Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Honda Passport SUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think the demographic that buys the rx is older and doesn’t care (yet) much about connected infotainment and tech features. They like the smooth ride, the ‘enough’ room, the stellar reliability, and now, ooh, some ‘aggressive’ (hideous, imo) looks so they can feel younger.
Old 01-29-19, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the demographic that buys the rx is older and doesn’t care (yet) much about connected infotainment and tech features.

Agreed....that's because they are old and wise enough to know that life can be lived without those things.

They like the smooth ride, the ‘enough’ room, the stellar reliability, and now, ooh, some ‘aggressive’ (hideous, imo) looks so they can feel younger.

Again, agreed.....but one does not have to be old to appreciate a smooth ride and/or good reliability. (I wish we had had really reliable vehicles in the late 60s when I was a teen, learning to drive....we didn't). And styling, of course, is subjective.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 10:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Agree. The writing is on the wall for the RX series. I saw them at a recent auto show and thought the Passport and Volvo XC30 (or 40)? upstaged them for a decent SUV that even your grandma can handle. The Murano/CX5/RAV4/XT4 felt out of the SUV loop. Just because you can make a SUV doesnt mean it will sell like hotcakes. Lexus should revise future RX sales downward. How your smartphone interfaces with the infotainment system checks off a big box to command the 40-60k price range.

If one were to take a hard look, the Passport kind of looks like a smaller GX series in a fun to drive package. Lexus does not need to emulate a G-Wagon character nor it's boxiness. This also spells an omen of concern for GX and RX series.
While I agree with you on some things, I thing you kind of go into a bleak future for the RX line.

I`m primarily impressed with how Honda rolled out a decent three row SUV and a decent 2 row SUV from the same platform, while Lexus whose basic vehicle share a frame with the big highlander, basically sacrificed the frame to design two separate two row crossovers (RXL third row is a joke).

I think if you watch a video on the RX-L, most people are buying it since it has more useable rear space behind the second row...smh

Still gonna move units but really
Old 01-31-19, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the demographic that buys the rx is older and doesn’t care (yet) much about connected infotainment and tech features. They like the smooth ride, the ‘enough’ room, the stellar reliability, and now, ooh, some ‘aggressive’ (hideous, imo) looks so they can feel younger.
But--if you offer more connected features, you don't lose the customer that doesn't care; they still like the car. You potentially gain the customers that must have it.

Look around you on a daily basis, and tell me how many people are driving around holding their phones in their hands when their car has Bluetooth. They will buy a car with tons of tech features---and just never use them.
Old 01-31-19, 07:27 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But--if you offer more connected features, you don't lose the customer that doesn't care; they still like the car. You potentially gain the customers that must have it.

Look around you on a daily basis, and tell me how many people are driving around holding their phones in their hands when their car has Bluetooth. They will buy a car with tons of tech features---and just never use them.
We are in the age of 'smart' car buying. Thanks to the impact of the smart phone during the 2010 decade. The tiny rear camera monitor has evolved to 8-12 inch hi-res digital screen, which can support navigation, touch input and a whole lot more. Yeah, it's a lot of tech hubris and you know what? It's on the buyers to get what they want -- especially when paying anything over 30k.

At a recent auto show, I saw the CX-5 after seeing the Passport. It was a huge step down in connected features yet a more basic experience. Even the XT4 tries to stream line itself a bit from the XTS offering (which was overkill).

The connected experience the buyer seeks will navigate them to a small handful of cars that offer it. Testing cars to buy have now become more complex. It's much more than taking it for a drive to see how it drives. You have to figure out how the interfaces work, what kind of feedback you're getting from advanced safety features, and navigate the navigation/touchscreen. A simple 5-10 minute drive becomes a 30-60 minute process now. It can get overwhelming. Making cars look simple and you look smart is hard work. Hence, the age of smart car buying. Better make a smart call here -- be informed or be an idiot for not knowing what you're getting yourself into.

