Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis Dealer Experience

Old 01-28-19, 10:20 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Unfortunately, impression is a big factor in western society. Those who have true wealth, it really makes no difference what they drive. A good salesperson or dealer leadership should know this. I would simply go somewhere else, or just pass on the brand if it is that hard to test drive. Just think, if they are that difficult to deal with for a test drive, imagine how hard it would be to negotiate some sort of price discussion.
You're right, Genesis is making a huge mistake by assuming this is how luxury dealers behave. I've rarely had to ask for a test drive, usually the sales person is eager to take me out on a drive because they think it will get me attached to the car. The fact some dealerships behave this way is idiotic. It's funny because I"m originally from New York where appearance is a big deal. Wearing suits to clubs/bars/parties is normal. Out here Billionaires wear t shirts and jeans with converse and may pull up to an event in a Lamborghini. You just never know who you're dealing with or who has money.
Old 01-28-19, 10:49 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally probably wouldn't agree to a credit check; that seems a bit much.

When I was given a loaner RX at the Lexus dealer a few months ago they made a photocopy of my license and my insurance card. That's it.

But I'd also encourage you to not be too hard on the dealer--just go somewhere else. It could be that they had a very expensive incident a week before you walked in and that the sales manager was told he would be fired if it ever happened again. You just never know.

Last edited by riredale; 01-28-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 11:03 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

If this happened to me, especially coming up in a comparable car of the same class, I'd drive away from the dealer so fast.

Maybe leave a review on Google Maps for that dealership so other people have a heads-up, hopefully that will make the dealer change their preferred practices.
Old 01-28-19, 12:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I've heard people having that same issue when Test Driving the Stinger,
In the D.C. area, I did both a static-review and test-drive on a new Stinger 2.0T with no problem. All depends on the dealership.
Old 01-28-19, 12:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFTW
Hi All -

I'm a new member to the forum. I have a '16 IS350 and the lease is up in March.

I went to a Genesis dealership in Scottsdale, AZ to test drive the new G70. The car is very nice looking in the blue but a little underwhelming from the rear.

Anyways, I asked to test drive the 3.3T model and the sales rep said they had to run a credit check first to make sure I was a 'serious buyer.'

I thought he was joking at first since the car is not a limited edition which would normally warrant vetting. If I asked to test drive a new GT500 I would expect that, not a G70.

I asked to speak with his manager and was told this is the norm for this car passed down from corporate.

I walked out. Not sure this is an isolated incident but vetting buyers for what I deem is a 'regular car' is not a good way to earn my business. Just wanted to share with the board in case anyone is interested in driving this car.
They don't deserve your business if they talk to you or treat you like that. Unfortunately it has more to do with who owns and manages the dealership and what they teach their salesman and staff then the brand itself. I highly doubt Genesis corporate told their dealership sales staff to run credit checks on potential customers to make sure they were "serious" and have this uppity attitude of judging/sizing up potential buyers. I could maybe understanding a Ferrari or Rolls Royce dealership doing that to make sure people aren't taking really rare expensive cars for joy rides or doing other things but not a mass market company. Most of the time I show up at dealerships in jeans and leather jacket in the winter, I look very young for my age and most salesman after talking to me want me to take a test drive, I don't even have to ask. They ride with me of course but if I had to beg for a test drive and they wanted to run a credit check to make sure I was a "serious buyer". I would say forget it then and walk away and not deal with that dealership anymore.
Old 01-28-19, 04:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, that was your first mistake.

just wondering, and no disrespect meant, but how old are you? if you're very young and roll up in a jetta they may rightfully question whether there's any reasonable possibility you're serious about the vehicle, or just want to go for a joy ride and waste the dealer's time. i have zero problem with what the dealer did. while i'm no fan of dealers in general, i know that they can and are frequently abused by consumers so it goes both ways.

might want to call the dealer first and arrange the test drive.
No--that's the dealer's first mistake. Don't assume that the "unassuming" customer doesn't have the means to purchase.
Old 01-28-19, 04:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
To be fair, I got asked to do a credit check when I first test-drove my IS back in 2016. Last time I went in for a test drive, about a month ago, they didn't ask me to do a credit check. I guess it depends on who's working, or perhaps if you have a history with the dealership. For me, the latter probably applied.

Then again, when I went in to test drive, pretty sure I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and rolled up in my Camry. lol.
I don't see why that makes it ok.

What if you are cross-shopping the Genesis with 2, 3 or 4 other cars? NFW 5 dealers are all doing credit checks on me--not until I decide that is the car I am buying, and that is the dealer I'm buying from. It's a test drive, FFS. License, proof of insurance, and I'll let them put a hold on my credit card, if they must. That's it.

Originally Posted by riredale
When I was given a loaner RX at the Lexus dealer a few months ago they made a photocopy of my license and my insurance card. That's it.
Well, in fairness, they also have your car, and your keys...

Last edited by tex2670; 01-28-19 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 05:00 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670

What if you are cross-shopping the Genesis with 2, 3 or 4 other cars? NFW 5 dealers are all doing credit checks on me--not until I decide that is the car I am buying, and that is the dealer I'm buying from. It's a test drive, FFS. License, proof of insurance, and I'll let them put a hold on my credit card, if they must. That's it.

Well, in fairness, they also have your car, and your keys...
This is exactly what I'm doing. I already drove a Mustang GT and I'm going to test drive the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport in addition to the G70. I will only do a credit check until I negotiate the price and know I'm going with that specific car.

Anyways, from the research I've done it appears these cars are going for MSRP as a previous poster said. I'm curious to see what kind of lease I can get. I'll let you guys know in case anyone is interested in the car!
Old 01-28-19, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No--that's the dealer's first mistake. Don't assume that the "unassuming" customer doesn't have the means to purchase.
Exactly. Not only that, but several well-known billionaires drive ordinary everyday mid-size cars......not brand-new ones, either.
Old 01-28-19, 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

a test drive, FFS. License, proof of insurance, and I'll let them put a hold on my credit card, if they must. That's it.
Whats an FFS? A car dealer would not need your proof of insurance. For what purpose would you accept a hold on your credit card?
Old 01-28-19, 07:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Whats an FFS?
For F's Sake.

A car dealer would not need your proof of insurance.
If you crash the car, I'm sure they'd rather not claim under their insurance. I don't know if they need it, but if they asked, I'd give it.
For what purpose would you accept a hold on your credit card?
My dealer takes this when I get a loaner, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but, again, I would be ok giving it to them.
Old 01-28-19, 07:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For F's Sake.

If you crash the car, I'm sure they'd rather not claim under their insurance. I don't know if they need it, but if they asked, I'd give it.
My dealer takes this when I get a loaner, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but, again, I would be ok giving it to them.
FFS, now I know the lingo lol.

Your insurance would not cover a different car, your car insurance is on your car, . I could be wrong though.

I thought you meant credit card for test drive. Not loaner. My bad.
Old 01-29-19, 05:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

FFS, now I know the lingo lol.

Your insurance would not cover a different car, your car insurance is on your car, . I could be wrong though.

I thought you meant credit card for test drive. Not loaner. My bad.
In the US, my policy would cover a rental car (this is how you can decline the rental agency's highly profitable insurance add-ons); I never checked about a test drive, but I can't think why it would be different. If you run down a pedestrian during your test drive, the dealer's insurance is not going to defend or cover you.

What I meant was, my dealer takes an "imprint" of my CC when I get a loaner, so if a dealer required the same thing for a test drive, it wouldn't bother me.
Old 01-29-19, 08:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,790 Posts

It doesn't make it ok.

My point was: Genesis isn't the only brand capable of making these kinds of mistakes.
Old 01-29-19, 09:04 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the D.C. area, I did both a static-review and test-drive on a new Stinger 2.0T with no problem. All depends on the dealership.
It's not the lower model stinger people were having trouble test driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genesis Dealer Experience