Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Honda Passport SUV

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 11:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 Honda Passport SUV

Honda revives the Passport name for its new SUV

The plan is for this SUV to slot in between the CR-V and Pilot. Like the Pilot, it has a unibody frame (Honda actually says the Passport and Pilot are pretty much the same underneath) and comes with Honda's 3.5-liter V6 engine making 280 horsepower and 262 pound-feet of torque. This will be paired exclusively with Honda's nine-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive will be standard, but all-wheel drive with Honda's i-VTM4 torque vectoring is available on all trims. This system is pulled from the Pilot and Ridgeline. Honda claims this gives the Passport greater off-road ability, akin to more off-road-focused body-on-frame SUVs (we'll be the judge of that). Since it shares so much with the larger trucks it's based off of, the Passport also gets respectable towing ratings. If you opt for all-wheel drive, you're able to tow up to 5,000 pounds. The Passport rides an inch higher than the Pilot too, giving even more credence to its utilitarian slant.

What the new Passport resembles is a stubbier and sharper Pilot. There's no doubt the two share a similar design language, but the Passport looks far more off-road oriented. A floating roof design, spoiler and black strip along the tailgate might be the most distinctive design choices on Honda's latest SUV. A matte black grille and 20-inch wheels adorn all Passports as well. It all combines to make for what looks like a pretty normal SUV that doesn't take many chances in styling.

Honda claims it has more passenger space than any other vehicle in its class, and it has a pretty large underfloor storage spot, too. Everything is par for the course on the interior as far as tech goes. The center stack looks like it was ripped straight from a Ridgeline with only a few differences. An eight-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto comes standard with every trim EX-L and above. Touring and Elite models get a 590-watt 10-speaker audio system, too. If you were wondering about the presence of a volume ****, don't worry. Honda decided to stick one on the dash. Like the new Accord, the full suite of Honda Sensing driver assistance systems is standard. Also standard is a top-view camera for trailer hookups, since Honda seems to want people to use this car for adventuring purposes.

A bunch of Honda accessories are going to be released alongside the Passport, including roof boxes, roof racks, a colored graphics package and undercarriage welcome lights. Depending on how you plan to use your Passport, Honda is offering both an Adventure and Urban package. For Adventure you'll get running boards and a trailer hitch, while the Urban gets front and rear underbody spoilers, unique 20-inch wheels and special roof rails for what Honda calls an "in-town look."

Four trim levels will be available at launch, with the top being Elite. The high-zoot Passport comes equipped like a luxury car, with plenty of add-ons such as heated/cooled front seats, a wireless phone charger and a blacked-out appearance package. We don't have pricing, but the Passport is set to go on sale as a 2019 model early next year.
Source
Old 11-28-18, 11:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like it. Not a fan of the current Pilot. If I needed a 2 row crossover, I'd check this out.
Old 11-28-18, 11:46 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I had to take a double take at the title when I saw Passport ha ha. Since they are bringing back names a new S2000 would be nice they can use the Civic Type R turbo motor
Old 11-29-18, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Why dig up an old name from the 1990s?....especially since that Passport was, in fact, a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. Honda did not design and sell any SUVs of its own design until the 1997 CR-V. This is the old Passport:

Chevy's doing the same thing with the Blazer.....digging up a 25-year-old name and slapping it on what is a totally different type of SUV.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-30-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why dig up an old name from the 1990s?....especially since that Passport was, in fact, a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo. Honda did not design and sell any SUVs of its own design until the 1997 CR-V. This is the old Passport:

Chevy's doing the same thing with the Blazer.....digging up a 25-year-old name and slapping it on what is a totally different type of SUV.
I'm totally with you. I'm not opposed to bring back iconic names, but since the Passport was just a rebadge, I don't understand why they'd want to remind customers of that name.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-30-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What happened to the picture?

As to why Honda dragged out the old name... The cynical answer is that Honda still owns the rights to the name, and automakers have a habit of digging in the vaults to bring back old names, like Aspen, Zephyr. I myself am waiting for the return of Volare.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-30-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm totally with you. I'm not opposed to bring back iconic names, but since the Passport was just a rebadge, I don't understand why they'd want to remind customers of that name.
Honda, at that time, actually sold two rebadged body-on-frame Isuzu products, the Rodeo (Passport) and the Acura SLX (Isuzu Trooper). The SLX was one of those SUVs panned by Consumer Reports for a bad case of the tipsies.

In return for those two SUVs, Honda gave Isuzu permission to use the Civic sedan (rebadge) to sell as the Japanese-Home-Market Isuzu I-Mark sedan.
Old 11-29-18, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
What happened to the picture?
The image is OK on my computer...not sure about yours.

