Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging >

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

 
Old 03-13-19, 11:34 AM
  #1  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 6,864
Thanked 337 Times in 264 Posts
Default Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

More badges and some generous rounding up, that's the answer!

Cadillac announced today that, starting with the 2020 model year, it's adopting a new engine-naming scheme in which the powertrain designation will be based on its torque number. The automaker says that's to give buyers "a clear understanding of the power differences across the lineup."

The three-digit number, which will show up on exterior badging, comes from torque measured in newton-meters, which the automaker points out is an international standard of measurement that is recognized everywhere (we use pound-feet to measure torque in the U.S.). With the increasing use of turbocharging and electrification of future models, it's "all about the torque," says Cadillac president Steve Carlisle, so finding a way to quantify that in the engine name is what Cadillac decided to do.

The first example of the new naming scheme is the 400 badge seen here on the new XT6 crossover. That number corresponds to the 3.6-liter V-6's 271 lb-ft of torque, which is 367 newton meters of torque; Cadillac generously rounds it up to 400 and says it will round each number to the nearest 50. Every 2020 model-year and later Cadillac except for the V-series will get the new engine badges, starting with the XT6, Cadillac said. A "T" will denote turbocharging on some models.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-names-2020/
JDR76 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 12:01 PM
  #2  
situman
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,616
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I'm going for an 18-wheeler. 1million newton meters, here I come!
situman is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 12:19 PM
  #3  
tex2670
Lexus Fanatic
 
tex2670's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 5,667
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
More badges and some generous rounding up, that's the answer!



https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-names-2020/
Ok, it is now official. Cadillac has absolutely no idea what it's doing.
tex2670 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:17 PM
  #4  
pbm317
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,136
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It's too early for April Fools....
pbm317 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:23 PM
  #5  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 37,530
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Or... Cadillac you could do it right like the Aviator and GV80 and do RWD like your original SRX. Take the opportunity and stuff a V8 or one of your twin turbo sixes in there. You can’t hide your 3.6L behind a “400” badge. You’re not fooling anyone!
Hoovey2411 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:39 PM
  #6  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,771
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Another crap on Cadillac thread, just great. Why do you all care anyways? Nobody on here is going to buy a Cadillac no matter what they do (aside from one member). What I find interesting is that everyone likes to crap on Cadillac, but these members fail to give credit where credit is due. Two Lexus threads were just closed recently because the LS500 lacked at V8 etc or that Lexus might no longer be a luxury brand. Then there is always the remote touch debate.

So here is Cadillac, coming out with a new naming structure. Let’s also take a moment to recognize what else they are doing. They have a new Blackwing V8 coming (where is the next Lexus V8 ), the new engine in the CT6 is handcrafted, they also have outstanding performance vehicles on their V series models that top 550 horses, (what does Lexus top out at), the performance cars are made with lots of aluminum and carbon fibre. Heck, Cadillac even has Apple CarPlay and Android auto (where is the Lexus offering ). Then you have their new models like the XT4 going touch screen and remote touch, wow? Let’s make it easy.

So maybe Cadillac is offering something pretty good. All the so called enthusiasts on here look to be full of it. Good for Cadillac

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 03-13-19 at 01:42 PM.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 03-13-19, 01:47 PM
  #7  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 37,530
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Another crap on Cadillac thread, just great. Why do you all care anyways? Nobody on here is going to buy a Cadillac no matter what they do (aside from one member). What I find interesting is that everyone likes to crap on Cadillac, but these members fail to give credit where credit is due. Two Lexus threads were just closed recently because the LS500 lacked at V8 etc or that Lexus might no longer be a luxury brand. Then there is always the remote touch debate.

So here is Cadillac, coming out with a new naming structure. Let’s also take a moment to recognize what else they are doing. They have a new Blackwing V8 coming (where is the next Lexus V8 ), the new engine in the CT6 is handcrafted, they also have outstanding performance vehicles on their V series models that too 500 horses, (what does Lexus top out at), the performance cars are made with lots of aluminum and carbon fibre. Heck, Cadillac even has Apple CarPlay and Android auto (where is the Lexus offering ). Then you have their new models like the XT4 going touch screen and remote touch, wow? Let’s make it easy.

So maybe Cadillac is offering something pretty good.

We’re crapping on the XT6 Jill. A large FWD based suv with a ho-hum 3.6L. Compare that to Lincoln and Genesis who are taking the fight right to BMW X5 and Benz GLE with the Aviator and GV80. Both RWD based and TTV6 or V8 galore. Cadillac was once “The standard of the world”. This “400” wont help them achieve that. A premium model like the CT6 or a new V8 which you always like to point out could.

This has nothing to do with Lexus. But since you mentioned it, ToMoCo already announced Android Auto for future cars, and I’ve reported the next 5RX will debut a new infotainment system which includes touchscreen. If you want to crap on Lexus, make a new thread. Can we get back to Cadillac now?
Hoovey2411 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:50 PM
  #8  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 6,864
Thanked 337 Times in 264 Posts
Default

Oh Jill. No, I didn't create this as some "crap on Cadillac" thread.

It is automotive news when a manufacturer makes a change in their naming scheme. This thread is meant to discuss that. Whether I would ever buy a Cadillac or not has no bearing on the topic.

If the thread upsets you, perhaps you should just avoid it. That's what I did with some of the other threads on here lately. No biggie. It's not up to me to tell others on here what to discuss or not discuss.
JDR76 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:50 PM
  #9  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,771
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
If you want to crap on Lexus, make a new thread. Can we get back to Cadillac now?
I am not crapping on Lexus. Just pointing them out as reference since everyone wants to bash Cadillac all the time. . So what has Cadillac done that you like?
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 03-13-19, 01:54 PM
  #10  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,771
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
Oh Jill. No, I didn't create this as some "crap on Cadillac" thread.

It is automotive news when a manufacturer makes a change in their naming scheme. This thread is meant to discuss that. Whether I would ever buy a Cadillac or not has no bearing on the topic.

If the thread upsets you, perhaps you should just avoid it. That's what I did with some of the other threads on here lately. No biggie. It's not up to me to tell others on here what to discuss or not discuss.
I am just giving my opinion on the matter. It just seems like everyone wants to always crap on Cadillac. That’s all. I think it is always fair to point out and remember the positives when people are so negative
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 03-13-19, 02:07 PM
  #11  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,771
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Here is another explanation of the naming change as Cadillac is going to use these names for their upcoming electric cars.

https://www.slashgear.com/cadillac-r...e-up-13569665/
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 03-13-19, 02:08 PM
  #12  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 37,530
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
I am not crapping on Lexus. Just pointing them out as reference since everyone wants to bash Cadillac all the time. . So what has Cadillac done that you like?
V
VSport
Upcoming CT6-V
ATS
Escala Concept
Elmiraj Concept
Ciel Concept
Hoovey2411 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 02:11 PM
  #13  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 11,771
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post


V
VSport
Upcoming CT6-V
ATS
Escala Concept
Elmiraj Concept
Ciel Concept
Thanks 👍. ....
LexsCTJill is online now  
Old 03-13-19, 02:18 PM
  #14  
arentz07
Lexus Champion
 
arentz07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,277
Thanked 112 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
We’re crapping on the XT6 Jill. A large FWD based suv with a ho-hum 3.6L. Compare that to Lincoln and Genesis who are taking the fight right to BMW X5 and Benz GLE with the Aviator and GV80. Both RWD based and TTV6 or V8 galore. Cadillac was once “The standard of the world”. This “400” wont help them achieve that. A premium model like the CT6 or a new V8 which you always like to point out could.
You know what's kinda sad? The "400" might help them.

Potential buyer: "Ah yeah, I had an RX 400h back in the day, good to see Cadillac is making a similar car, the XT6 400!"

What, you haven't heard of the "Lexus 350"? :P
arentz07 is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 02:42 PM
  #15  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 37,530
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
You know what's kinda sad? The "400" might help them.

Potential buyer: "Ah yeah, I had an RX 400h back in the day, good to see Cadillac is making a similar car, the XT6 400!"

What, you haven't heard of the "Lexus 350"? :P
Lol perhaps.

Let’s play a game

hmm CT6
3.6 = 385 N.m = CT6 400
3.0 = 542 N.m = CT6 550
2.0 = 400 N.m = CT6 400 (discontinued)
4.2 = 850 N.m = CT6-V or CT6 850 (lmao)
Hoovey2411 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: