Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 04:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Heard today that the new (Oshawa Ontario) GM plant is closing. This is is horrific news.

(Combined later post...)

Here is the official press release from Detroit Free press.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...re/2112539002/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-26-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks. Plenty of links, though, are coming up as I speak.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/gm-closing-all-operations-in-oshawa-ont-sources-1.4191935

https://www.cp24.com/news/oshawa-gm-plant-to-close-affecting-thousands-of-jobs-1.4191957

Here is a list of the vehicles (from Wiki) that are currently currently made there: Some of those vehicles, of course, are also built in other plants. The Impala, for example, is also built at Detroit/Hamtramck...same plant where my Lacrosse was built. The XTS is also built in China, but, unless GM shifts production of it somewhere else, that could (?) mean the end of it in the U.S. market, as Chinese-built models will probably be subject to the Trump tariffs, and/or may not be equipped with the necessary U.S. safety/emissons gear.

I don't see the Silverado/Sierra going anywhere, though....simply too much demand for them in the U.S. GM wouldn't dare quit producing them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 04:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. Appreciate you posting the link.
Old 11-25-18, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The big Silverado/Sierra trucks have only been built there for one model year. I'm not necessarily going to second-guess Mary Barra (who, no doubt, approved the closing)....but to shut down a plant making very high-demand trucks after only one year doesn't take sense to me. Maybe those full-size pickups just don't sell in Canada like they do in the U.S., where Silverados and F-150s sell like apple pie.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-18 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 08:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

CNN's brief article on it mentioned they're cutting 15% of salaried employees including 1/4 of execs (across the 3 plants impacted in N America)
Old 11-26-18, 08:51 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like the end for CT6, LaCrosse, and Impala by the end of 2019! I wonder what this means for the turbo V8 that GM was touting about 6 months ago. One of the releases said that sedan sales had fallen from 50% of US sales in 2012 to 30% today - that's a pretty steep dive.
Old 11-26-18, 08:53 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The big Silverado/Sierra trucks have only been built there for one model year. I'm not necessarily going to second-guess Mary Barra (who, no doubt, approved the closing)....but to shut down a plant making very high-demand trucks after only one year doesn't take sense to me. Maybe those full-size pickups just don't sell in Canada like they do in the U.S., where Silverados and F-150s sell like apple pie.
One of the articles said that they were only building last generation while US production of the new ones ramped up and the closing would not impact production.
Old 11-26-18, 10:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It looks like the end for CT6, LaCrosse, and Impala by the end of 2019! I wonder what this means for the turbo V8 that GM was touting about 6 months ago. One of the releases said that sedan sales had fallen from 50% of US sales in 2012 to 30% today - that's a pretty steep dive.
As sad as it is. Pretty brilliant move by GM to eliminate legacy employees and the high union salaries with this move. 15,000 employees in North Americanare getting the axe. All said and done, it will probably cost over 100K jobs in all the supply chain and secondary feeder stuff. And Trumps tariffs added to the money costs.
Old 11-26-18, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As sad as it is. Pretty brilliant move by GM to eliminate legacy employees and the high union salaries with this move. 15,000 employees in North American are getting the axe. All said and done, it will probably cost over 100K jobs in all the supply chain and secondary feeder stuff. And Trumps tariffs added to the money costs.
yup, i give mary barra a LOT of credit for making the moves ...
Old 11-26-18, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
First, that still means that almost one third of your sales are coming from sedans......hardly a niche market. Second, all three of those vehicles are currently built at the Hamtramck plant. They will still remain in production unless Hamtramck is re-tooled or shuts down. Third, if GM does drop those sedans in the U.S. market, I may (?) be done with GM. Full-size, comfortable FWD or AWD sedans are my forte...I don't want or need an SUV, and will not be forced into one just because it is fashionable. Ford will probably be next in line for my money with the Lincoln MKZ (or Continental, if it isn't dropped). Then, either Kia with the Cadenza or Genesis with the G80 AWD. The Avalon or ES350 would have been in consideration, but I don't like what Toyota and Lexus have done to them in the last few generations......particularly with the latest new ES350.
Old 11-26-18, 12:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Chevrolet representative Kevin Kelly confirmed to C/D that Cruze and Volt production will end in March 2019 and Impala production will end in the fourth quarter of 2019. GM representative Jim Cain said that Buick LaCrosse production will also end in March, Cadillac XTS production will end in the fourth quarter of 2019, and Cadillac CT6 production will end in mid-2019, although he also added that this announcement will not affect the recently revealed CT6-V. GM will do a short production run of CT6-V models for the U.S. market before the Hamtramck plant shuts down, Cain told C/D.
The plants that are closing include facilities in Lordstown, Ohio, which builds the Cruze; Detroit-Hamtramck, Michigan, which builds the Volt, the Impala, and the Cadillac CT6 and Buick LaCrosse sedans; and Oshawa, Ontario, which builds the Impala and the Cadillac XTS along with serving as a final assembly location for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. These plants currently employ a total of approximately 5600 workers. GM says these plants will be "unallocated" in 2019, meaning no future products will be assigned there.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/gm...roduction-cars
Old 11-26-18, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM representative Jim Cain said that Buick LaCrosse production will also end in March,
So long, GM. You just lost another potential customer. My bank account was ready for another new Lacrosse in a couple of years. Now Lincoln, Genesis, or Kia will get my buisness. You make dumb moves.....you lose your customers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So long, GM. You just lost another potential customer. My bank account was ready for another new Lacrosse in a couple of years. Now Lincoln, Genesis, or Kia will get my buisness. You make dumb moves.....you lose your customers.
it's not a dumb move if they simply don't sell enough to support all the engineering, marketing, sales, service, parts management, etc. and it's not like they're getting entirely out of the sedan business.

also for all makes, with the move to autonomous vehicles and electrics, something has to give on the r&d budget side and it's going to be the slow selling or otherwise unprofitable stuff...

Old 11-26-18, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not a dumb move if they simply don't sell enough to support all the engineering, marketing, sales, service, parts management, etc. and it's not like they're getting entirely out of the sedan business.
No other GM sedan, IMO (and I've driven them all, including the CT6) can compete with the Lacrosse in general driving comfort. It is their halo car in the cush-tush business. Ford is going to be the major winner here, with the Lincoln MKZ and Continental, provided that those aren't dropped. I am deadly serious when I said that I am not going to be forced into an SUV against my will. Chrysler might pick up some defectors to the 300, but the 300 generally rides too stiff, requires the AWD version for decent traction, and is clearly more sport-oriented than the others, though not as much as the Charger. I'm also not sold on Chrysler reliability.
Old 11-26-18, 01:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

lacrosse sales have plummeted...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick...sales-numbers/

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories