surprise you. Costco customers have the highest median income of any major retailer. As of 4 years ago, the average Costco customer was 2 years older than the average for all stores, and had a household income of $100,000, almost double the national average. To put that into perspective, the average Wal-Mart shopper has a household income of $53k, vs. $65k for Target and $63k for Amazon.
I agree, in 2007 people on the forum thought to fuel up at Costco meant you can't afford a BMW.

Today, how many Lexus, BMW, MB, etc. are in Costco parking lots? And members have some off the charts renewal rates. Contrast to BJ's warehouse, my wife and I have been members for years, all on trials, free. They must have 2.5 locations for every 1.0 Costco. For 2018, we got an offer of 1 yr. for $20, so we paid. Costco would never do that, and has no need to do it.

The thing that always made me curious, Costco is supposed to be one of the best employers, but for the most part, their employees can be very rude. Yesterday, they would not cash my Citi rewards certificate, said it was too much lol I said I have always cashed it at the register for about 7 years now. They were willing to let me "apply" it to my purchase. Why? I would not earn rewards on my purchase that way. So I had to speak with the manager and he apologized and said I understand you have always cashed it at the register, but with everyone doing that, we have run out of money. hahahahahahahahahahahaha I told him I believe you, thanks for your time--he had cust. svc. skills so what's the point in getting into an argument. So I tucked my tail between my legs and now have to find a location that has some money lol

edit p.s. my point is they are lying to say there is no money yet I can apply it to my purchase. They are discouraging people from cashing in those Citi certificates. I had another Costco tell me they don't price adjust, you have to return the item and buy it again. Told the location near me about that and they said that is totally false. We would rather you come in with your receipt, and we credit the difference, than for you to return and buy again. Then, yet another store said they don't generally accept returns from other locations, we will do it as a one time courtesy, but you really should take it back to that store? lmao

They are all trying to meet numbers, I am sure. Somehow they must get dinged for the Citi certs.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-18-19 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 10:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

If you have the Costco membership and need gas, why not just fill up? Just because it's cheaper gas doesn't mean it's... cheaper. You have to pay the membership fee to even be able to fuel up there.

I've heard rumors that Costco gas isn't up to snuff - but I've been putting it in my IS on a semi-regular basis for over a year now and seen nothing ill from it. When I don't put Costco gas in it I typically go to QuikTrip, sometimes Valero. It's probably about 60/40 QT gas to Costco. It's Top Tier though, at least...
Old 03-18-19, 10:26 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Sam's Club has the lowest gas in my area and is the closest for me even though I do belong to Costco also.
Old 03-18-19, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Well, this vehicle (below) filled up at Costco yesterday. I think the jokes of, "If you fill up at Costco, you don't deserve to drive a ______________________," are long gone. Top Tier baby! Now if he got tires as well, that would be truly funny.
Top Tier retailers include 76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Co-op, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express, Exxon, Holiday, Kwik Star Stores, Kwik Trip, Mahalo, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Petro-Canada, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell / Shell V-Power, Sinclair Standard, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Tempo, Texaco, Tri-Par, and Valero.