Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
An embargo means that you cannot reveal certain information about a specific product until an agreed upon day and date. This is all done intentionally because so many factors are involved with a new product launch. These early reviews and press gatherings are all invite only and all paid for by the manufacturer. Some will say they do not agree with embargo's, but they forget that a manufacturer has gone through so much to launch a vehicle (or product), that it is only fair for every party (press, customer or manufacturer) that it is done a specific way.
Yes, but embargos and product-delays can get out of hand. A perfect example was the Lincoln Continental....you, me, and Steve were writing it up while the auto press was still mum, and not even first-drives were being released. Then, when it was finally was released, and we started to see some press-reviews (though Steve and I got to test-drive some early samples), nobody bought it. I can still count the number I've actually seen on the road on one hand...over a year and a half later.
Old 11-04-18, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
An embargo means that you cannot reveal certain information about a specific product until an agreed upon day and date. This is all done intentionally because so many factors are involved with a new product launch. These early reviews and press gatherings are all invite only and all paid for by the manufacturer. Some will say they do not agree with embargo's, but they forget that a manufacturer has gone through so much to launch a vehicle (or product), that it is only fair for every party (press, customer or manufacturer) that it is done a specific way.
I have no problem with embargoes either. The manufacturer has a lot at stake with a new model and they have to handle it as they see fit.
Old 11-04-18, 10:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have no problem with embargoes either. The manufacturer has a lot at stake with a new model and they have to handle it as they see fit.
Agreed. That goes for any industry. What a lot of people are unaware of is that some product launches ban the press.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, but embargos and product-delays can get out of hand. A perfect example was the Lincoln Continental....you, me, and Steve were writing it up while the auto press was still mum, and not even first-drives were being released. Then, when it was finally was released, and we started to see some press-reviews (though Steve and I got to test-drive some early samples), nobody bought it.
That is just one strategy to release a product. Why it is was done that way I am not sure of, the press launch could of changed at the very last minute, they could of scraped all previous marketing and went in a different direction. Famed photographer Annie Leibovitz completed the initial photo images for the Continental, perhaps they wanted those images out before reviews and manufacturer information etc etc. Back in 07, National Geographic photographer Randy Olsen completed all 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser early press images, when employing a famed photographer such as Leibovitz or Randy Olsen, you might want those images presented before you let the press give their impressions.

Annie Leibovitz Lincoln launch

Randy Olson Toyota Launch

The irony of the Randy Olson photos, is that half of the photos of the Toyota Land Cruiser were shot in Canada, a place that at the time and currently does not offer the actual Land Cruiser (in the images) for sale.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-04-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 10:14 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Production starts in late November goes on sale in December 2018 for the Gas model. Hybrid RAV4 will go on sale in spring 2019.
Old 11-04-18, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by highrev6
Production starts in late November goes on sale in December 2018 for the Gas model. Hybrid RAV4 will go on sale in spring 2019.
Might (?) do then, for my Annual Holiday Review......although I usually save that for a more expensive, upscale vehicle.
Old 11-04-18, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no doubt that new Rav4 is leaps and bounds over uninspiring old model... but there is also no way it is close to interior quality of UX.

I would seriously consider new Rav4 Hybrid, where previously there was no chance I would get that box on wheels Rav4.4.

Also, in many things it is going to be much better bang for the buck than NX, even though there will be gulf in engine power... but at the same time it will only happen in 2019, and only with top end Rav4 models that will cost $35k, and then in late 2020, new NX will make us wonder why Rav4 exists.
The shifter in the UX looks cheaper than that of this Rav4. Granted these are just pictures. I think both will be on par in terms of interior quality, partly because the UX is one class lower, but the Lexus badge means it'll have some nice surfaces. Though I'm not holding my breath on the window switch bezel area and lower parts of the dash and doors. The new Rav4 has me excited for what's in store for the NX. Both are important vehicles for ToMoCo.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It looks designed specifically to slow Subaru's continued sales rise.

it looks 'rugged' and 'tough' but meaningless unless you consider the costco parking lot a tough environment.
I also thought it had a Subaru Forester vibe.

