Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 11:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's part of what drove a large part of the American public, though, back in the 1980s, away from Detroit and into the arms of Japanese manufacturers, particularly Toyota and Honda (see my post above on the Chevy Citation). People heard nothing but hype in the media, auto-press, and from GM for months, and then, when the cars were released, those people got seriously burned. Same with Chrysler and Omni/Horizon and later K-cars, when Lee Iacocca took over. Ford also had problems, but didn't tend to hype their vehicles as much.

Yes, you can argue that that was 30 or 40 years ago, but to some extent at least, the principle today has not changed very much.
I would argue it was the crappy cars and not the fact that there was media hype on them. There has been (and always will be) media hype on good vehicles as well as bad. After all, it is the manufacturers job to sell and market cars and trucks and this is all just a part of that.
Old 11-12-18, 11:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

In any case, the embargo on the RAV4 lifts on the 20th. Surely we can make it for 8 more days.

Last edited by JDR76; 11-12-18 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I would argue it was the crappy cars and not the fact that there was media hype on them. There has been (and always will be) media hype on good vehicles as well as bad. After all, it is the manufacturers job to sell and market cars and trucks and this is all just a part of that.
Absolutely it was crappy cars. You won't get a single word of argument from me on that. But, what made it worse is that millions of people got stuck with those crappy cars after months of hype from the manufacturers and the fact that even some of the auto press was duped.

Car & Driver Magazine, for instance (which I'm sure many of you read, as I did at the time), later admitted they were fooled. GM sent them a press-fleet of Citation/Phoenix/Omega/Skylark X-Body compacts that had been carefully built to exacting standards that the average production line wouldn't see, tires partially-shaved to imitate a break-in, engines tuned to different standards, and suspension tweaks all designed to make the vehicles appear better than they would actually be during production. So C&D themselves basically joined in the hype....and later apologized to their own readers, many (including myself) who ended up with lemons.

I know we're getting off-topic, though......the new RAV-4. Fortunately, automotive quality control (especially Toyota's) has come a long way since the dark Detroit days of 1980. Unfortunately, corporate marketing hasn't.
Old 11-15-18, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is just pictures... UX is one size but not class lower... Rav4 starts $10k less than UX, materials are cheaper for sure.

UX shifter looks really good close up... then you will have people complaining why is it nicer than RX shifter, lol. Cant win on internet.

I am glad Toyota made Rav4 interior that does not look like crap... 4.3 had it, 4.4 failed miserably, but it is not going to be a Lexus interior even at $35k+ that some of Rav4's will go for.
I just drove the UX. My earlier comment should be struck from the record. The UX shifter was up to snuff lol
Old 11-20-18, 06:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So the embargo lifted last night.

Funny how all those who complained about embargo’s etc etc have not said a thing.

Reveiws are a mixed bag.
Old 11-20-18, 07:00 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

This things will sell like hot cakes, I have no doubt. I think the hybrid sells will jump significantly with its estimated 41 city mpg, but averaging 39 mpg and only costing $800 more than the equally equipped gas model.
Old 11-20-18, 07:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I do like the looks of it. Interior I am not sure. You are right, it will sell very well
Old 11-20-18, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think the new Rav looks great. Watched a video about it this morning. Especially the interior IMHO is a huge improvement in material quality. Styling it keeps its lane as more "rugged" looking than other entries which is fine IMHO. Might not be my choice if I were buying in that segment, but its nice to have options with different personalities.
Old 11-20-18, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So the embargo lifted last night.Funny how all those who complained about embargo’s etc etc have not said a thing.

I didn't know the embargo was lifted last night. I might (?) have said something.

I'll be looking for King Alex's review, but, of course, also doing my own. Still no sign of any at local Toyota shops here. I don't quite understand the December release, though, in the Holiday Season .....Lexus also did the same thing with a couple of its recent SUV introductions. Although some people do buy vehicles during this time (Lexus, of course, has the gift-wrap promotion for their Holiday sales event), the vast majority do not, being tied up with traditional Holiday shopping and gifts instead.
Old 11-20-18, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Alex's review was posted. Calling him "King Alex" is kinda weird...

Anyways...in terms of embargoes, they do embargoes to control the press flow for the roll out, and so they can serve the motoring press equally and fairly. Imagine how big a PITA it would be if you have press members all clamoring to see a new car first if you were the manufacturer?
Old 11-20-18, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Alex's review was posted. Calling him "King Alex" is kinda weird...
No idolatry here LOL. I just like the guy, and consider him the best and most thorough reviewer I've seen yet. Doug Demuro is also good in some areas. I also like Motorweek's John Davis....a nice guy with good temperament (I used to see him at the D.C. Show, but he hasn't been there for the last few years)...but the show-slots don't really give him enough time to do a thorough review from stem to stern....it usually just a five-minute quickie. Wouldn't be surprised if John decides to call it a retirement soon......he's been reviewing for around 40 years.
Old 11-20-18, 08:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Reveiws are a mixed bag.
How so? From the few vids and articles (Alex, KBB, C&D), it was quite positive, especially for the hybrid model.
Old 11-20-18, 08:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't quite understand the December release, though, in the Holiday Season .....Lexus also did the same thing with a couple of its recent SUV introductions. Although some people do buy vehicles during this time (Lexus, of course, has the gift-wrap promotion for their Holiday sales event), the vast majority do not, being tied up with traditional Holiday shopping and gifts instead.
December is typically a big month for car sales.
Old 11-20-18, 08:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

No idolatry here LOL. I just like the guy, and consider him the best and most thorough reviewer I've seen yet. Doug Demuro is also good in some areas. I also like Motorweek's John Davis....a nice guy with good temperament (I used to see him at the D.C. Show, but he hasn't been there for the last few years)...but the show-slots don't really give him enough time to do a thorough review from stem to stern....it usually just a five-minute quickie. Wouldn't be surprised if John decides to call it a retirement soon......he's been reviewing for around 40 years.
I can't stand Doug Demuro. Just my opinion. Gritted my teeth through 2 of his videos, one was about the Previa because it reminded me of my childhood and he ruined it for me.
Old 11-20-18, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I can't stand Doug Demuro. Just my opinion. Gritted my teeth through 2 of his videos, one was about the Previa because it reminded me of my childhood and he ruined it for me.
I saw that Previa video too, and I thought it was great.

Quick Reply: When will the new RAV-4 be released?