Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

People care today where vehicles are built? Nobody knows where their vehicles were built lol

As to your comment about the invitation to come and discuss. You keep on projecting this idea that the government has some control over GM. they don’t.
Old 01-30-19, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People care today where vehicles are built? Nobody knows where their vehicles were built lol
I definitely think some people do care. I do. I like to be aware of where any of my purchases in life come from. Not saying it would make a difference in my purchase decision.
Old 01-30-19, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I definitely think some people do care. I do.

I like to be aware of where any of my purchases in life come from.

Right on.

Not saying it would make a difference in my purchase decision.
In the past, it didn't make very much difference with me, either. But times change. There is much more reason to be concerned today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I definitely think some people do care. I do. I like to be aware of where any of my purchases in life come from. Not saying it would make a difference in my purchase decision.
does it concern you then that your iphone is made at a city sized sweat shop in china?
Old 01-30-19, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does it concern you then that your iphone is made at a city sized sweat shop in china?

These days, what isn't?
Old 01-30-19, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes it does/would
Old 01-30-19, 05:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right on.

In the past, it didn't make very much difference with me, either. But times change. There is much more reason to be concerned today.
You had changed your original post. Manufacturing is adtualy better in the US than it was in the past. Add in the fact that car manufacturing is higher as well. Today, manufacturing is more efficient. Where the US/Canada continues to lead and always has lead is the manufacturing of advanced items and highly complicated products.
Old 01-30-19, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You had changed your original post.
Yes, I edited it. It was probably a little more detailed than it needed to be.

Manufacturing is actually better in the US than it was in the past. Add in the fact that car manufacturing is higher as well. Today, manufacturing is more efficient. Where the US/Canada continues to lead and always has lead is the manufacturing of advanced items and highly complicated products.
The only (current) things that North America really leads the world in is the manufacture of transport/military aircraft and of agriculture, although the large Ukranian agricultural breadbasket is not far behind the American Midwest in that regard...one reason why Putin wants it so much.
Old 01-30-19, 06:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I edited it. It was probably a little more detailed than it needed to be.

The only (current) things that North America really leads the world in is the manufacture of transport/military aircraft and of agriculture, although the large Ukranian agricultural breadbasket is not far behind the American Midwest in that regard...one reason why Putin wants it so much.

This is not true. The United States and Canada lead in many advanced manufacturing items

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-30-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This is not true.
What's not true? The American economy, even today, is known for two things....aircraft and agriculture. True, Airbus has recently been a competitor, but Boeing and Lockheed-Martin have been world leaders for decades.
Old 01-30-19, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What's not true? The American economy, .
We were not talking about the American econ, we were talking about America/Canada manufacturing and where thewe two countries lead. Think advanced manufacturing. The United States and Canada lead the world.
Old 01-30-19, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We were not talking about the American econ, we were talking about America/Canada manufacturing and where thewe two countries lead. Think advanced manufacturing. The United States and Canada lead the world.
........and just what are large jet aircraft, if not advanced manufacturing?

Anyhow, don't want to get too far off-topic....which, of course, is the auto industry, not aircraft or agriculture.
Old 01-30-19, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

For sure, some people care but I don't think theres any way to say "people care more nowadays than they used to". I see zero evidence of that, if anything its the exact opposite. We have example after example of companies moving production overseas and no sign that it impacts sales of those items produced at all.

If it wouldn't make a difference in your purchase decision BTW you don't actually care. For instance, my Dad drove American cars for decades because he didn't want to buy a foreign made car. Thats an example of actually caring.
Old 01-31-19, 12:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For sure, some people care but I don't think theres any way to say "people care more nowadays than they used to". I see zero evidence of that, if anything its the exact opposite. We have example after example of companies moving production overseas and no sign that it impacts sales of those items produced at all.
I would agree there is very little evidence that more people care today than they did in the past.

If it wouldn't make a difference in your purchase decision BTW you don't actually care.
I disagree with you, I do care and where something is made does have an influence, however not every circumstance is the same as one another, and you cannot make the domestic choice or non domestic choice if that is what you want to do each and every time. We have choices of where the car you purchase is made, we don't have much of a choice of where our cell phones/electronics are made etc. I would be reluctant to pay more for a cell phone because it was made in the United States vs if was made in China. I would also be reluctant to pay more for a Chinese car unless it was from a Chinese manufacturer which is currently not available. Does not mean I do not care.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-31-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 01:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Yes it does/would
if it does/would ‘concern’ you that your iphone was made in a giant chinese sweatshop, but won’t influence your buying decision, then it really doesn’t matter, does it?

The only (current) things that North America really leads the world in is the manufacture of transport/military aircraft and of agriculture,...
this is so wrong it has to be challenged. First of all, the thread topic, cars, are produced in massive numbers in the u.s., even by manufacturers not headquartered here. I wouldn’t be surprised for example if bmw makes the majority of all the vehicles it makes worldwide, in the u.s. bmw is certainly world class. Tesla is the world’s leading ev producer, and they’re made in california. There’s medical devices and equipment, world leading. Putting aside large hard goods though, the u.s. leads he world in the design, development and implementation of software, websites, movies, apps, etc. that is a vast industry worth more than the entire auto industry by far. There’s so many other things... vast world class wine industry, and foods...

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories