Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the new RAV-4 be released?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Absolutely. However, not everything and anything is embargoed.
manufacturer's want their cake and eat it... to control the flow of information... can't blame them but it is b.s. to release only certain info.

Old 11-12-18, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
manufacturer's want their cake and eat it... to control the flow of information... can't blame them but it is b.s. to release only certain info.
How so? No all info is always embargoed. It’s their product.
Old 11-12-18, 06:52 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How so? No all info is always embargoed. It’s their product.
I understand it is the to create hype, but when they trickle out a little information and have an embargo end date much farther away, makes the wait annoying.
Old 11-12-18, 07:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
I understand it is the to create hype, but when they trickle out a little information and have an embargo end date much farther away, makes the wait annoying.
Again. It is their product. Many journalists are paid to be at those events by the manufacturer. Not all. Do you not see how it is a relationship? They both need each other. The marketing companies can not approve Motor Trend for a test vehicle or credentials or to even attend an event if they want. This is why they do it. And anyone who works in the press will understand that there is a fairness to those covering the event as it allows every publication to get their chance and turn to look at something. This way there is no favorism on who get the info out and who gets the clicks and reads first etc etc
Old 11-12-18, 08:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yes it's their product, they can do what they like. not everyone has to like it.
Old 11-12-18, 08:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not everyone has to like it.
Not saying you need to like it. But a level of respect for the way things are done would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-18, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't have any issues with these embargos. After all it's the manufacturers new model, their launch strategy, budget, responsibility and understanding of the competitive landscape. They have to do what they see fit.
Old 11-12-18, 10:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no doubt that new Rav4 is leaps and bounds over uninspiring old model... but there is also no way it is close to interior quality of UX.

I would seriously consider new Rav4 Hybrid, where previously there was no chance I would get that box on wheels Rav4.4.

Also, in many things it is going to be much better bang for the buck than NX, even though there will be gulf in engine power... but at the same time it will only happen in 2019, and only with top end Rav4 models that will cost $35k, and then in late 2020, new NX will make us wonder why Rav4 exists.
The NX interior is not all that impressive, even on the F Sport model so its not all that hard to surpass it.
Old 11-12-18, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The NX interior is not all that impressive, even on the F Sport model so its not all that hard to surpass it.

Agreed. When I reviewed the NX, I thought it was a disappointment by Lexus standards. Noise-control, ride comfort, general refinement, and interior poshness were, IMO, all lacking. The new RX, when I reviewed it, despite its oversize in-your-face spindle grille and the trick "floating roof' design, was a FAR nicer vehicle on the road.....simply no comparison.
Old 11-12-18, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't have any issues with these embargos. After all it's the manufacturers new model, their launch strategy, budget, responsibility and understanding of the competitive landscape. They have to do what they see fit.
Great post. There are embargoes in every line of industry. I think most people on here who are taking the cheap shots at them really do not understand why and how they work.
Old 11-12-18, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Great post. There are embargoes in every line of industry. I think most people on here who are taking the cheap shots at them really do not understand why and how they work.
I've been following the auto market all of my adult life (and a good part of my teen-age life)...which is a number of decades. I know exactly how they work. They are designed to create hype over new designs and stir up potential interest in the general public. True auto enthusuiasts, though, can usually see right past that, and can (and sometimes do) get riled when people are treated like pawns. That's not taking a cheap shot....that's telling it like it is.

A little off-topic, but perhaps the best example of this, over the years, was with the GM X-Body compacts, introduced in 1980. These cars were hyped like nothing I had ever seen before, and set first-year sales records (And, they were, in fact, a brilliant idea in terms of design, but the engineering, execution, and quality control were incredibly poor). I bought a 1980 Chevy Citation myself....a big mistake, especially with the wide-ratio four-speed manual transmission. It was the most poorly-built new car I ever owned....constantly in the shop for problems that often couldn't be fixed because of poor design).......the only new car I've seen that was worse (and I did not own one) was the 1984 Pontiac Fiero. That Citation (and the Plymouth Horizon I owned before it) also taught me a lesson...not to fall in love with new designs just because of the hype.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-12-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 11:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm totally fine with the embargoes. I would worry that the first reviews out may influence subsequent reviews, and also imagine that you'd end up with a scenario where, at least for the highly anticipated releases, you'd have the reviewers/magazines all trying out out bid the others to get the first review. The one with the most money wins.

As others have mentioned, the release of a new product is highly coordinated. These companies spend large amounts of money to develop these cars so I do not have any issue with them wanting to control how the product is revealed to the public.
Old 11-12-18, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm totally fine with the embargoes. I would worry that the first reviews out may influence subsequent reviews, and also imagine that you'd end up with a scenario where, at least for the highly anticipated releases, you'd have the reviewers/magazines all trying out out bid the others to get the first review. The one with the most money wins.

As others have mentioned, the release of a new product is highly coordinated. These companies spend large amounts of money to develop these cars so I do not have any issue with them wanting to control how the product is revealed to the public.
This is exactly the case. All very well said. Allowing everyone some time to review and rate the product is a fair way for everyone involved Many products have sales embargoes, books is one of them. Movies and CDs.
Old 11-12-18, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
That's part of what drove a large part of the American public, though, back in the 1980s, away from Detroit and into the arms of Japanese manufacturers, particularly Toyota and Honda (see my post above on the Chevy Citation). People heard nothing but hype in the media, auto-press, and from GM for months, and then, when the cars were released, those people got seriously burned. Same with Chrysler and Omni/Horizon and later K-cars, when Lee Iacocca took over. Ford also had problems, but didn't tend to hype their vehicles as much.

Yes, you can argue that that was 30 or 40 years ago, but to some extent at least, the principle today has not changed very much.
Old 11-12-18, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

There are embargoes in every line of industry.
i don't think the tech industry does this that i'm aware of. i don't see samsung telling the press 'hey, you can show what this phone looks like, but not any of its features'.

and no, i don't have to respect embargoes... like 'concept cars' i think they're stupid.

Quick Reply: When will the new RAV-4 be released?