I'll post a different one...see if you get it now.

As to why Honda dragged out the old name... The cynical answer is that Honda still owns the rights to the name, and automakers have a habit of digging in the vaults to bring back old names, like Aspen, Zephyr. I myself am waiting for the return of Volare.

Well, if you really want to dig into those old names, both Aspen and Zephyr have already been used twice. The original 1940 Lincoln had a Zephyr version, and the name was briefly brought back on the upmarket (Lincoln) version of the Ford Fusion, before it was changed to MKZ. The original Dodge Aspen sedan/wagon, of course, replaced the old Dodge Dart in the mid-70s, and the Aspen name was later brought back for an upmarket (Chrysler) version of the Dodge Durango SUV.
Old 11-29-18, 08:09 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Not sure how I feel about all the articles marketing this as some kind of offroading vehicle. If they were serious they would implement something similar to a 4Runner/Wrangler formula.

Nobody in their right mind is going to wheel that. What makes this more offroad worthy than an MDX or a CRV? A torque vectoring diff is going to do jack sht when you're still riding on what's basically a minivan chassis with IFS and IRS, rubber band tires and huge wheels.
Old 11-29-18, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Not sure how I feel about all the articles marketing this as some kind of offroading vehicle. If they were serious they would implement something similar to a 4Runner/Wrangler formula.

Nobody in their right mind is going to wheel that. What makes this more offroad worthy than an MDX or a CRV? A torque vectoring diff is going to do jack sht when you're still riding on what's basically a minivan chassis with IFS and IRS, rubber band tires and huge wheels.

Also, while it is not mandatory, the best off-roaders have generally had body-on-frame design, not unibody, though a few unibody designs have also been successful.
Old 11-29-18, 08:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Also, while it is not mandatory, the best off-roaders have generally had body-on-frame design, not unibody, though a few unibody designs have also been successful.
Yup, the Cherokee XJ comes to mind!
Old 11-30-18, 02:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

99.9999% of the buying population will have no idea Honda once had a vehicle named Passport. The original one sold so poorly, it never made a name for itself nor left any sort of impression. It was also a long time ago, not like three years ago. Only a car person will know there was once a Passport, which is a tiny tiny % of Americana. Fine move by Honda, and a name that fits in well with the rest of the Honda family of SUV's.

As far as this new SUV, I'd call it a medium to weak offering. Styling is quite dated all around and nothing too interesting. All the black trim is cheap and unoriginal. Front is right off the Passport/Odyssey, so no points there. Dash is from the Pilot, which is clean and modern. Lack of gear shift lever and a place to rest one's hand is a negative.

I'm sure this will sell well. Main reason will be because it is a Honda, not because it over-achieves or stands up or out.
Old 11-30-18, 06:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Names like Passport, Aviator and Blazer are fine to use, as Fizzboy stated, enough time has passed that most people likely don't recall specifics about the old product and how competitive (or not) they might have been. Yet, there is some familiarity and awareness, and that's great to start from, rather than trying to have to establish a whole new name.

Of course, then they forgo the ability to call something "The first ever __________" Like Cadillac seems to be milking. The First Ever XT5, even though all car people knew it was essentially the new SRX.
Old 11-30-18, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
99.9999% of the buying population will have no idea Honda once had a vehicle named Passport.
I'll trim that figure a little bit......down to 99% flat LOL.
Old 11-30-18, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Honda, at that time, actually sold two rebadged body-on-frame Isuzu products, the Rodeo (Passport) and the Acura SLX (Isuzu Trooper). The SLX was one of those SUVs panned by Consumer Reports for a bad case of the tipsies.
In return for those two SUVs, Honda gave Isuzu permission to use the Civic sedan (rebadge) to sell as the Japanese-Home-Market Isuzu I-Mark sedan.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
99.9999% of the buying population will have no idea Honda once had a vehicle named Passport. The original one sold so poorly, it never made a name for itself nor left any sort of impression. It was also a long time ago, not like three years ago. Only a car person will know there was once a Passport, which is a tiny tiny % of Americana. Fine move by Honda, and a name that fits in well with the rest of the Honda family of SUV's.

Ok--since we are walking down Memory Lane, if anyone watched the "reality" show Parking Wars, there was an episode where someone was at the Philadelphia Parking Authority impound lot to pick up his Honda Passport, and the PPA could not locate it, and kept saying it wasn't there. Spoiler alert--the PPA listed it in their records as an Isuzu Rodeo.

Reruns are on FYI Network. Set your DVR....

Quick Reply: 2019 Honda Passport SUV