Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 07:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be interested to see how well this more "rugged" look is received. My gut would say that the target market for a RAV-4 doesn't want rugged; but I would assume Toyota has done its homework.
Old 11-05-18, 08:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'll be interested to see how well this more "rugged" look is received. My gut would say that the target market for a RAV-4 doesn't want rugged; but I would assume Toyota has done its homework.
there are 3 "very" different trims of Rav4... one is "normal", another is Sporty and 3rd is Off-road.

So they have absolutely nothing to lose. I expect new Rav4 to become of the best selling vehicles worldwide, as old (so boring!) one sold really well and this one is so much better and yet it will keep similar pricing.
It is not just exterior looks or interior quality... new TNGA based suspensions are really good and powertrains are world class now.

Can new Rav4 go over 1m sales? Maybe not, but 900k is given, bar any production issues.

Old 11-05-18, 08:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

thx yeah, no fan of leather shifter boots except on manuals... on autos they just look cheap. Most euro luxury doesn't do them these days.
how can leather look cheap? I never understood how can shifter stick coming out of plastic/rubber look better than when it is surrounded with leather, but i guess we all have our own preferences.
Old 11-05-18, 10:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

thx yeah, no fan of leather shifter boots except on manuals... on autos they just look cheap. Most euro luxury doesn't do them these days.
Many Euro brands are utilizing electronic shifters. So--Jag/Land Rover's dial is better than a leather booted auto shift ****? Or MB's column shifter?

My BMW has the "Sport" auto, with a leather like cover at the base; the standard shifter wasn't covered, and you could see the ball mechanism on the e-shifter. I will gladly tell you which one looks "cheaper".

But--the shifter in an Audi A4 does look very nice without any leather boot.
Old 11-05-18, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Many Euro brands are utilizing electronic shifters. So--Jag/Land Rover's dial is better than a leather booted auto shift ****? Or MB's column shifter?

My BMW has the "Sport" auto, with a leather like cover at the base; the standard shifter wasn't covered, and you could see the ball mechanism on the e-shifter. I will gladly tell you which one looks "cheaper".

But--the shifter in an Audi A4 does look very nice without any leather boot.
A4 also has leather boot... And as you say BMW's sport shifter does too.
Old 11-05-18, 11:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
A4 also has leather boot...
I see this now--I had in my head prior generations. IMO, it looks pretty classy like that.

Old 11-05-18, 01:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how can leather look cheap? I never understood how can shifter stick coming out of plastic/rubber look better than when it is surrounded with leather, but i guess we all have our own preferences.
as an example, i think this looks great vs. any leather boot on a shifter

Old 11-05-18, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

and of course i like the one in my own car

Old 11-11-18, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a fairly extensive but clearly limited video, done by an investigative journalist, with the approval of a Toyota Representative with him, on the new RAV-4 Hybrid. Toyota still has a formal embargo (which, IMO, is nonsense) on full-press reviews, but has allowed this one done on the interior/dash features and a test-drive in the rain.....without releasing the details of the test drive or a description one its road-manners. I will do that myself, of course, next month, when it is formally released......probably on a non-Hybrid version.

As would be expected from a company-rep, this is actually more of a PR ad than a true review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota still has a formal embargo (which, IMO, is nonsense) on full-press reviews,

Why is a formal embargo no nonsense?
Old 11-11-18, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why is a formal embargo no nonsense?
Just my way of thinking. I don't believe in putting muzzles on auto-reviewers, especially this close to the formal release-date. It was a PITA with the new Continental, and a PITA with this vehicle as well. Only THIS time, unlike with the new Conti, people are actually lined up to buy it.
Old 11-11-18, 06:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just my way of thinking. I don't believe in putting muzzles on auto-reviewers, especially this close to the formal release-date. It was a PITA with the new Continental, and a PITA with this vehicle as well. Only THIS time, unlike with the new Conti, people are actually lined up to buy it.
Its done for fairness among those in the press. Both the manufacturer and the press need each other. The manufacturer can rightfully deny press credentials to anyone. also, the manufacturer can get a better control of their marketing methods etc. It's more like a relationship and both need to work together.
Old 11-11-18, 06:45 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its done for fairness among those in the press. ...
I'm pretty sure it's more about building hype. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 11-11-18, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm pretty sure it's more about building hype. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I can't speak for everyone, but many of us, as car enthusiasts, get irked when the manufacturers keep too much, too long, under wraps. I especially would like to see what King Alex (Dykes) has to say about it....IMO he is the best reviewer in the business.
Old 11-11-18, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Absolutely. However, not everything and anything is embargoed.

Quick Reply: When will the new RAV-4 be released?