Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll say one thing, Jill. You and I may sometimes disagree, as with Trump/tariffs and on a couple of political and automotive issues. But, in general, I have been impressed with many of your posts, especially in the last year or so, and, IMO, you are one of those on Car Chat who has a pretty good understanding of what is going in the auto industry today, why, and what is likely to happen. You seem to have two good eyes and two good ears......keep using them.
Old 02-03-19, 09:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Depends on the nature of the parts. For the company referenced in the article, there's no real reason they couldn't get a contract for some as-yet-unnamed electric car. Electric cars still need bumpers just like gas powered and hybrid ones do.

For suppliers of things like valves, manifolds, and PCMs you could be absolutely right.
For sure, the current vendors could easily get a contract. My guess, right now, GM is not sure where they are going to put some upcoming product. Some pressure on GM by UAW supporting Unifor might be used to swing them one way or another.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll say one thing, Jill. You and I may sometimes disagree, as with Trump/tariffs and on a couple of political and automotive issues. But, in general, I have been impressed with many of your posts, especially in the last year or so, and, IMO, you are one of those on Car Chat who has a pretty good understanding of what is going in the auto industry today, why, and what is likely to happen. You seem to have two good eyes and two good ears......keep using them.
Thanks. That’s very nice of you to say that. ❤️
Old 02-03-19, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some pressure on GM by UAW supporting Unifor might be used to swing them one way or another.
Unfortunately, the UAW leadership itself has not been squeaky-clean, either....and their public-image could be better. They are currently the subject of a Federal probe....along with a related probe into FCA.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...up/1496364002/
Old 02-03-19, 09:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-03-19 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 09:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
GM asks Unifor not to run their Super Bowl Ad
Run the ad....if the shoe fits, wear it. I have little sympathy for GM.
Old 02-03-19, 10:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Except that what hurts GM also hurts Unifor and UAW workers.
Old 02-04-19, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that what hurts GM also hurts Unifor and UAW workers.

I don't see where it makes a difference. They're probably going to be hurt anyway.
Old 02-04-19, 07:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't see where it makes a difference. They're probably going to be hurt anyway.
Oversimplifying, the world is a very competitive place--SATs that were borderline Ivy League when I was in 11th grade, are average for Florida State today. A kid should have straight A's to go to a state college or university. Not the case before.

Same with the job market. Rather than fight it, I think everybody should have an alternative in their back pocket. In my grandfather's days, at age 57 or so, a partner was pushed out. Today?

Again, if I'm an autoworker, I have a certain set of skills. Me, I would prepare at age 40 and entertain the possibility that I could be let go, and take my skills and expand them. Remember money managers in 2009 who began delivering pizza? That's extreme, but also a willingness to work. Sometimes I get the feeling that unions are not about working, but about well it's like a class action. Very few get anything out of it, but they get a lot. The rest kind of go along. So if plants are closing, that's reality--what's next for me the worker? I don't think they should rely on TV commercials to solve their problems. As a matter of fact that's a waste of money.
Old 02-04-19, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Oversimplifying, the world is a very competitive place--SATs that were borderline Ivy League when I was in 11th grade, are average for Florida State today. A kid should have straight A's to go to a state college or university. Not the case before.

Same with the job market. Rather than fight it, I think everybody should have an alternative in their back pocket. In my grandfather's days, at age 57 or so, a partner was pushed out. Today?

Again, if I'm an autoworker, I have a certain set of skills. Me, I would prepare at age 40 and entertain the possibility that I could be let go, and take my skills and expand them. Remember money managers in 2009 who began delivering pizza? That's extreme, but also a willingness to work. Sometimes I get the feeling that unions are not about working, but about well it's like a class action. Very few get anything out of it, but they get a lot. The rest kind of go along. So if plants are closing, that's reality--what's next for me the worker? I don't think they should rely on TV commercials to solve their problems. As a matter of fact that's a waste of money.
I agree with you to an extent (and you do seem to have a unique style of posting). But, at the same time, when workers give a company years (and often decades of service), often risking harm in the plants from accidents or repetitive-motion injuries to their joints and muscles (which are common in assembly-line work), I think the company owes them a little more than just being numbers on a pink-slip.
Old 02-04-19, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That just doesn't make any sense. GM's success is GM's workers' success. If GM looses volume they will just have to close more plants and lay off more workers. GM's employees advocating for a boycott of their own company makes no sense.
Old 02-04-19, 11:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Screw the unions and union workers. They are just a bunch of entitled ####s that want everything handed to them and not willing to hustle.
Old 02-04-19, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Screw the unions and union workers. They are just a bunch of entitled ####s that want everything handed to them and not willing to hustle.

Before you throw stones at them, have you ever worked in an auto plant? Despite modern conveniences like cafeterias, air-conditioning, dust-control, etc.....it is still no picnic. The employees (and sometimes managers as well) risk harm or accident every day....that is some seriously powerful machinery in there that can injure or kill. In addition, after months and years of doing essentially the same thing, with the same parts, in the same manner, 8 hours or more a day, one risks repetitive-motion injuries, which can injure or cripple muscles, joints, ligaments, etc..... It's similar to the carpel-tunnel-syndrome from a computer mouse, but on a larger scale.
Old 02-04-19, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Before you throw stones at them, have you ever worked in an auto plant? Despite modern conveniences like cafeterias, air-conditioning, dust-control, etc.....it is still no picnic. The employees (and sometimes managers as well) risk harm or accident every day....that is some seriously powerful machinery in there that can injure or kill. In addition, after months and years of doing essentially the same thing, with the same parts, in the same manner, 8 hours or more a day, one risks repetitive-motion injuries, which can injure or cripple muscles, joints, ligaments, etc..... It's similar to the carpel-tunnel-syndrome from a computer mouse, but on a larger scale.
The same is true of every other factory or physical worker, far moreso in other fields actually.
Old 02-04-19, 06:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I believe every single manufacturer builds in the US or Canada. So the Union making your job safer makes little sense as all the other companies can do it. The issue at stake, is that GM recently allocated production of the Blazer in Mexico at they are paying these workers $2 per hour, while at the same time later, GM lays off American blue collar workers all the while posting a big profit in the US.
Old 02-04-19, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The same is true of every other factory or physical worker, far moreso in other fields actually.
Agreed....steel mills and underground coal mines were some of the worst for worker-safety, but, since they involved different industries, I didn't bring them up in this thread. But, no, those industries, and others, like the UAW, were not unionized for nothing.....conditions demanded it.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories