Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 01:26 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Genesis Dealer Experience

Hi All -

I'm a new member to the forum. I have a '16 IS350 and the lease is up in March.

I went to a Genesis dealership in Scottsdale, AZ to test drive the new G70. The car is very nice looking in the blue but a little underwhelming from the rear.

Anyways, I asked to test drive the 3.3T model and the sales rep said they had to run a credit check first to make sure I was a 'serious buyer.'

I thought he was joking at first since the car is not a limited edition which would normally warrant vetting. If I asked to test drive a new GT500 I would expect that, not a G70.

I asked to speak with his manager and was told this is the norm for this car passed down from corporate.

I walked out. Not sure this is an isolated incident but vetting buyers for what I deem is a 'regular car' is not a good way to earn my business. Just wanted to share with the board in case anyone is interested in driving this car.
Old 01-27-19, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That seem a bit odd. Genesis in Toronto refuses to do any same day test drives, you must come back the next day (these would be for the locations inside shopping malls). Also, Genesis in Toronto refuses to move off MSRP, it really is bizarre.
Old 01-27-19, 01:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFTW
Hi All -

I'm a new member to the forum. I have a '16 IS350 and the lease is up in March.

I went to a Genesis dealership in Scottsdale, AZ to test drive the new G70. The car is very nice looking in the blue but a little underwhelming from the rear.

Anyways, I asked to test drive the 3.3T model and the sales rep said they had to run a credit check first to make sure I was a 'serious buyer.'

I thought he was joking at first since the car is not a limited edition which would normally warrant vetting. If I asked to test drive a new GT500 I would expect that, not a G70.

I asked to speak with his manager and was told this is the norm for this car passed down from corporate.

I walked out. Not sure this is an isolated incident but vetting buyers for what I deem is a 'regular car' is not a good way to earn my business. Just wanted to share with the board in case anyone is interested in driving this car.
Maybe I could give it a pass if you drove up in a '92 Civic. But, in your shoes, I'd have done the same thing. If that's the Genesis brand's policy, I wish them the best of luck; they are going to need it.
Old 01-27-19, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That seem a bit odd. Genesis in Toronto refuses to do any same day test drives, you must come back the next day (these would be for the locations inside shopping malls)
Welcome to the forum, AZFTW.

What you experienced at the AZ dealership may (?) have had something to do with local laws and/or practices in your area...that, I can't say, as they may vary nationwide. And, in Jill's case in Toronto, where they display new Genesis models in public malls, it obviously may take some pre-planning for a formal test-drive. But, as someone living in the D.C. area for many years (and as someone who routinely test-drives and reviews a lot of new vehicles), I can tell you that, for me, In this area, I've never had anyone, ever, from any vehicle manufacturer, ask me for a credit check as a condition for a test-drive. I've been asked, many times, for a valid Driver's License (which they sometimes Xerox), and occasionally for proof of insurance (Virginia law requires one to carry proof of minimum state-mandated insurance with you), and, in some cases, to also sign a Test-Drive-Permit, especially if I'm going to be behind the wheel alone, without a rep with me. And I don't mind signing (or providing) any of those things, as, in some 50 years of test-driving, I have never damaged or wrecked a vehicle from any of the dealerships. But, no, I have never been asked for a credit-check before a test-drive....in fact, it is none of their business, as some customers, like may, if we de do buy something, pay cash. I HAVE been asked, once or twice, when a bill of sale was being written up, and I was actually purchasing a vehicle, for a credit-check, when paying cash (they claimed it is a reqirement of the Patriot Act, even if not actually financing anything). Sounds a little bogus to me, but then, I'm not a lawyer, and don't know all the ins and outs of business law.

BTW, if you actually get another chance to drive a G70, take it. I just did a full-review of an AWD 2.0T version one myself, a couple of weeks ago, here in Car Chat, and was very impressed with it. It is a well-built, well-engineered machine, tightly screwed together, with solid durable materials, and, IMO, one of the top sport-sedans in its class....easily the best challenge yet to the BMW 3-series.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 02:29 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replies. I actually rolled up in my girlfriends' Jetta. And AZ doesn't have any unusual laws with test drives. I drove a new Mustang GT with no questions asked last week. The sales rep didn't even get into the car with me.

I will probably try the other Genesis dealer in town since these cars are so well priced for what you get but the whole thing put me off
Old 01-27-19, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for replies. I actually rolled up in my girlfriends' Jetta. And AZ doesn't have any unusual laws with test drives. I drove a new Mustang GT with no questions asked last week. The sales rep didn't even get into the car with me.

I will probably try the other Genesis dealer in town since these cars are so well priced for what you get but the whole thing put me off
Don't let just one place put you off. Over the years, I've run into some snooty and aristocratic BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche dealerships that sometimes left me with less than an ideal taste in my mouth. But, I sometimes find that a sow's ear on one street could mean a silk purse on another...with much nicer and more reasonable people. Now, if a second Genesis shop tries some questionable tactics with you, then I'd report it to Genesis Customer Service and/or your local Better Business Bureau. Dealerships don't like negative publicity, especially with their own corporate bosses, and/or where the status of their franchises could be at stake.
Old 01-27-19, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I actually rolled up in my girlfriends' Jetta.
ok, that was your first mistake.

just wondering, and no disrespect meant, but how old are you? if you're very young and roll up in a jetta they may rightfully question whether there's any reasonable possibility you're serious about the vehicle, or just want to go for a joy ride and waste the dealer's time. i have zero problem with what the dealer did. while i'm no fan of dealers in general, i know that they can and are frequently abused by consumers so it goes both ways.

might want to call the dealer first and arrange the test drive.
Old 01-27-19, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Nothing wrong with rolling up in a Jetta. Many start off with a respectable entry car (as is the Jetta) and want to move up to the next level. This is a very normal and common build up of car buying and ownership. If it was an older, falling apart POS, then maybe I can see the dealer being coy.
Overall, I wouldn't let it get to you. There are good and bad dealers out there. Perhaps this one had a bad experience with some past customers. Having managed and owned retail for decades, I can attest a lot can happen with the public. Go with the car you want.
Old 01-27-19, 11:10 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't been to one of the new Genesis dealers (there are none in Tucson), but my experience driving the Kia Stinger was very different. Photos of my drivers license and insurance card and I was off without a salesman ride-along. I was told to take it home and show it to my wife since it would be replacing her Honda coupe. I was gone about an hour and no one seemed concerned. Unfortunately, the wife wants to keep her Accord, so no Stinger right now. I'm sure it is a dealer thing on vetting, not any kind of AZ law.
Old 01-28-19, 07:27 AM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

I called and spoke with the other Genesis dealer yesterday afternoon and they said I could test drive the G70, no problem. So it sounds like it's a dealer specific thing which is interesting.

If anyone is wondering who lives in Phoenix, the dealer that said 'no test drives without credit check' is Chapman in central Scottsdale off the 101.

And my girlfriends' Jetta is a 2019. Again, the new G70 is not a super high end car lol. The 3.3T Advanced sticker is like $44k. I had a Civic prior to my IS and the sales guy had no issues letting me test drive that...
Old 01-28-19, 09:30 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard people having that same issue when Test Driving the Stinger, it's stupid. Just because you drive a certain car doesn't mean you don't have money. I know a few Tech Millionaires that drive beater cars to work and have GT3's for weekend track days. These people are morons, I'd love for that to happen then return in a Porsche and tell them to ****** off.
Old 01-28-19, 09:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

To be fair, I got asked to do a credit check when I first test-drove my IS back in 2016. Last time I went in for a test drive, about a month ago, they didn't ask me to do a credit check. I guess it depends on who's working, or perhaps if you have a history with the dealership. For me, the latter probably applied.

Then again, when I went in to test drive, pretty sure I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and rolled up in my Camry. lol.
Old 01-28-19, 09:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I've heard people having that same issue when Test Driving the Stinger, it's stupid. Just because you drive a certain car doesn't mean you don't have money. I know a few Tech Millionaires that drive beater cars to work and have GT3's for weekend track days. These people are morons, I'd love for that to happen then return in a Porsche and tell them to ****** off.
Unfortunately, impression is a big factor in western society. Those who have true wealth, it really makes no difference what they drive. A good salesperson or dealer leadership should know this. I would simply go somewhere else, or just pass on the brand if it is that hard to test drive. Just think, if they are that difficult to deal with for a test drive, imagine how hard it would be to negotiate some sort of price discussion.
Old 01-28-19, 09:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Such an odd situation.

I would not allow a dealership access to my SSN and credit history in exchange for a test drive.

I have never been requested to provide that info. When I drove the Stinger, I actually parked my GS around the corner and walked a block in to the dealer. They never had any qualms about letting me test drive it. In fact, they seemed very excited that I wanted to drive a Stinger. Several of the sales associates commented on it. It wasn't until after the test drive that one of them asked me what I currently drive.
Old 01-28-19, 09:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Such an odd situation.

I would not allow a dealership access to my SSN and credit history in exchange for a test drive.
Couldn't agree more. Your SSN is the most valuable thing you have - you should be extremely stingy giving it out. I have an app on my phone that shows my credit score at each of the 3 bureaus and shows the date the information was pulled (monthly). If someone wanted to know my credit score to test drive a car, I'd show them that and if that wasn't enough, I'd move on.

Quick Reply: Genesis Dealer Experience