Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default 2019 Audi A8

great tech review... and GREAT luxury features...

Old 10-12-18, 11:02 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

lexus, bring back touchscreens dammit
Old 10-13-18, 12:40 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Audi A8 is an amazing car. Its actually better than the current S-Class and 7 Series as of right now. However - with the next gen S-Class coming in the next 2 years. The A8's reign might not last long.
Old 10-13-18, 07:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

New A8 does absolutely nothing for me, it looks so dull, interior is just so plain and boring and the least interesting in the segment and seems needlessly annoying to use. A8's used to be my favorite flagship sedan, used to love their interiors. In some ways it does not even look very luxurious.
Old 10-13-18, 08:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love it, love the tech and the look....and you don't see a million of them driving around.
Old 10-13-18, 09:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I like it.
Old 10-13-18, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I like it. Glad to see touch screens.
Old 10-13-18, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
New A8 does absolutely nothing for me, it looks so dull, interior is just so plain and boring and the least interesting in the segment and seems needlessly annoying to use. A8's used to be my favorite flagship sedan, used to love their interiors. In some ways it does not even look very luxurious.
o r'ly?

Old 10-13-18, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I see what Udel is talking about. That picture above makes me think giant Passat, albeit with nicer materials.
Old 10-13-18, 11:25 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car. Would never buy one though.
Old 10-13-18, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great tech review... and GREAT luxury features...
Audi has done well-crafted interiors, sheet metal, and paint jobs for years, but, overall, dollar for dollar, I think your G90 is just as good or better car for less money. New A8s start at 84K....G90s at 68K. And the interior of the G90 is as impressively-done as any (past) A8 I've seen, with at least equally good materials....I haven't actually sat in the new 2019 A8, though, so my comment may be only partially true. You get a far better warranty with the Genesis.....Audi, like other German brands, warrants even the drivetrain for only 4/50. The main thing the A8 really gives you, in comparison, is the well-proven Quattro AWD system and the panache of the Audi nameplate, for brand-snobs. And even the recent Quattro systems aren't like the older ones. The older ones had full-time AWD with a constant or variable torque-distribution.....the latest ones are essentially AWD only on demand, with the two primary drive-wheels getting most of the action until they start to slip.

To make it clear, I'm not trying to diss the A8 by any means...it is indeed an impressive car, but I just don't think it is worth 16K or more than a G90.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-13-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 05:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I see what Udel is talking about. That picture above makes me think giant Passat, albeit with nicer materials.
me too. I think of Audi as the Lincoln of German cars.

it has near-FWD proportions, and gives off the same vibe as the Lincoln continental.

o r'ly?

rly.

Old 10-13-18, 06:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You can argue the same for BMW 7 Series. It looks dull and like an oversized 5 Series.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Audi has done well-crafted interiors, sheet metal, and paint jobs for years, but, overall, dollar for dollar, I think your G90 is just as good or better car for less money. New A8s start at 84K....G90s at 68K. And the interior of the G90 is as impressively-done as any (past) A8 I've seen, with at least equally good materials....I haven't actually sat in the new 2019 A8, though, so my comment may be only partially true. You get a far better warranty with the Genesis.....Audi, like other German brands, warrants even the drivetrain for only 4/50. The main thing the A8 really gives you, in comparison, is the well-proven Quattro AWD system and the panache of the Audi nameplate, for brand-snobs. And even the recent Quattro systems aren't like the older ones. The older ones had full-time AWD with a constant or variable torque-distribution.....the latest ones are essentially AWD only on demand, with the two primary drive-wheels getting most of the action until they start to slip.

To make it clear, I'm not trying to diss the A8 by any means...it is indeed an impressive car, but I just don't think it is worth 16K or more than a G90.
I haven't spent too much time with the G90 but the Audi A8 is a nerd fest with tech. It has more tech than the G90.

While the price of it being 16K more than the G90 is debatable, the A8 does have better interior design and tech, in my opinion.
Old 10-13-18, 08:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

o r'ly?

Looks like a big VW Passat.
Old 10-13-18, 08:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
You can argue the same for BMW 7 Series. It looks dull and like an oversized 5 Series.

I haven't spent too much time with the G90 but the Audi A8 is a nerd fest with tech. It has more tech than the G90.

While the price of it being 16K more than the G90 is debatable, the A8 does have better interior design and tech, in my opinion.
I am not a fan of the 7 series inside or out, I like the Alpina versions, I think the 7 series is the best looking BMW sedan aside from the 6 series Grancoupe though, I always thought the larger Merc, BMW, and Audi's looked the best. I would take a G90 anyday over the new A8, if you like using a annoying touchscreen for just about every function and hate buttons and switches then maybe you will like the A8 interior more, I again would much prefer the buttons from a G90 which are quick and intuitive and makes the interior more interesting and look nicer in my opinion. I loved the previous generation A8's, would have gotten one if they did not have so many issues, like it much more so then the 7 series or S class but the new S class brought it with the exterior and interior this time and is the best in my opinion.

Quick Reply: 2019 Audi A8