Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Probably has to do with noise insulation too. I am sure that if you don't have fold-down rear seating, that you can get more sound deadening insulation back there. Also, to my knowledge, I don't think the ES has ever had a fold down rear seat? I know my 02 doesn't.
Could be. Strange the Avalon would have it though.
Old 10-25-18, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perpsnally speaking. The new ES seems to have a better interior design than the GS or new LS. Can’t believe how cramped the new LS feels compared to the outgoing one. Forget the back seats. GS has the best gauge cluster as the horns and design of the ES and LS are hard to get past.
When it comes to space efficiency I would agree. When it comes to overall quality and design, the new LS is beautiful in that regard. Great materials, great build quality, great seats, its a beautiful interior IMHO but I too find the reduction in space a big issue. The GS design is obviously older, but material quality is still better than the new ES.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So I take it that you took some trips to Beckley that weren't over I-81 or I-64? Agreed, get off the Interstates, and WV has some of the snakiest (and steepest) roads in the country, if not the highest. 50, 33, 250, 93...they are all more or less the same.
My 03 ES was all over the place, to WV many times, western MD, upstate NY. Even on 64 and 68 there are sharp curves and such and that generation of ES is just not up to that sort of driving.

Since you apparently drove a new 2019 with the standard 18" 55-series tires (and I didn't), I'll take your word for that part of it. To my tastes, I wasn't impressed with the 17" 45's....but, then, again, I like a Cush-Tush ride, and usually just take it easy in the corners.
You mean 19" 45s. Its a similar situation to the outgoing ES with the 17 and 18 inch options, the 18s pay a big ride penalty. I too like a "Cush tush" ride, but you have to be able to feel comfortable and confident driving the car in all conditions. I felt that way in my 2010 ES, and I'm sure I would also in the 19 ES but I did not in the 03 ES.

Could be. Strange the Avalon would have it though.
I don't think any Lexus sedan has a fold down trunk...not sure why.

The new LS doesn't even have a ski pass through, where the 430 and 460 did (400 did not).
Old 10-25-18, 05:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The current 3rd gen IS does. It remains Lexus's only sedan that has 60/40 split fold rear seats. I don't understand why the new LS and ES don't offer it. Clearly they've demonstrated they can do it.
Old 10-25-18, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The current 3rd gen IS does. It remains Lexus's only sedan that has 60/40 split fold rear seats. I don't understand why the new LS and ES don't offer it. Clearly they've demonstrated they can do it.
I don't think any flagship sedans have a fold down rear seat, but I would think it would be of value in the ES.
Old 10-25-18, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think this ES is just a massive improvement over the outgoing model. It’s not a car I’d buy for myself but I bet my wife would like it.
It's up to her, but my guess is that she would prefer the standard 17" wheels.
Old 10-25-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Dont remember. All I know, my father and I asked for the model that had noise reducing rims.
Quieter rims don't necessarily do much good if you have noisy tires. And, though there are exceptions, performance tires, as a group, tend to be noisier than average.
Old 10-25-18, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The new LS doesn't even have a ski pass through,
That's unbelievable. I briefly looked at a new LS500 when I was there, but didn't check on that. I'm not sure how to really comment on an 80K sedan without that feature.

I once owned a Mazda Protege sedan, costing in the low teens, that had that feature.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Quieter rims don't necessarily do much good if you have noisy tires. And, though there are exceptions, performance tires, as a group, tend to be noisier than average.
I'd be shocked if the ES you drove had performance tires. Just because they were 45 series tires doesn't mean they were performance tires, I'm sure they are Grand Touring tires.

That's unbelievable. I briefly looked at a new LS500 when I was there, but didn't check on that. I'm not sure how to really comment on an 80K sedan without that feature.
S Class doesn't have one either...
Old 10-25-18, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Do you think Lexus would put noisy tires on a car with noise reduction rims?
Old 10-25-18, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you think Lexus would put noisy tires on a car with noise reduction rims?
Lexus has done so for years. They make pretty terrible OEM tire choices.

The LS has had the noise reducing rims since 2013, but that didn't stop them from using the terrible Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires on it. I replaced them with literally 350 miles on the car and there was a huge reduction in road noise.

They use a mixture of tires, some pretty good Michelins if you get lucky, otherwise you get stuck with crappy Bridgestones or Dunlops.
Old 10-25-18, 06:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They use a mixture of tires, some pretty good Michelins if you get lucky, otherwise you get stuck with crappy Bridgestones or Dunlops.
The Lexus product guide states Bridgestone or Michelin. The only tires I have seen on the new ES in the Toronto area as well as Rochester are MXM4 for the F-sport and Energy for the ES350. Have not seen a set of Bridgestone.
Old 10-25-18, 06:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

It's up to her, but my guess is that she would prefer the standard 17" wheels.
She wouldn’t care. She’s fine with the 19” tires in our GS.
Old 10-25-18, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be shocked if the ES you drove had performance tires. Just because they were 45 series tires doesn't mean they were performance tires, I'm sure they are Grand Touring tires.

Hmmm......I'm not going to disagree with you, but this is a very interesting question (and you just might have something). I went back and carefully checked the web-site specs for the 2019 ES optional 18" wheel/tire package, and, as you correctly note, it does mention regular 45-series all-season tires.....not high-performance summer tires. Here's the web-site spec, copied directly:

WHEELS AND TIRES, AVAILABLE
18-in split-10-spoke alloy wheels with Dark Silver and machined finish and 235/45 R18 all-season tires*; 18-in split-five-spoke alloy noise-reduction wheels with high-gloss finish and 235/45 R18 all-season tires*

Yet, on my test car, which had that option (and I actually looked at the tire-markings on the car to make sure they were 45s, though they were obviously shorter than the taller 55s on the base cars), there was a small white placard stuck on the right-rear window advising that the tires on this case were considered performance tires, and that the tread would typically wear out in 20,000 or less. It's possible (though not likely) that this car had been retro-fitted with non-factory rubber. It's uncommon, sitting brand-new on a lot, but it does occasionally happen.

Case in point.....you remember Mike (1SICKLEX/LexFather), don't you? He helps manage an alloy-wheel company called Vossen (believe me, they make some nice stuff)......also has a separate forum now of his own, and goes by a different call-name. Several years ago, when I reviewed the Infiniti Q50 sedan (I deliberately chose a conventional-steer model, with mechanical linkage, because I had misgivings about the electronic Direct-Adaptive steering), one of the brand-new Q50s sitting on the lot had been retrofitted with a set of Vossen wheels/tires from Mike's company. It was not the one I chose to drive, but was apparently for sale, and was not spoken for by any specific customer. Perhaps something similar had happened with this ES I looked at, that it was special-ordered or retrofitted with non-standard rubber. Unfortunately, the tight-lipped salespeople often don't tell you these things unless you ask....I asked Mike himself about it at the time, but I don't remember what his answer was (and he obviously can't be expected to have every single order from his company in the back of his mind).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 07:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yet, on my test car, which had that option (and I actually looked at the tire-markings on the car to make sure they were 45s, though they were obviously shorter than the taller 55s on the base cars), there was a small white placard stuck on the right-rear window advising that the tires on this case were considered performance tires, and that the tread would typically wear out in 20,000 or less. It's possible (though not likely) that this car had been retro-fitted with non-factory rubber. It's uncommon, sitting brand-new on a lot, but it does occasionally happen.
).
I have definitely seen this on GS models in the USA. Never on a ES.
Old 10-25-18, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have definitely seen this on GS models in the USA. Never on a ES.
You're right, Jill...I've never seen true performance tires on an ES, either....at least brand new, unless some slammer has tried to customize it. Perhaps I should have asked about it. I didn't.....I just took the tire-placard sign on the car at its word. Wouldn't be the first mistake I've ever made. I'm not going to go back and redo the comments in the review, though, because it's a question I can't settle here, at my computer. I'm going to be out that way again in the near future, though (got a Audi review coming up).....perhaps I'll stop at the same Lexus shop and see if that car is still there, and have a close look at the tires again.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-18 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2019 Lexus ES350