Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 08:53 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right now the only significant electric thing on the XT6 is its power windows and rear hatch. This naming scheme and the brand marketing manager who devised it will be long gone by the time the XT goes even remotely all electric or mild hybrid electric.

People will still buy the XT6 just like they buy the XT5. You see lots of those around and their owners obviously like them.
Old 03-14-19, 09:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Cadillac has nobody but themselves to blame.

I have driven ATS, CTS, XTS, and CT6. Also the CTS-V.

The exterior styling is good and you can clearly tell its a Caddy.
Driving dynamics are good overall but not class leader.

The Bad
- Powertrain choices are poor and well below competition.
- Interior design and materials are poor compared to competitors
​​​​​​- CUE is horrendous
​​​​​​- Pricing is delusional
​​​​​- Model name changes are idiotic, I still don’t get what CT6 means???
Old 03-14-19, 10:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

It's just a name. Who really cares anyways? Does anyone really care that a hardtop Z4 is being called a Supra? No not at all as long as the underlying product doesnt suck.
Old 03-14-19, 01:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It's just a name. Who really cares anyways? Does anyone really care that a hardtop Z4 is being called a Supra? No not at all as long as the underlying product doesnt suck.
The SUPRA name is the only reason anybody cares about that car.

Branding is extremely important in selling any product to the consumer.
Either way poor branding and model confusion is only part of the problem for Cadillac as I outlined.

Old 03-14-19, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
But the 3.6 in the XT5 is not an overly torquey motor, so labeling an engine with 271 lb-ft of torque as a "400" seems silly to me.
271 lb-ft of torque is 367Nm, so they want to round 367Nm to 400 This is done because they are anticipating all of this for their electric cars.
Old 03-14-19, 01:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
271 lb-ft of torque is 367Nm, so they want to round 367Nm to 400 This is done because they are anticipating all of this for their electric cars.
Yes, I know, as I said, they use a unit most here are not familiar with, and combine it with some very generous rounding (nearly 10%).

And when things go electric, do you think manufacturers are going to use Newton Meters or Lb-Ft in their US specifications?

When you see a badge on a car that says "V6" or "3.6" or even "3600" that tells you something about the engine in that car. When someone sees a "400" on a Cadillac, what will that tell them? Probably not that it was a rounded up figure from 367 Nm which relates to 271 lb-ft of torque, would be my guess.

Last edited by JDR76; 03-14-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 01:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It is another scam. In the past, GM has often fooled and pushed the limits with gimmicks and marketing trickery. 98% of the buying public will assume 400 refers to today's lb-ft standards even though it doesn't. ***GM knows exactly that,*** and that's why they are implementing it. It's another sly gimmick from the old ways GM used to operate. This would be no different than if Toyota said their four cylinder Camry produced 300 horsepower, just because hey... somewhere out there someone has a different formula. Desperate acts, but not surprising.
Old 03-14-19, 01:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And when things go electric, do you think manufacturers are going to use Newton Meters or Lb-Ft in their US specifications?
That I would not know. What does Tesla use? Or BMW for their electric cars? for their specs

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 01:46 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

This is bad for Cadillac. They have a real identity crisis and now wants to be defined by how it's named or numbered, not the product they're selling. Get me a 400 XLE ? It takes years to figure out what you're talking about. Do consumers have 3-4 more years to make sense of what Cadillac is saying? They are out to confuse consumers with what they're selling and obviously there is no product worthy of Cadillac name. When EV's come along, the torque representation will be crazy and add to the overall confusion.
Old 03-14-19, 01:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

That I would not know. What does Tesla use? Or BMW for their electric cars? for their specs
BMW uses lb-ft, at least on their BMWUSA site. I don't see torque values listed on the Tesla site, I only find acceleration results and no horsepower or torque ratings.
Old 03-14-19, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nobody in the U.S. cares about NM. If you're going to market in the U.S., use ft-lbs. like it is supposed to be.
Old 03-14-19, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

BMW uses lb-ft, at least on their BMWUSA site. I don't see torque values listed on the Tesla site, I only find acceleration results and no horsepower or torque ratings.
I tried to find the Tesla rating, but none. How familiar are you with Nm worldwide? Does any manufacture outside of the US use that rating in any way?
Old 03-14-19, 02:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I tried to find the Tesla rating, but none. How familiar are you with Nm worldwide? Does any manufacture outside of the US use that rating in any way?
I only know Nm because I had to learn it in engineering school (we had to learn both "Standard" and "SI" systems of measurement).

I would expect that most nations using the SI system would use Nm in their torque specs.
Old 03-14-19, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would expect that most nations using the SI system would use Nm in their torque specs.
I thought I have seen the use of Nm in other specs for world sites. I think Cadillac wants to completely change their perception from any past naming for their cars that are supposed to be all electric by somepoint.
Old 03-14-19, 02:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I have seen the use of Nm in other specs for world sites. I think Cadillac wants to completely change their perception from any past naming for their cars that are supposed to be all electric by somepoint.
But it still doesn't change the fact that the XT6 is not an electric vehicle. Slapping a badge on it as if it currently is and needs to be measured that way is underhanded brand deception. Tesla and Audi don't state their USA numbers in nM. In fact they're more likely to provide performance figures like 0-60. btw there does not appear to be any manufacturer of mainstream cars or mass market electric cars/suvs that even invokes the metric measurement for torque or even kW in Canada or the USA.

The only metrics that manufacturers started using a long time ago were for engine displacement going from cubic inches to cubic centimeters which rounded to liters.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging