Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It doesn't relay as much user data as other makes version of CarPlay.
I see what you mean. Assuming that would the same for Toyota. ?
Old 01-18-19, 06:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see what you mean. Assuming that would the same for Toyota. ?
Yes indeed
Old 01-18-19, 06:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes indeed
So, honestly. Do you believe this? Or part marketing and PR by Toyota for perhaps being late?
Old 01-18-19, 07:05 PM
Hoovey689

So, honestly. Do you believe this? Or part marketing and PR by Toyota for perhaps being late?
Lexus or rather ToMoCo was not happy with the amount of user data collected by Apple and Google. However it's sort of the pot calling the kettle since Lexus Enform collects data. It's about controlling your information. There are some concessions in adapting CarPlay and Android Auto, but automakers do have to listen to customer feedback. Ford and Toyota founded SmartDeviceLink and under Ford it's called AppLink. It's sort of a standard for application implementation in infotainment systems, in hopes of establishing an alternative app system that will be under the automakers purview. The ability to keep well known apps but in a branded environment has others jumping on board like Mazda, Suzuki, Subaru, Peugeot and Citroën have all agreed to join the coalition. Companies that make vehicle head unit systems and software, including Harman, Panasonic, and BlackBerry's QNX, also plan to join. SmartDeviceLink allows existing iOS and Android apps to extend onto car infotainment systems that the standard. Details like app settings and login information will transfer over from the phone. Automakers can choose which apps do and don't get to run on their cars. They can offer additional vehicle data to the apps, which Apple and Google won't get to see. Automakers can make deals with app developers to get a cut of any in-app sales they make, potentially opening up a major source of revenue. Collaborating on alternative shared ecosystems like SmartDeviceLink is about maintaining control over what customers see, or influencing in their favor. The lifetime value of a customer with an automaker is typically half a million dollars. The value comes from sales and services in new vehicles.
Old 01-18-19, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus or rather ToMoCo was not happy with the amount of user data collected by Apple and Google. However it's sort of the pot calling the kettle since Lexus Enform collects data. It's about controlling your information. There are some concessions in adapting CarPlay and Android Auto, but automakers do have to listen to customer feedback. Ford and Toyota founded SmartDeviceLink and under Ford it's called AppLink. It's sort of a standard for application implementation in infotainment systems, in hopes of establishing an alternative app system that will be under the automakers purview. The ability to keep well known apps but in a branded environment has others jumping on board like Mazda, Suzuki, Subaru, Peugeot and Citroën have all agreed to join the coalition. Companies that make vehicle head unit systems and software, including Harman, Panasonic, and BlackBerry's QNX, also plan to join. SmartDeviceLink allows existing iOS and Android apps to extend onto car infotainment systems that the standard. Details like app settings and login information will transfer over from the phone. Automakers can choose which apps do and don't get to run on their cars. They can offer additional vehicle data to the apps, which Apple and Google won't get to see. Automakers can make deals with app developers to get a cut of any in-app sales they make, potentially opening up a major source of revenue. Collaborating on alternative shared ecosystems like SmartDeviceLink is about maintaining control over what customers see, or influencing in their favor. The lifetime value of a customer with an automaker is typically half a million dollars. The value comes from sales and services in new vehicles.
So with this new App Link. *Does Apple car play or Android auto work?
Old 01-19-19, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Contracts can be exited. A major Corp like Toyota would have an out. Toyota is not always slow to adapt, they are when they want to.
You do realize Hoovey works for Lexus right?

I also like Apple CarPlay, my main issue with it is having to plug my phone in. On a day to day basis, I'm not going to do that which limits its functionality for me. Once it becomes more widely available wirelessly (BMW does it wireless, does anybody else?) I'll be happy to have it,
Old 01-19-19, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I also like Apple CarPlay, my main issue with it is having to plug my phone in. On a day to day basis, I'm not going to do that which limits its functionality for me. Once it becomes more widely available wirelessly (BMW does it wireless, does anybody else?) I'll be happy to have it,
Always thought he worked for Autoblog.

How does the plugging in the phone limit you? You would be driving while it was working.
Old 01-19-19, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

How does the plugging in the phone limit you? You would be driving while it was working.
Its just something that I don't automatically do. I want to just get into my car, start it up and have everything it can do available right there in my system. Its like the old days in my LS400 when I had a cell phone I had to plug into the console before I could make handsfree calls through the car. Bluetooth today is much better because my phone just stays in my pocket and the system auto-pairs to my phone once the car is running. For Apple CarPlay to be totally convenient that same wireless connectivity needs to exist also. That way my phone just stays in my pocket or if my battery is low I just throw it on the wireless charger. I don't want to have a bunch of phone wires hanging out of my console either. For instance, on the 2019 ES you have to plug the phone into a port that is beneath the cover for the cupholder. So, whenever you're using the AppleCarPlay you have to leave that cover open exposing the ugly cupholder. Stuff like that bugs me. I have a wireless charging pad in my console, and no wires hanging around the interior which is how I like it.

Wireless CarPlay is coming, BMW has it and others will too.
Old 01-19-19, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Bluetooth today is much better because my phone just stays in my pocket and the system auto-pairs to my phone once the car is running. .
Regarding bluetooth, I do not believe it is possible to make a phone call with out blue tooth on in Toyota cars. The wired connection does not work that way. I could be wrong.

That way my phone just stays in my pocket or if my battery is low I just throw it on the wireless charger.
Any use of Apple Car Play is going to really drain your battery, I think this is why most manufacturers are not going the wireless way yet as most people would need to charge it while using it anyways. Data use and location services are big battery drain killers, so a half hour drive using Google Maps while using your data is going to off-set any convenience of just leaving it in your pocket. I agree that plugging the phone in all the time is not ideal and is an inconvenience.
Old 01-19-19, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So a Lexus dealer? Or Toyota Japan? or Lexus USA?
Old 01-19-19, 10:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Contracts can be exited. A major Corp like Toyota would have an out. Toyota is not always slow to adapt, they are when they want to.
You have no idea what anyone's contract says. Believe what you want--at the end of the day, that's all it is--your belief. Not fact.
Old 01-19-19, 10:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You have no idea what anyone's contract says. Believe what you want--at the end of the day, that's all it is--your belief. Not fact.
LOL. Ok. Thanks

Car Play in the Avalon I am driving does not make for the best experience possible as there are flaws, the flaws are not in the same way as the Toyota infotainment system which are difference. In this case, the Car Play draw back would not be present if there was no option for Car Play. It is my opinion that privacy was not the sole reason for the delay in car play, it had to do with user experience which could shed a negative impression on Toyota as a brand.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 10:42 AM
Hoovey689

So a Lexus dealer? Or Toyota Japan? or Lexus USA?
Started in 2010 at the dealership level. Now contracted with Lexus USA. Toyota Motor Distributors San Francisco Region supports Toyota/Lexus in NorCal. Deals in mostly parts and training. Most Lexus executives are still in Torrance, CA though.
Old 01-19-19, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Started in 2010 at the dealership level. Now contracted with Lexus USA. Toyota Motor Distributors San Francisco Region supports Toyota/Lexus in NorCal. Deals in mostly parts and training. Most Lexus executives are still in Torrance, CA though.
Interesting, thanks.

So the 2018 LC500 vs 2019 LC500, what gen software would each be running?
Old 01-19-19, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Interesting, thanks.

So the 2018 LC500 vs 2019 LC500, what gen software would each be running?
The same. With Lexus, Gen10 capable cars built before middle of October 2018 do not have CarPlay. Toyota models are typically the first to debut a technology (like the Avalon), then it migrates over.

Quick Reply: Apple Car play and Toyota (mostly thumbs up)