Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)

Been driving around in my fathers Avalon for the last few days. Simply put, Apple Car Play (assuming Android Auto for those who have Android) is an absolute deal breaker going forward. The Toyota stock navigation on board (and the Lexus system from what I remember of my CT and my parents ES350) comes nowhere close to how easy, and efficient it has become with Google maps on Car Play. From the immediate live traffic, to the ease of voice recognition, I would simply say the stock systems are just downright terrible. Further more, reading out text messages is so simple an straightforward, a child could use it. You can reply with a simple touch to the screen, and it runs so fluid. Even better is that you get the immediate updates from Google and Apple as soon as you update.

Where Apple Car Play does falter is in the execution of some of the basic Toyota functions. For example, if you were sitting in a parking lot listening to the car radio, and all of a sudden picked up your phone, the phone becomes live where the Apple Car Play screen goes back to the main Apple menu. As you browse, if you come to website such as CNN, the car stops the music so you can listen to the CNN videos, but then as you re-enter maps and assume your guest enters the car and you drive off, the music does not come back. Another issue is when you leave the car and disconnect your phone, you have to go back through the menus to enter project to enter Apple Car Play once again. Its kind of similar to having something like ECO mode resetting to Normal mode every time you re-enter your car. Another crazy thing is the following, suppose you set your alarm clock to 5:30AM and it is set to alarm every day at that time, on this day you decide to leave the house at 500AM like I did today, and on your commute when the clock hits 5:30AM.....BAMM... All your car speakers are amplifying the alarm sound from your iPhone, all hell is breaking lose. Music playing, alarm going all at a crazy volume etc etc.

Good thing, you can easily change the radio source, station etc etc. Very easy to do. It is also nice to see XM Radio available. Waze. I did not try Apple Maps. but I might tomorrow.

In conclusion, I find it astonishing that Toyota and Lexus dropped the ball in that Apple Car Play was not available for the new Lexus models and newer Toyota models for so long. I do not believe that Toyota was only concerned with privacy, (that might be one issue), I do believe Toyota was worried about user experience. and all the bugs are not worked out, for example, the alarm clock ringing is just crazy as you are driving down the highway.. So I think they were forced to add it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In conclusion, I find it astonishing that Toyota and Lexus dropped the ball in that Apple Car Play was not available for the new Lexus models and newer Toyota models for so long. I do not believe that Toyota was only concerned with privacy, (that might be one issue), I do believe Toyota was worried about user experience. and all the bugs are not worked out, for example, the alarm clock ringing is just crazy as you are driving down the highway.. So I think they were forced to add it.
Lexus's is the least intrusive, I give them props. And they've had Siri-Eyes Free technology since 2013 so it had nothing to do with being 'forced' to adopt Apple. Generation 10 navigation systems were not readily available until late 2017 and now the new norm, hence six current models with Gen10 now have CarPlay for 2019 with the rest to follow. The Gen7, 8, and 9 systems don't support CarPlay.
Old 01-17-19, 03:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus's is the least intrusive, I give them props. And they've had Siri-Eyes Free technology since 2013 so it had nothing to do with being 'forced' to adopt Apple. Generation 10 navigation systems were not readily available until late 2017 and now the new norm, hence six current models with Gen10 now have CarPlay for 2019 with the rest to follow. The Gen7, 8, and 9 systems don't support CarPlay.
Dont believe what Toyota is telling you. The signed on for Apple Car play over 4 years ago. To suggest that their gen 8 or 9 software could not be adjusted to support does not make sense. Toyota is a major corporation. Second biggest car company in the world. To not of had it earlier is just absurd. LC and LS not having it in the first model year is unbelievable.
Old 01-17-19, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Dont believe what Toyota is telling you. The signed on for Apple Car play over 4 years ago. To suggest that their gen 8 or 9 software could not be adjusted to support does not make sense. Toyota is a major corporation. Second biggest car company in the world. To not of had it earlier is just absurd. LC and LS not having it in the first model year is unbelievable.
You aren't contracted with Lexus. It wasn't ready at the time, you can't wave a magic wand. Also ToMoCo is slow to adapt, that you should know.
Old 01-17-19, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Contracts can be exited. A major Corp like Toyota would have an out. Toyota is not always slow to adapt, they are when they want to.
Old 01-17-19, 03:57 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I sure hope Toyota/Lexus is finally able to solve the CarPlay dilemna and embrace it. It sounds like they are coming around slowly. Its on almost all 2019's but the GS & RX.
The Toyota line up may seem a 'test' ground for anything new and will move proven features/options up to a luxury version when it is appropriate. Better late than never.
Old 01-17-19, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Contracts can be exited. A major Corp like Toyota would have an out. Toyota is not always slow to adapt, they are when they want to.
I'm not going to argue with you on this anymore. Believe what you're being fed. Don't cry over spilled milk, it's here and will be prevalent in future ToMoCo vheicles. The point of your thread is you like Apple CarPlay. I also enjoy it. My next car and presumably yours too will surely have it.
Old 01-17-19, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
I sure hope Toyota/Lexus is finally able to solve the CarPlay dilemna and embrace it. It sounds like they are coming around slowly. Its on almost all 2019's but the GS & RX.
The Toyota line up may seem a 'test' ground for anything new and will move proven features/options up to a luxury version when it is appropriate. Better late than never.
Because the GS and RX use Gen9 navigation, not Gen10 which it's available on NX, UX, RC, LS, LC, ES.
Old 01-17-19, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Its on almost all 2019's but the GS & RX..
NX as well?
Old 01-17-19, 04:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have always been plenty satisfied with the Lexus navigation and the Enform apps. But now that Pandora is gone and I am having a very difficult time with decent music streaming I am realizing that my next car will need to have CarPlay.
Old 01-17-19, 05:33 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I love having CarPlay in my car and dont feel like I could ever have another DD without it. I never paid too much attention to it until it supported Waze. Now it is so nice to just plug in and have waze on the big screen and alerting me through the car. It is a deal breaker for me moving forward. My 2018 Q60 didn’t have it but my new 18 Murano does. Also, I believe Toyota doesn’t offer Android Auto, just Apple. Other brands support both
Old 01-18-19, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have always been plenty satisfied with the Lexus navigation and the Enform apps. But now that Pandora is gone and I am having a very difficult time with decent music streaming I am realizing that my next car will need to have CarPlay.
Why is Pandora so good?
Old 01-18-19, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusNN
I love having CarPlay in my car and dont feel like I could ever have another DD without it. I never paid too much attention to it until it supported Waze. Now it is so nice to just plug in and have waze on the big screen and alerting me through the car. It is a deal breaker for me moving forward. My 2018 Q60 didn’t have it but my new 18 Murano does. Also, I believe Toyota doesn’t offer Android Auto, just Apple. Other brands support both
How does the Car Play work with the Murano? Is it easy to use the radio and change stations and such while using it?
Old 01-18-19, 06:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus's is the least intrusive, I give them props. .
what does this mean?
Old 01-18-19, 06:21 PM
Hoovey689

what does this mean?
It doesn't relay as much user data as other makes version of CarPlay.

Quick Reply: Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)