Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The same. With Lexus, Gen10 capable cars built before middle of October 2018 do not have CarPlay. Toyota models are typically the first to debut a technology (like the Avalon), then it migrates over.
Ok. So this an interesting discussion IMO, this is why I am still on it, its not to be provocative or who's right or wrong. . In theory, the 2018 models such as the LC or LS or Camry should be able to upgrade to Apple Car Play in some way? Assuming Toyota would allow such an upgrade.
Old 01-19-19, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. So this an interesting discussion IMO, this is why I am still on it, its not to be provocative or who's right or wrong. . In theory, the 2018 models such as the LC or LS or Camry should be able to upgrade to Apple Car Play in some way? Assuming Toyota would allow such an upgrade.
That's fine. From what I heard months ago hearsay, Gen10 systems would be able to get a download (probably via dealership), but I have not heard of anything being available or in the pipeline. Considering there are no changes between 2018-2019, I don't see why they couldn't. The better question is WILL Lexus offer an update for the technology? IMO they should, though their track record does not bolster my opinion.
Old 01-19-19, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's fine. From what I heard months ago hearsay, Gen10 systems would be able to get a download (probably via dealership), but I have not heard of anything being available or in the pipeline. Considering there are no changes between 2018-2019, I don't see why they couldn't. The better question is WILL Lexus offer an update for the technology? IMO they should, though their track record does not bolster my opinion.
Thanks. So, in Australia, Apple Car Play in not available on the 2019 Lexus models or Toyota models that now have it as standard like in the USA. Could you see where I am coming from where I said earlier that Toyota was forced to add it? For example, from a user perspective, I tested Apple Maps in Car Play yesterday, unbelievably while radio is going, Apple maps is barking out orders on where to turn, while at the same time, my Apple watch is barking out direction via vibration and Apple watch screen illumination. Do you see the user experience nightmare? This just seems to be incomprehensible
Old 01-19-19, 11:56 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks. So, in Australia, Apple Car Play in not available on the 2019 Lexus models or Toyota models that now have it as standard like in the USA. Could you see where I am coming from where I said earlier that Toyota was forced to add it? For example, from a user perspective, I tested Apple Maps in Car Play yesterday, unbelievably while radio is going, Apple maps is barking out orders on where to turn, while at the same time, my Apple watch is barking out direction via vibration and Apple watch screen illumination. Do you see the user experience nightmare?
Not sure I fully understand what you're asking, but it's possible it could be a regional thing, and probably a bevy of things. In China, Apple doesn't have the same level of dominance as elsewhere in the world and Android Auto isn't available. That's why as I mentioned earlier in this thread that Ford, Toyota, and a coalition of automotive and technology companies are working on a Standard that can cater towards their customers while still promoting a branded environment ie a Ford experience, a Toyota one etc.. Australia/Oceania Pacific will likely get CarPlay at some point. I haven't been to Australia since the early 2000's, so I'm unfamiliar with what the customer base is asking for these days down under.

There are certainly a lot of wrinkles to iron out when it comes to connectivity with our vehicles. Your story is a prime example. In theory all this ideal, but in current practice it's in its infancy stage. 2020-2030 is going to be a whole new frontier when it comes to technology and vehicles.
Old 01-19-19, 12:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure I fully understand what you're asking, but it's possible it could be a regional thing, and probably a bevy of things.
So what I am saying is that, Toyota essentially is allowing a third party vendor to possibly determine and dictate the user experience in their cars. This is something that ultra conservative Toyota usually holds off on in the past. In this particular instance, its like Toyota had no say whatsoever in how Apple Car play gets implemented.

Here is in interesting read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/com...yota_vehicles/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Regarding bluetooth, I do not believe it is possible to make a phone call with out blue tooth on in Toyota cars. The wired connection does not work that way. I could be wrong.
The example I gave was of Lexus' system for a phone before Bluetooth existed. In our LS400 we had a portable Motorola phone, purchased from Lexus, that plugged into the console and once plugged in it worked through the car's controller installed on the steering wheel, through voice commands and over speakerphone in the car.

Here's the steering wheel controller:

This is where the phone was mounted under the armrest. Now, this one os a hardwired handset, ours was a portable Motorola phone that unplugged so you could use it outside the car also:

To me, the difference between CarPlay wired and wireless is a system like this. I want to just be able to get in the car and have it all sync and just work.

Any use of Apple Car Play is going to really drain your battery, I think this is why most manufacturers are not going the wireless way yet as most people would need to charge it while using it anyways. Data use and location services are big battery drain killers, so a half hour drive using Google Maps while using your data is going to off-set any convenience of just leaving it in your pocket. I agree that plugging the phone in all the time is not ideal and is an inconvenience.
Batteries are getting better, and cars have wireless chargers now. I'd rather just throw it on the wireless charger if the battery gets low than have to plug it in. Thats why I installed a wireless charging pad in my LS460 that didnt come with one.

Most of the time I'm not going to be using the navigation functions anyways
Old 01-19-19, 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS;1041446

[QUOTE=SW17LS;1041446

[img
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/720x540/295146d1377128652_guess_who_got_a_lexus_car_phone_today_this_guy_lsphone_e528cf6ee34a11029ab9b7f416333c321cf94552.jpg[/img]

Batteries are getting better, and cars have wireless chargers now. I'd rather just throw it on the wireless charger if the battery gets low than have to plug it in. Thats why I installed a wireless charging pad in my LS460 that didnt come with one.
Where is the wireless pad installed in your LS460?

Old 01-19-19, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Where is the wireless pad installed in your LS460?
Its in the top tray under the console. Here's a picture of it:

Old 01-19-19, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its in the top tray under the console. Here's a picture of it:

I am assuming you do not like your phone sitting in cupholder or on a seat charging with a plug?
Old 01-19-19, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am assuming you do not like your phone sitting in cupholder or on a seat charging with a plug?
Nope, I hate that. Also, having it under the console lid keeps me from looking at emails or texts when I'm driving
Old 01-19-19, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, I hate that. Also, having it under the console lid keeps me from looking at emails or texts when I'm driving
Just thought I would mention that my iPhone has Auto Drive mode, bans all notifications while driving.

I personally no longer take any phone calls, text message ever while driving thanks to this feature. There are a very few select people (parents, husband, and one person at my company) that can break the auto drive mode by calling.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just thought I would mention that my iPhone has Auto Drive mode, bans all notifications while driving.

I personally no longer take any phone calls, text message ever while driving thanks to this feature. There are a very few select people (parents, husband, and one person at my company) that can break the auto drive mode by calling.
I cant really use that (I tried when that feature came out). I get such a high volume of calls and texts that if I let them all build up when I was driving it would create a pile that would take me hours to get back out from under. I have been using my Apple Watch to scan texts for importance, and Siri Eyes Free to respond to the ones that are vital, and talking on the phone doesn't distract me since I've been doing it at a high volume for so many years.

I was having the car read out texts, but I get so many texts that all it was ever doing was reading texts. I can glance quickly at my watch when something comes in and see who it was from and decide if I need to respond or not pretty well.

I used to text and email and stuff while driving all the time but I have really gotten away from that because its so crazy dangerous.
Old 01-19-19, 01:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I cant really use that (I tried when that feature came out). I get such a high volume of calls and texts that if I let them all build up when I was driving it would create a pile that would take me hours to get back out from under. I have been using my Apple Watch to scan texts for importance, and Siri Eyes Free to respond to the ones that are vital, and talking on the phone doesn't distract me since I've been doing it at a high volume for so many years.

I was having the car read out texts, but I get so many texts that all it was ever doing was reading texts. I can glance quickly at my watch when something comes in and see who it was from and decide if I need to respond or not pretty well.

I used to text and email and stuff while driving all the time but I have really gotten away from that because its so crazy dangerous.
Interesting. Apple Watch in Canada now counts as distracted driving, if caught points, insurance goes up, and now you lose your licence for 3 days. I don't respond to emails anymore unless its in the morning between 5-7 AM which are yesterdays emails. Texts I get to them when I can.
Old 01-19-19, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Theres no way for them to know if I'm looking at an Apple Watch or a regular watch. Its just a quick glance, the same either way.

Unfortunately I cant respond to emails just once a day being in sales, and managing ongoing business and transactions. I get too many time sensitive emails. I have found that nowadays most totally urgent stuff comes over texts though.
Old 01-19-19, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Theres no way for them to know if I'm looking at an Apple Watch or a regular watch. Its just a quick glance, the same either way.

Unfortunately I cant respond to emails just once a day being in sales, and managing ongoing business and transactions. I get too many time sensitive emails. I have found that nowadays most totally urgent stuff comes over texts though.
I don't really want to get caught. The hassle of being pulled over is the problem, then the court date.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/03...t-apple-watch/

Quick Reply: Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)