Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Based off my experiences from what I see: when my dad gets invited to huge developer parties and funding parties, there are quite a bit of people getting chauffeured in S-Classes/some A8s.
Those are car services that are being hired to drive people around for that specific event. Those people don’t own S classes themselves and employ drivers to drive them around. That’s not a common thing in the US, it is in places like China, or India, but not here.

99% of flagship luxury cars bought are driven by the people who buy them.
Old 10-25-18, 12:58 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those are car services that are being hired to drive people around for that specific event. Those people don’t own S classes themselves and employ drivers to drive them around. That’s not a common thing in the US, it is in places like China, or India, but not here.

99% of flagship luxury cars bought are driven by the people who buy them.
While that maybe true that some of those S-Classes or high-end cars could be hired by car services, I have trouble believing "99%" of buyers with these vehicles drive it themselves. Especially when these cars are specifically created to be driven in.
Old 10-25-18, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

While that maybe true that some of those S-Classes or high-end cars could be hired by car services, I have trouble believing "99%" of buyers with these vehicles drive it themselves. Especially when these cars are specifically created to be driven in.
Look around you on the road at S Classes and A8s, look for people being driven.

I know LOTS of very wealthy people, lots of people who have big sedans like this also and I don't know one person who has a driver. I have one...I don't have a driver.

Being chauffeured in the US on a regular basis is a very rare thing.

Need a source? Read #4:

https://www.motor1.com/features/1836...s-benz-sclass/

4. U.S. Customers Like To Drive
Mercedes doesn’t have a lot of direct data on how many S-Class owners drive for themselves versus have a chauffeur, but it uses the Executive Rear Seating package as a good indicator – why would you pay for the fancy back seats if you weren’t going to sit back there? About 10 percent of S-Class buyers opt for that pack, and around 30 percent of Maybach shoppers do. Mercedes officials say you can probably extrapolate those numbers to estimate whether the cars are owner- or chauffeur-driven.
If you were talking about a Maybach S Class or a Rolls Royce that would be a different thing. But an ordinary S Class? people in the US aren't buying them to be driven in.
Old 10-25-18, 11:23 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Look around you on the road at S Classes and A8s, look for people being driven.

I know LOTS of very wealthy people, lots of people who have big sedans like this also and I don't know one person who has a driver. I have one...I don't have a driver.

Being chauffeured in the US on a regular basis is a very rare thing.

Need a source? Read #4:

https://www.motor1.com/features/1836...s-benz-sclass/

If you were talking about a Maybach S Class or a Rolls Royce that would be a different thing. But an ordinary S Class? people in the US aren't buying them to be driven in.
I don't doubt you know lots of wealthy people because I know the sector you work in. I know you invest as well.

But - I do have to point out personal experiences with people that have drivers or not shouldn't be taken into consideration of how the masses behave.
Like you, out of all my contacts, I probably know less than a hand-full of people that have drivers. Majority of people I know drive their own fancy car themselves as well.

I just personally think, or rather have trouble believing, that so little people have drivers. Thought there would be more.
Old 10-26-18, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But - I do have to point out personal experiences with people that have drivers or not shouldn't be taken into consideration of how the masses behave.
Like you, out of all my contacts, I probably know less than a hand-full of people that have drivers. Majority of people I know drive their own fancy car themselves as well.

I just personally think, or rather have trouble believing, that so little people have drivers. Thought there would be more.
I truly don't know one person who has a driver.