Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dunno. I think GM is winning the Oshawa argument.
Well, that was my point. GM can "win" on paper, with a board ruling supporting it.....but it means little, if anything, in real life. If everybody at the plant calls in sick at once, legally, that is not a strike, and auto-assembly-line work is of a complex enough nature that GM can't simply fire all of the sick-ins and replace them with new employees.....you can't train people like that overnight. UNIFOR's got a potential ace up their sleeve, if they are only smart enough to use it.
Old 02-26-19, 04:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that was my point. GM can "win" on paper, with a board ruling supporting it.....but it means little, if anything, in real life. If everybody at the plant calls in sick at once, legally, that is not a strike, and auto-assembly-line work is of a complex enough nature that GM can't simply fire all of the sick-ins and replace them with new employees.....you can't train people like that overnight. UNIFOR's got a potential ace up their sleeve, if they are only smart enough to use it.
I don’t think that will make a difference. I think GM will just stop producing the cars at the location and take the retail loss. In Ingersol, Unifor was on strike, GM was about to close the plant for good and warned suppliers to ship to Mexico before Unifor gave up. So it’s a tough call. As I mentioned earlier, GM only has to give one years notice to close Oshawa. So they could just wait it out.
Old 02-26-19, 05:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

In the end, it won't matter a lick. You keep bringing up Silverado production, as if the workers can "hit GM where it hurts". However, GM is currently producing the Silverado at four plants in three countries. Oshawa in particular is producing the OLD model (K2), which is being sunsetted. There are two other plants also producing this same model in Michigan and Mexico, which can presumably keep up with the waning demand as the new (T1) model has now hit the market in force. That new model is made in Indiana and Mexico. Demand is increasing for one variant and decreasing for the other. Care to guess which is which?
Old 02-26-19, 05:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
In the end, it won't matter a lick. You keep bringing up Silverado production, as if the workers can "hit GM where it hurts". However, GM is currently producing the Silverado at four plants in three countries. Oshawa in particular is producing the OLD model (K2), which is being sunsetted. There are two other plants also producing this same model in Michigan and Mexico, which can presumably keep up with the waning demand as the new (T1) model has now hit the market in force. That new model is made in Indiana and Mexico. Demand is increasing for one variant and decreasing for the other. Care to guess which is which?
You are correct. We are getting GM trucks in the Ontario area from the Mexico plant. It won't make a difference if the plant is not staffed. The Impala is also made in the Detroit location.
Old 02-26-19, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

No offense, but you're (apparently) assuming that UNIFOR is a bunch of morons. They would not have wasted their time and efforts calling a strike if it would not have made a difference. Jerry Dias has a job to do...to look out for the interest of his workers, and to resist company actions when it threatens those interests. If it means a strike, so be it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 08:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

FCA just announced a $4.5 billion worth of investments to produce the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer 3 row SUV that has electric variants and upgrade other plants

https://jalopnik.com/fca-will-spend-...s-l-1832903198
Old 02-26-19, 09:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
FCA just announced a $4.5 billion worth of investments to produce the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer 3 row SUV that has electric variants and upgrade other plants

https://jalopnik.com/fca-will-spend-...s-l-1832903198
Thanks for posting. That is a pretty impressive investment.
Old 02-27-19, 06:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

No offense, but you're (apparently) assuming that UNIFOR is a bunch of morons. They would not have wasted their time and efforts calling a strike if it would not have made a difference. Jerry Dias has a job to do...to look out for the interest of his workers, and to resist company actions when it threatens those interests. If it means a strike, so be it.
I don't think they're stupid, they're using the limited options they have available to them. Doing nothing would not sit well with their constituents/members, and presumably UNIFOR would like to continue to exist even after the Oshawa plant does not.

That doesn't mean they'll be effective. You keep acting as though they have more leverage than they do, as if these actions have a massive effect on GM's profitability. This plant produces vehicles that have already been or are in the process of being phased out. That includes the pickup trucks. The new generation Silverado and Sierra--which are NOT built at this plant--are in full production, and demand for the old ones that this plant DOES produce is plummeting by the day (likely just filling out existing fleet orders at this point). Additionally, that old model is still being produced at two OTHER plants. It is almost certain that those two plants, in Flint, MI and Guanajuato, Mexico, can absorb the meagre 5,000 units/month that the Oshawa plant was producing last year, if that volume is even still necessary.
Old 02-27-19, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

no offense, but this dias character does appear to be a moron.

he's also making a lot of noise but has no cards to play. the plant will close, he will retire rich, and life will go on, even though the economic impact will be real and painful, to the people he 'mis'represented for years...
Old 02-27-19, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

he's also making a lot of noise but has no cards to play. the plant will close, he will retire rich, and life will go on, even though the economic impact will be real and painful, to the people he 'mis'represented for years...
Dias collects $350K from what I have seen in the comments. He has to say something I guess, what should he do? . The only real card he can play is he can get sales to be lowered to some point and have the details at retail start to ***** and moan.
Old 02-27-19, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that he won't be sleeping on the grates when he retires, but, IMO, at least, he will have earned it. Unlike some corrupt Union leaders (some of whom even have ties to organized crime and the mob), Dias appears to take his job seriously and have a genuine concern for the workers he represents.
Old 02-27-19, 03:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Dias appears to take his job seriously and have a genuine concern for the workers he represents.
it's all show, so he can tell his union comrades 'hey, i tried, and justified my big union salary and pension' when in fact, perhaps he should have focused on WHY GM is closing the plant, and worked more constructively over previous years, to make the plant more valuable.

unions like status quo... management likes and needs forward movement, hence the tension.
Old 02-27-19, 03:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it's all show, so he can tell his union comrades 'hey, i tried, and justified my big union salary and pension' when in fact, perhaps he should have focused on WHY GM is closing the plant, and worked more constructively over previous years, to make the plant more valuable.

unions like status quo... management likes and needs forward movement, hence the tension.
So how does Dias handle it if it were different? Does he just say, OK we will accept the closure. There is a new contract coming, so that has to be kept in mind.
Old 02-27-19, 04:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am not sure why someone would be opposed to an incentive. These companies are going to go elsewhere if someone offers one.
I don't mean the recipients. But there are plenty of incentives that are given to companies that are never made up in the tax revenue that the government gets back in "winning" the site. You should go back and read all the articles when Amazon was seeking bidders for its HQ2.
Old 02-27-19, 05:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dias only makes $350K? To lead a union that spans multiple industries and not just the auto sector? Less than a dollar per represented worker? And he hasn't been run out of office by the peasants apparently? Shocking.

No mention of the outsourcing, golden parachute-bad decision-making executives and their private jets who drove GM into one bankruptcy, made crappy products for decades? Not so shocking on this particular forum and its ideology.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories