Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350

By CL-Member request, a Review of the all-new 2019 Lexus ES350

https://www.lexus.com/models/ES

IN A NUTSHELL: The sedan market in the U.S. takes a licking, but the ES keeps on ticking.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Buick Lacrosse, Kia Cadenza, Toyota Avalon, Lincoln MKZ, Genesis G80, Acura TLX, Mercedes C300, Audi A4/A5 Sportback, BMW 330i, Infiniti Q50, Volvo S60.

OVERVIEW:

Although the ubiquitous Lexus ES has become the quintessial Japanese-nameplate FWD entry-level luxury sedan, the first-generation version could not really be called a luxury vehicle. Introduced shortly after the first LS400's 1990 debut, the First-Generation ES250 was essentially a face-lifted/rebadged Toyota Camry, with some minor differences in grille, wheels, exterior trim, dash, upholstery, and standard equipment. The next, Second-Generation ES, of course, shared the driving-refinement of the superb XV10 1992-96 Camry, IMO the best Camry ever built, but was not particularly impressive in its interior design or exterior styling, both of which were somewhat appliance-like. The Third-Generation ES was not a whole lot different from the Second, but, when the all-new Fourth-Generation version debuted, it was superb....IMO, easily the best ES up to that point, and better than the Fifth and Sixth Generation models which followed it, both of which incorporated obvious cost-cuts in materials. The Fourth Generation ES had a silky ride, effective noise isolation, acres of superb genuine polished Walnut wood trim all over the interior, well-done hardware, and an enviable reliability record. As I stated, I felt that, in comparison, both of its successors were disappointments. The only thing on the Fourth-Generation model that I thought could be improved was the Wonky-looking, up-sweep headlights that went half way up the sides of the hood....but, in fairness, they put out a lot of lumens at night.

Not surprisingly, given its reasonable price (especially compared to the Germans), excellent reliability, Cush-Tush driving manners (which a lot of American drivers like), and FWD layout for reasonably good winter traction without the need for AWD or special tires, the ES became the runaway best-selling sedan for Lexus in America......and, despite the general downturn in sedan sales, remains so today. Only the also-ubiquitous Lexus RX350 crossover SUV (and, lately, the smaller NX) goes out the door in the kind of numbers (or more) that the ES does. The RX, of course, is also based on the Camry platform....as the ES remains to this day, even with the all-new 2019 version.

For 2019, of course, the all-new Seventh-Generation ES (as aforementioned) remains solidly on the Camry platform.....although there are a number of differences, which I'll touch on a little later. The American-market version comes in seven versions.......the ES350 ($39,600), ES350 Luxury, ES350 Ultra Luxury ($43,250), ES350h Hybrid ($41,410), ES350h Luxury ($44,065), ES350h Ultra Luxury ($45,060), and ES350 F-Sport ($44,135). The F-Sport version is new this year for the ES. I myself question the need for an F-Sport package for the ES, considering the type of conservative (and often older) driver that the ES line generally appeals to.....many of the same drivers who are also in the soft-riding Buick Lacrosse and Lincoln MKZ. But, perhaps the Lexus marketers feel that, with the imminent (or likely imminent) demise of the RWD GS sedan, and the fact that the entry-level RWD Lexus IS sedan may not be upmarket enough for some, there just might (?) be somewhat of a market for a slightly sportier version of the traditionally Camry-like ES. Rumors of an AWD ES350 (which I think is a good idea) have been around for some time, but, as I write this, there is still no firm date for a U.S.-market introduction....I will post if I do hear of it. For the current ES lineup, two different drivetrains are used. Non-hybrid models (including the F-Sport) use a 3.5L V6 of 302 HP and 267 ft-lbs.of torque and a Select-Shift 8-speed automatic. Hybrid models use an in-line 2.5L four, CVT (Continuously-Variable) transmission, and a permanent-magnet electric motor/drive system with a total system 215 HP......Lexus, unlike some other manufacturers, does not give detailed specs or torque figures for its hybrid systems.

I was going to wait and perhaps do the ES350 review for the Annual Holiday Review I typically do in late November or early December each year...but, since I have a couple of ES350 requests (and one for the much more expensive Audi A8), and the new 2019 ES models are coming into D.C.-area dealerships, I figured I might as well do the ES now, before Christmas season starts. I've also got one or two issues for the shop to look at in my Lacrosse next week. For the review, I chose a non-hybrid ES350 Ultra-Luxury model. It had an interesting-looking interior with black/camel-tan leather seats and the very light-grain Matte bamboo wood similar to what is found on some Volvos....basically, the wood pattern almost matched the seats. My particular test car also included the optional 18" low-profile 45-series high-performance tire package * (taller 55s on 17-inchers are standard), which significantly impacted its road manners and refinement....more on that later. It was the Atomic Silver paint job......one of the classic Lexus colors that they really nailed, IMO.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2019 Lexus ES350 Ultra-Luxury.

BASE PRICE: $43,250

MAJOR OPTIONS:

Navigation/Mark Levinson Stereo Package

18" Wheels/High-Performance Tires

Blind Spot Monitor

Rear-Cross-Traffic Alert

Intuitive Parking Assist with Auto-Braking

Lane Departure Warning

Rear Pedestrian Detection

Panoramic View Monitor

Windshield Heads Up Display

Premium Triple-beam LED headlights

Cargo Net

Heated Wood Steering Wheel/Cold Weather Package

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1025 (a little steep for a car of this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $53,035

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.5L V6, 302 HP @ 6600 RPM, Torque 267 Ft-lbs. @ 4700 RPM, 8-speed Sport-shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City, 33 Highway, 26 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Atomic Silver (IMO one of the best paint colors Lexus does)

INTERIOR: Flaxen (Camel-Tan) Leather.

PLUSSES:

Excellent past reliability record.

Finally......a fore/aft shift-lever instead of the former zig-zags.

Decent underhood layout by Lexus standards.

Good non-hybrid EPA mileage figures for this class.

Excellent handling with the 18" 45-series tire package.

Smooth, well-done brakes.

Reasonably peppy V6, especially in Sport Mode.

Relatively good legroom in the rear for this size car.

Excellent Mark Levinson stereo.

Generally comfortable, reasonably well-padded front seats in non-F-Sport versions.

Nice paint color choice despite a general lack of bright colors.

Typical A-One quality Toyota/Lexus paint job.

Side-body moldings for parking-lot protection an option (they should be standard, IMO)

MINUSES:

Sunroof housing impacts headroom for some taller people.

Some El Cheapo interior buttons/*****.

Rear seat does not fold down for cargo space.

Smallish trunk-lid opening.

Performance tires add harshness and road noise.

Annoying Lane-Departure Nanny-Rumbler.

F-Sport seats slightly too narrow for wide persons.

Interior trim-material quality a mixed bag.

EXTERIOR:

The latest 2019 redesign for the ES seems to bring it into even closer proximity with that of its sister Toyota Camry, which was redesigned last year, for 2018. The general body shape of the two are quite similar (more so than in past years), particularly in the roofline and trunk. The major difference, of course, is the ever-controversial Lexus spindle-grille up front, which is noticeably larger than in the last-generation ES. Opinions differ on the spindle-grilles, as styling is subjective, but, while I respect the opinions of others, I am not, and have never been, a spindle-grille-fan. I general, the larger and more garish they are, the less I like them....and that seems to be the basic direction they are going on most Lexus products. The high-performance wheels/tires on my test car did not fill up the wheel-wells, and left a noticeable gap.......I know that some people like the overstuffed look, but IMO having some space in there makes sense, particularly when it gets dirty or salty up inside the wells, and you need to get a hose-nozzle in there to clean things out (I wash my car regularly by hand, for the best results). Lexus says that the car itself is not shorter or narrower than the last-generation, but it seems to appear so from the optical-effect, where it (now) looks somewhat like its slightly smaller IS cousin. With this particular wheel/tire package, it also DRIVES more like an IS....but I'll get to that later.

The sheet metal itself seems reasonably solid in this day and age of tin-can bodies, and the doors shut with a reasonably solid sound. That was a noted weakness on the last-generation ES, but Lexus must have worked on the doors or added some more insulation part-way through the cycle.I looked at some leftover 2018 model ES's on the lot (which were built recently), and their doors seemed noticeably less tinny and more solid than the earlier 2015-2018 models. On the new 2019's, the plastic mirror-housings swung and locked into place smoothly and slickly, and the door handles, though with a somewhat flimsy-feeling pull-linkage, were hefty themselves and had a solid feel. I generally liked the available paint colors (particularly the Atomic Silver), though most of them were of a funeral-home intensity. The paint quality was the typical Toyota/Lexus evenness and mirror-gloss. I liked the fact that all of the price/trim lines come with the same choice of the same colors, across the line, without any of them being limited to any of the trim-versions, except for the F-Sport model, which gets a somewhat brighter Electric Blue that is not offered on any other version. I did notice, though, inside the showroom, an (IMO) awful-looking flat (Matte) Smoke-Gray paint job on an RC coupe. I remarked that somebody must have let it sit out in the sun too long LOL, and faded it out. The salespeople said it was a (roughly) $9000 special-production option....well, so much for that.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the reasonably solid hood, and a nice set of gas struts holds it up for you.....no fumbling around with those idiotic manual prop-rods, especially in a strong breeze. Under the hood lies the usual insulation-pad. The general underhood layout, even with the relatively large V6, is reasonably good by Lexus standards, which often hides virtually everything under big panels and covers. The transversely-mounted V6 fits in a little on the tight side, but with at least some room to reach things done the front side of the block. The top of the engine block has a large plastic cover on it, but the battery, to the right, is uncovered, and the terminals, if necessary, are generally easy to get at. The dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs, as with most vehicles, are generally easy to see and reach.

INTERIOR:

The new ES's interior is not one of my favorites, though it admittedly had some nice features. The sunroof housing, while not extremely intrusive, does force tall people my height to rake the setback a little to lower my had enough to fit, even with the bottom seat cushion all the way down. The seats in the regular ES were reasonably comfortable and well-padded (I don't like a firm seat cushion), but the wine-red ones in the F-Sport, as with many sport-oriented seats, were (just slightly) too narrow for my big frame and torso. Legroom was surprisingly good in the rear for a sedan this size, but headroom, likewise, was just borderline in back. The materials used inside seemed to be a mixture of solid, high-quality stuff and comparatively cheap flimsiness. In general. the controls/switches/buttons were well-done and solid, except for the flimsy black-plastic **** on the dash that turns the stereo system on/off and adjusts the volume. The inside door-handles had a sharp-looking brushed-metal finish, and felt like real metal, not plastic. The aforementioned light-shade, bamboo wood trim, however, was not impressive-looking...and IMO was not as well-done as in the Volvo competition. A narrow strip of it runs along the top of the dash and base of the windshield, similar to the last-generation Buick Lacrosse, more of it is located on the upper/lower steering-wheel rim, and some more narrow strips on the door panels. The plastic trim-strips on the door panels have a cheap flimsy feel, but the metallic trim on the same door panels, though, feels very nice. Again, it seems to be real metal rather then imitation. The sun visors have an ivory-colored fabric material on them...not as nice as the felt/velour fabric on the new LS500, but better than the hard plastic we see on many vehicles today. The new fore-aft shift-lever is a real gem (more on that below). The optional Mark Levinson stereo, which my test car had, was very impressive in its sound quality.....but not as insanely good as the last Mark Levinson unit I listened to on the LS460. That LS460 unit was unbelievable.....especially with James Brown doing his classic Soul/Funk-routine.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

As with most sedans today (which generally try to imitate couples in their styling), the Humpback-Whale roof line and sharply-raked rear window mean a somewhat smallish trunk lid opening, but most reasonably-sized packages and items can be loaded in and out without much trouble. A scuff-plate for the top of the rear bumper, if desired, with the Lexus logo on it, is available to help prevent scrapes/scratches/scuffs to the paint on the bumper itself when loading or loading larger heavier things. There is a reasonable amount of room itself inside the trunk, and it is lined with reasonably nice carpet and materials, but you pretty much have to make do with what room is available in the trunk, because the rear seats don't fold down to expand the available space. There is, however, a small pass-through the rear seats, about a foot or so square, to stick long things through like skis or fishing poles. So.....you still need to carry more?. Well then, the Lexus salespeople will be happy to walk you over to the other end of the showroom, so they can write you up for a new RX or NX, like so many others are buying. My test car had the optional cargo net. Under the floor lies a large black molded-styrofoam-container for the jack-tools, and, under that, a full-size temporary spare tire.....at least you aren't stuck with run-flat tires or a compressed-air bottle.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 3.5L V6, and it idles with the usual Lexus quietness and refinement. On the road, it remains smooth and has a fair amount of pep, but dialing in the NORMAL or ECO drive-mode dials back the power noticeably.....you have to keep it in SPORT for maximum engine response, though, as usual, with a brand-new engine that is unbroken-in, I didn't take the RPM over 4000. Maximum response also brings about more exhaust noise, as the pipes in the new 2019 ES seem to deliver a little more of a sport-tune sound than in the past. (I did not sample the F-Sport version on the road, but I suspect it will have the same or louder muffler-tuning. The 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic is new this year to the ES, and probably contributes to the relatively good EPA ratings for a sedan of this type and power. Sport-shift paddles are provided on the steering column (unlike those on my Lacrosse, the paddles have a nice, firm, and solid feel), and Sport/Manual mode can also be accessed with the shift lever. The shifts are all generally smooth, whether full-automatic or manual. And Kudos to the Lexus designers, on the new ES, for FINALLY getting rid of the (IMO) annoying zig-zag shifter of past versions...it is now what it should have been all along, a nice straight fore-aft motion.

The optional 18" wheels and high-performance 45-series tires, * which my test car had, transform the car's character from that of a smooth, quiet cruiser to that of a semi-sports sedan....too much so for my tastes, as I like comfy-cruisers. Indeed, IMO, my test car, as equipped (and despite its FWD layout), actually felt more like a RWD IS350 sport-sedan than what the former cushy ES models were like. If I were buying this car, I'd choose the base 17" wheels and 55-series rubber for a (probably) smoother and quieter ride. The 45s give a good level of steering response, and the suspension keeps things planted relatively level in the corners. The performance tires give a fair amount (for the class) of road noise on porous or rough surfaces....a little quieter on smooth non-porous pavement. Wind noise is generally well-controlled. If, for any reason, you want an F-Sport, and just don't like the wine-red color of the seat-leather, or you are simply too wide for the F-Sport's narrower bolsters, check out this 18" 45-series package.....you might (?) find it an acceptable alternative, as it definitely gives the car some athletics. With the F-Sport, of course, you get even lower-profile 40-series tires. As for me, however.....I'd probably be happiest with the softer-riding 18" 55s. I liked the brakes....smooth pedal, only a very minor amount of mushiness at the very top of the travel, and generally good response. No significant problems, either, with my big Circus-Clown Size 15 men's shoe and the brake/gas pedal placement. One thing I definitely did not like, on the road, was the Nanny-Reminder for the lane-departure warning system. It was not quite as annoying as the constant Beep-Beep of some systems, but still something that, for me, got a little long in the tooth with the way it activates a rumbling-sound and vibration through the wheel. The first couple of times, until I figured out what it was, I thought maybe a couple of lug nuts on the left-front wheel were starting to work loose.

THE VERDICT:

Even though there are admittedly some things on this car I don't like, there are, of course, a number of reasons to buy or lease an ES....or any other Lexus product. Good-to-excellent dealer service at most (not all) Lexus shops, an enviable reliability record that still remains at the top of the American-market auto industry despite some cheapening of their products in the last 10-15 years, low depreciation which makes for comparatively good lease-rates, slick-smooth, quiet drive trains (though the exhaust can sometimes get noticeable on this car), the panache of driving something with an "L" on the grille, and, in some cases, even being able to have some maintenance/repair work done at Toyota shops, for less money, using some of the same materials/fluids and parts.

I'm always honest in my reviews, though, and, in my opinion, Lexus still has not, even with this latest version, come up with a successor that can equal or excel the superb Fourth-Generation ES that was produced in the early 2000s. The newer ones, of course, have more safety features and more efficient drivetrains, but, IMO, just don't feel like as much of a Lexus as that one did. Like the superb 3rd-Generation Camry of the early-mid 1990s, the Fourth-Generation ES, except for some throttle-by-wire ECU-programming problems, was a remarkably good design, and will live on in history. Of course, for those who want a slightly sportier and more athletic version of the ES (and a possible alternative to the soon-to-be-discontinued Lexus GS), the new version offers the athletic wheels/tires and the F-Sport version what was not available before. Now, all we're (still) waiting for is the AWD version for when the weather really turns bad....not everyone wants or needs an SUV for bad weather.

Having said that, though, by today's standards, the ES is still a very solid choice......and the sales figures prove it. It is one of the sedans that still manage to give the insanely-good-selling SUVs today a run for the money in sales....and that comes from a lot of satisfied buyers and leasers. One of my colleagues at the indoor pool I swim in almost every day (retired, like me, and close enough that I can call him a friend) leases a new ES every 27 months (that's the term they give him at the dealership), and he will probably be back for a another new soon. I'll have to warn him about the new optional 45-series tires and the F-Sport model LOL...as he likes a cushy ride, like me, and would not want those versions. He is only one of many customers, though.....as I said in my opening statement above, this is one sedan, in this Age of SUVs, that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

* After I posted this review, it was determined, with the input of some other CL members (thanks to all those involved), that these were NOT true high-performance tires, but simply the usual low-profile Touring/all-season radials. I was not aware of the fact that Lexus puts a performance-type tread-wear disclaimer sign on any vehicle with 45-series tires or below....not just true high-performance rubber. It was confusing until I found that out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 07:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IN A NUTSHELL: The sedan market in the U.S. takes a licking, but the ES keeps on ticking.
slick... who are you, slick rick?

interior is very nice, as is to be expected. i still don't like the grille, as is to be expected. i just hope toyota doesn't think they can claim this to be an adequate GS replacement.
Old 10-24-18, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
slick... who are you, slick rick?
No, but I have a friend named Rick LOL. I'll have to do a review for him when it comes out......he's waiting for the new Ford Ranger pickup.

interior is very nice, as is to be expected.
Overall, it looks better in pictures than it does close-up....the materials inside are a mixture of very nice and not-so-nice materials. And the F-Sport model lacks any wood-paneling or wood-tone trim.

i still don't like the grille, as is to be expected.
The spindle grilles have been controversial since Day One. People either tend to like or hate them. The most garish one is (currently) on the RX, hands- down....but the one on the new 2019 ES is larger and more garish than on the last ES.

i just hope toyota doesn't think they can claim this to be an adequate GS replacement.
If you read my review/comments in detail, you'll notice I said that, especially with the optional 18" 45-series tires, the new ES actually drives more like the IS that it does former ES models. It doesn't have enough sound insulation, though, to be as quiet and refined as the GS was, though the standard 2019 ES with the 17" wheels and 55-series non-performance tires can be expected to be a little more refined.
Old 10-25-18, 12:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Good review, as usual.
I appreciate Lexus preserving the ES option and making it a quality, affordable entry for the masses. Once the initial hype of the new model dies off, lease deals will be very attractive once again
Question: Has anyone detected any torque steer with this model? From what I've read, no one has really said anything. I get nervous when I read the specs for high power/FWD and think what would happen if I was in traffic and had to punch it to get out of a wayward car's way.
Mike, check your third photo real quick. You included a pic of the old model.
Old 10-25-18, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good review, as usual.
Thanks. I'm certainly not an Alex Dykes, though. Check his long video-reviews out if you really want something complete from stem to stern.

I appreciate Lexus preserving the ES option and making it a quality, affordable entry for the masses. Once the initial hype of the new model dies off, lease deals will be very attractive once again.
This particular test car, of course, listing at 53K, is not what I would call affordable, but base models start around 40K.

Question: Has anyone detected any torque steer with this model? From what I've read, no one has really said anything. I get nervous when I read the specs for high power/FWD and think what would happen if I was in traffic and had to punch it to get out of a wayward car's way.
I didn't notice any during my drive, but, because it was a new engine, I did not go over 4000 RPM into the power-peaks. Torque steer, of course, comes from torque, not HP, and its 267 ft-lbs. is not all that high....about the same as the similarly-sized V6s in competitors. Engineers also use tricks in drivetrain engineering (such as unequal-length drive shafts and some torque-restrictions in the lower gears) to overcome its effects.

Mike, check your third photo real quick. You included a pic of the old model.
Thanks.....corrected. Google photos can be notoriously inaccurate. I've had trouble uploading some my personal shots, though.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm waiting for the new Ford Ranger to come out...definitely have that one on my review list. A close friend of mine is ready to replace his old Ford Explorer Sport Trac, dating from the early 2000s, but doesn't particularly like the four-door (Crew-Cab) Colorado/Canyon from GM, Toyota Tacoma, or Nissan Frontier. The four-door Crew cab Ranger, with the short bed, may (?) be the perfect replacement for him.
Old 10-25-18, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Good review. I'm really surprised you didn't like the ride and didn't think the car was that quiet. The one I drove rode very well and was very quiet...I wouldn't say at all it felt like an IS...

As for the 4th Gen, I had a 4th Gen 2003 ES, put 170k miles on it, and its still in the family (I saw it yesterday). It was and still is a great car, great interior quality that hasn't been matched by another ES I agree, including this one. However, I enjoyed driving the 2010 ES350 I replaced it with more, and this ES would also be a car that I would enjoy driving more. The softest ride quality is not the be all, end all of a car being the more comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Yes, that 4th Gen ES was a great riding car, but it was a total pig on any curvy road, and at high speeds it lacked solidity and confidence that better Lexus sedans, and newer generations of the ES had. My 2010 ES350 by comparison might have rode slightly more firmly, but the tradeoff in overall feel, handling and straight line stability on the highway was huge, making it a much more enjoyable car to drive.
Old 10-25-18, 08:03 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I will say, my 2002 ES is a boat. It wallows in the curves, even with new KYB struts. I like the floaty ride, but its a chore in the mountains.

Luckily, I live in Northeast Texas, where the tallest mountain we have is like 200 feet LOL
Old 10-25-18, 08:14 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks MMARSHALL for this write up. Love reading your insightful observations and comments.

The Rumbler is a plus who like the 'vibration' over sound. Where does the Nanny part come from? That's a new term for me. I looked up the Lexus material online and didn't find a reference to a nanny. Pretty sure Fran Drescher does not count.

I wished more of the review contrasted with the previous ES 350 generation. For example, what areas did they make an improvement in (unchanged, or got worse). Perhaps test driving a 18 ES350 before the 19 ES350 on the road test could have revealed some more depth in how the new 300hp+ engine is responding.

I am not a fan of how the previous generation ES350's puffed up balloon interior space and would like to know if that feeling carried over into the new generation. Did Lexus make a worthy upgrade?
Old 10-25-18, 08:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Great write-up. Enjoyed reading it.
Old 10-25-18, 09:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Thanks MMARSHALL for this write up. Love reading your insightful observations and comments.

The Rumbler is a plus who like the 'vibration' over sound. Where does the Nanny part come from? That's a new term for me. I looked up the Lexus material online and didn't find a reference to a nanny. Pretty sure Fran Drescher does not count.

I wished more of the review contrasted with the previous ES 350 generation. For example, what areas did they make an improvement in (unchanged, or got worse). Perhaps test driving a 18 ES350 before the 19 ES350 on the road test could have revealed some more depth in how the new 300hp+ engine is responding.

I am not a fan of how the previous generation ES350's puffed up balloon interior space and would like to know if that feeling carried over into the new generation. Did Lexus make a worthy upgrade?
I agree. Plus I wished reviewers would start comparing how the car feels in terms of NVH and structural rigidity feel vs prior gen and its competitors, but I think it is beyond the scope of this review. Not a criticism, just saying places Motor Trend or even Alex Dykes would start doing that as a point of comparison.
Old 10-25-18, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I will say, my 2002 ES is a boat. It wallows in the curves, even with new KYB struts. I like the floaty ride, but its a chore in the mountains.
Yep, exactly my experience too, even when my 03 ES300 was brand new. The LS430 is similar, really a chore in the mountains. My 2010 ES rode probably 90% as well as my03 ES and yet handled 50% better, that was a tradeoff well worth making. Similar with the LS430 vs the LS460, again a tradeoff well worth making for overall driving enjoyment and comfort.

Originally Posted by All4Lexus

Don't want to horn in on Mike's thread, but thats a comparison I can make. I had a 2018 ES loaner and drove the 2019 ES within a week of each other.

Everything is an upgrade over the 2018 IMHO. It rides better, its quieter, many of the remaining interior material issues after the 2016 refresh are solved (some still remain as Mike said in his review), handles better. All around, its just a better car. Interior room is very similar. Exterior styling is subjective, I like the 2018 better in some ways, the 2019 better in some ways.

Not sure what you mean about "puffed up balloon interior space...
Old 10-25-18, 10:40 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

As for the lane departure "rumbler", unless they have changed things from my 2016 RX, you have a choice of steering wheel vibration, a chime, or off. I find it so annoying that mine is off most of the time.
Old 10-25-18, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Good review.
Thanks.

I'm really surprised you didn't like the ride and didn't think the car was that quiet. The one I drove rode very well and was very quiet...I wouldn't say at all it felt like an IS...
I was careful, in the review, more than once, to point out that my sample had the optional 45-series high-performance tires and 18" wheels, which firmed things up a bit and added some road noise. The base versions, and/or those with the standard 17" 55-series tires, should ride more like the former ES models.

Yes, that 4th Gen ES was a great riding car, but it was a total pig on any curvy road
Most of the intended ES customers, though, don't mind going around a corner saying "Oink". Until recently, the ES was not intended to be a sports sedan, and the vast majority of the people driving them simply are not into sports cars. Those who want canyon-carvers can get an IS or RC.

Old 10-25-18, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
As for the lane departure "rumbler", unless they have changed things from my 2016 RX, you have a choice of steering wheel vibration, a chime, or off. I find it so annoying that mine is off most of the time.
As long as "Off" is a choice, that's fine with me".

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350