Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Honda Passport SUV

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What happened to the picture?
i fixed the url's...

Old 11-30-18, 01:35 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I really like what Honda did here (HRV/CRV/Passport/Pilot). We have a CRV and the jump from CRV to Pilot is a huge one.
This design gives CRV owners an upgrade option for something in between the CRV and Pilot, and a better result than either one.

Lexus does have a line up of various UX/NX/RX/RXL series. The top end RX is becoming dated. Lexus's newer larger cross over cannot come soon enough. Are we going to wait 2 or 3 more years?
I think both Subaru's Ascent and Honda's Passport offerings will continue to challenge the best Lexus has to offer and get the sale. Carplay becomes a check box they need to be checking off soon when everyone else is offering it (real reason: you get the best navigation options available Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze).
Old 11-30-18, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm totally with you. I'm not opposed to bring back iconic names, but since the Passport was just a rebadge, I don't understand why they'd want to remind customers of that name.
If the old one is over 25 years it's a totally different buyer now. The new buyers probably don't know what the original one was. Just like original LS400 buyers, sorry to say but most are probably out the door as is life, so the LS500 can be more radical. But the Passport also starting with 'P' goes along with theme Pilot theme. Just like Ford does with the letter 'E'. Escape, Explorer, Edge, Expedition, EcoSport, Excursion, Everest..
Old 11-30-18, 09:18 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it!! esp the 3.5L motor

looks VERY similar to the Subaru Forester IMO.......

Old 12-01-18, 02:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If the old one is over 25 years it's a totally different buyer now. The new buyers probably don't know what the original one was. Just like original LS400 buyers, sorry to say but most are probably out the door as is life, so the LS500 can be more radical. But the Passport also starting with 'P' goes along with theme Pilot theme. Just like Ford does with the letter 'E'. Escape, Explorer, Edge, Expedition, EcoSport, Excursion, Everest..
If no one knows "Passport", then what's the point of bringing it back? CR-V and HR-V don't start with "P". So Honda customers can think of traveling internationally with their SUV? I'd understand if the name made customers think of some rugged vehicle--like, Explorer or Expedition. But "Passport" doesn't make me think "SUV".
Old 12-01-18, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If no one knows "Passport", then what's the point of bringing it back? CR-V and HR-V don't start with "P". So Honda customers can think of traveling internationally with their SUV? I'd understand if the name made customers think of some rugged vehicle--like, Explorer or Expedition. But "Passport" doesn't make me think "SUV".
'Passport' to me sounds like a sense of freedom of movement - a car moves. They also owned the rights and trademark still so why not use it. Who cares if it's old. Feel free to contact Honda and ask their reasoning.
Old 12-01-18, 03:11 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Time to bring back the Venza Toyota. After the next gen Highlander debuts.
Old 12-01-18, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have to agree with Tex...it's a useless name. And the only reason it makes me think "SUV" is that I'm old enough to clearly remember those rebadged Isuzu Rodeos that Honda used as their Passport SUV over 20 years ago. Most people, though, would be scratching their heads.
Old 12-01-18, 05:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
'Passport' to me sounds like a sense of freedom of movement - a car moves. They also owned the rights and trademark still so why not use it. Who cares if it's old. Feel free to contact Honda and ask their reasoning.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with Tex...it's a useless name. And the only reason it makes me think "SUV" is that I'm old enough to clearly remember those rebadged Isuzu Rodeos that Honda used as their Passport SUV over 20 years ago. Most people, though, would be scratching their heads.
I have nothing against the name "Passport" itself, so I don't need to ask Honda. I'm just saying that I understand resurrecting a name of a truly mediocre 1-generation vehicle if the name really fit the vehicle.
Old 12-01-18, 05:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Better to see a shortened Pilot as the current Passport than the defunct re-badged Isuzu Rodeo of yesteryear . Still, the new Passport does not excite me but is better to my eyes than the Pilot.
Old 12-01-18, 10:37 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they had done more to differentiate this from the Pilot in terms of interior and exterior design. Good thing though they stuck with the excellent Honda V6 rather than 2.0 T from the accord
Old 12-02-18, 05:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I have nothing against the name "Passport" itself, so I don't need to ask Honda. I'm just saying that I understand resurrecting a name of a truly mediocre 1-generation vehicle if the name really fit the vehicle.

At the end of the day does it really matter what they call it? Its a Honda. Its a SUV. People will buy it. Yes it was a 1 generation vehicle, but the Pilot was a zero generation vehicle when it debuted.
Old 01-29-19, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

well there seems to be a lot more to it than i thought... an attempt by honda to go after jeep and some real rugged capability, unlike a rav4.

Old 01-29-19, 06:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Take notes Lexus, this is what the RX and RX-L should have been. Good joke tho Honda on Off-roading.
Old 01-29-19, 07:06 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Take notes Lexus, this is what the RX and RX-L should have been. Good joke tho Honda on Off-roading.
Agree. The writing is on the wall for the RX series. I saw them at a recent auto show and thought the Passport and Volvo XC30 (or 40)? upstaged them for a decent SUV that even your grandma can handle. The Murano/CX5/RAV4/XT4 felt out of the SUV loop. Just because you can make a SUV doesnt mean it will sell like hotcakes. Lexus should revise future RX sales downward. How your smartphone interfaces with the infotainment system checks off a big box to command the 40-60k price range.

If one were to take a hard look, the Passport kind of looks like a smaller GX series in a fun to drive package. Lexus does not need to emulate a G-Wagon character nor it's boxiness. This also spells an omen of concern for GX and RX series.

Quick Reply: 2019 Honda Passport SUV