side note: true story -- BMW did cause some owner confusion about their advanced safety options -- several owners became frustrated spending 50-60k in the build, the car arrives and it lacked a certain feature they were seeking. You would think that 'Active Driving Assistant' is all inclusive but it is not. The Adaptive Cruse / Stop Go feature is another option most overlook to max safety features out. This becomes a failure on the sales rep to explain the features and the buyer not checking off all the boxes). So imagine the buyer's disappointment on a 50-60k+ car that it lacks a $900 enhancement option. The build to order capability is nice, yet it is not perfect - the end result is a glut of cars in various car configurations. Having said all of this, I am impressed with how Volvo is using clear plain english what features are on the car and what's in the options they are purchasing in the window sticker. Honda does go about all of this in a very simple route... you have certain trim levels and you know exactly what you're getting in it. This maximizes factory throughput for it's core features.

Old 01-31-19, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good point, but, IMO, all the more reason to make these things an option, not standard. That way, buyers who don't need these things, or don't use them, won't be stuck paying for them.
Old 01-31-19, 01:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not necessarily, because the interfaces can change when you have connected features, to the point where just trying to ‘get in and drive’ is no longer obvious unless one has taken the time to learn some of the features.

But a lot of safety features for example, are passive, and so someone doesn’t have to ‘use’ them but they might save their lives!

and then there’s manufacturing complexity. It seems to me tesla is doing it right here... build the features into the cars, and enable them via software (and a fee or subscription).
Old 01-31-19, 02:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

its ironic for me to say this, but I`d say follow Lexus/Toyo or Honda/Acura. Make it standard and move on. Safety should not really be an option, leather dash yes. bigger wheels and tires, yes. Reversing camera with cross traffic active detection yes. It will end up being worth to drivers who have terrible situational awareness and to those who are in their way lol
Old 02-18-19, 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

kbb review...

this thing is gonna sell... probably targeting subaru buyers.

and note, toyota, it has apple carplay and android auto.

Old 02-18-19, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

kbb review...
OK, but not the most polished review I have ever seen.

While I (admittedly) have not seen or driven the Passport myself, based on this video and on write-ups I have seen, I don't think you can directly aim the Passport at Subarus. Subies, in general, though technically crossovers, are more car-like than the Passport, not designed for the same kind of off-roading that this lady was doing in the video, and, in general, have a reputation for good road manners. When I had my Outback, except for the slightly higher ground-stance for entry/exit, and the added weight/drag from the AWD system affecting acceleration and gas mileage it was difficult to tell its general ride/handling from a good mid-sized sedan.
Old 02-19-19, 03:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

kbb review...

Too much horsepower for Subaru buyers.
Old 02-19-19, 09:00 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

and note, toyota, it has apple carplay and android auto.

Ding ding.. I see what you did there

Every automaker will have a 'carplay/android' capability date on their cars. It's the one 'value added' benefit to make your car feel relevant with your smartphone. You get a bigger 'screen' than a smartphone for navigation benefits. Hands free calling and more. Sirus XM radio will eventually die out to a streaming/app service. Call it the mass simplification of the 'radio' via touchscreen interface (eg AM/FM/XM/(smartphone services, streaming apps).

Back on topic -- with relevant Lexus commentary. The passport is sure one impressive car as a step up from the CRV. Want a good ol' V6? You got it and dont need to 'upscale' to the Pilot sized SUV.
Honda has always been keen on being relevant with the features that will attract the young buyers and long term car owners/loyalty. Toyota covets the long term segment and risks losing serious face if they cannot get a slam dunk with basic carplay/Android Auto offerings. There's too much home grown cookery going on. Lexus cars at greatest risk of being outdated tech dinosaurs are RX, GX & GS. The Passport shows that Honda gets it, and further refines this tech experience in the latest styled Acura RDX lineup.

Old 02-19-19, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The Passport shows that Honda gets it, and further refines this tech experience in the latest styled Acura RDX lineup.

I’m seeing BUNCHES of the new rdx around here. Looking very sharp.
Old 02-19-19, 08:08 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It looks nice but no shifter to rest my hand on is a deal breaker. I had a ML350 with no shift **** and hated that. I also don’t like non touch screens if it comes with the track pad or ****.
Old 02-20-19, 06:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Bring back the Venza Toyota! If this thing sells.

Quick Reply: 2019 Honda Passport SUV