Yup, cause those moms in their Suburbans are cutthroat when it comes parking spots at Costco. At least the Rav4 will probably maneuver better
Old 11-04-18, 04:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The shifter in the UX looks cheaper than that of this Rav4. Granted these are just pictures. I think both will be on par in terms of interior quality, partly because the UX is one class lower, but the Lexus badge means it'll have some nice surfaces
it is just pictures... UX is one size but not class lower... Rav4 starts $10k less than UX, materials are cheaper for sure.

UX shifter looks really good close up... then you will have people complaining why is it nicer than RX shifter, lol. Cant win on internet.

I am glad Toyota made Rav4 interior that does not look like crap... 4.3 had it, 4.4 failed miserably, but it is not going to be a Lexus interior even at $35k+ that some of Rav4's will go for.

Old 11-04-18, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
UX shifter looks really good close up... then you will have people complaining why is it nicer than RX shifter, lol. Cant win on internet.
Bitkahuna will probably complain about the leather boot on the shifter, just like I complain about zig-zag shifters in general LOL (Sorry, bit......couldn't resist that one).

I am glad Toyota made Rav4 interior that does not look like crap... 4.3 had it, 4.4 failed miserably,
If (?), by 4.4, you mean the last--generation version, I mostly agree....I wouldn't say it necessarily looked like crap, but, except for the tank-solid attachment-anchor for the rear-seat folding, most of the materials inside felt like dime-store quality that would break off in your hand.
Old 11-04-18, 06:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

If (?), by 4.4, you mean the last--generation version, I mostly agree....I wouldn't say it necessarily looked like crap, but, except for the tank-solid attachment-anchor for the rear-seat folding, most of the materials inside felt like dime-store quality that would break off in your hand.
I call that an over-exaggeration. I know that you do not like modern Toyotas and Lexi but let's not over-exaggerate.

The interior materials of the current, 4th-generation RAV4 were not that bad, definitely not "dime-store quality", in my opinion. If they truly were that bad, I don't see how it could have become America's best-selling crossover, better than the Honda CR-V and the Ford Escape.
Old 11-04-18, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, but embargos and product-delays can get out of hand. A perfect example was the Lincoln Continental....you, me, and Steve were writing it up while the auto press was still mum, and not even first-drives were being released. Then, when it was finally was released, and we started to see some press-reviews (though Steve and I got to test-drive some early samples), nobody bought it. I can still count the number I've actually seen on the road on one hand...over a year and a half later.
I would not call that a problem with the embargo. Production f*ed up and could not bring a job one product that could meet its own quality control requirements.

All of an automaker's functional groups do not and cannot approach a new-product introduction in isolation. They MUST work together, and like ALL new-product introductions, the introduction of the Lincoln Continental would have been meticulously planned, and all groups involved -- including Marketing (responsible for hosting introduction drives and enforcing the embargo) and Production (responsible for assembling a product that was good enough to sell by the ship date) -- would have agreed and signed up to a schedule of activities and deadlines. Marketing held up their end, assuming that Production would meet its responsibilities. Production did not.
Old 11-04-18, 08:02 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The new Rav4 is nice. I just don't know if I can go back to get one as I have been spoiled with luxury SUV.
Old 11-04-18, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I call that an over-exaggeration. I know that you do not like modern Toyotas and Lexi but let's not over-exaggerate.

The interior materials of the current, 4th-generation RAV4 were not that bad, definitely not "dime-store quality", in my opinion. If they truly were that bad, I don't see how it could have become America's best-selling crossover, better than the Honda CR-V and the Ford Escape.

Just a general comparison.....I was not being literal.
Old 11-04-18, 08:24 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

this will be my next car.. hopefully the refresh model in 3 years will take care of the black plastic wheel well fender arches or whatever it's called.
Old 11-04-18, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Bitkahuna will probably complain about the leather boot on the shifter, just like I complain about zig-zag shifters in general LOL (Sorry, bit......couldn't resist that one).
thx yeah, no fan of leather shifter boots except on manuals... on autos they just look cheap. Most euro luxury doesn't do them these days.

most of the materials inside felt like dime-store quality that would break off in your hand.
With inflation you should change your term to dollar-store these days.
Old 11-05-18, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With inflation you should change your term to dollar-store these days.
Wouldn't be the first time I had to pass the buck.

Quick Reply: When will the new RAV-4 be released?