Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
This. 540i is a more grown up, adult car. Guess it depends on driver age and whether or not he has clients in his car.
ah, the prestige, establishment, disdain-condescension-for-disruptors-to-tradition argument.

when i take out clients in my g90 they never know what it is at first, but all give thumbs up, wows, cannot believe how much room and comfort in the back, etc.
Old 10-23-18, 07:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I get the "more grown up, adult car" comment. I view my GS as more of an "adult" car than I did my IS. In fact, when I bought my IS, I looked at the GS too but felt that the GS seemed like more of a mature person's car, and that pushed me to the IS. After a couple years with the IS, I decided to switch for the GS and have no regrets.

So to me, the Stinger feels a bit more raw, on the edge, and younger. I just think it's a stunningly gorgeous car. Love the lines. And I was very impressed with the interior, features, and the power/handling. Not really worried what other people think. Or maybe I'm just heading for a midlife crisis, denying that I am in my 40s. Perhaps it'll be my GS, then the Stinger, then a Corvette...
Old 10-23-18, 12:25 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I get the "more grown up, adult car" comment. I view my GS as more of an "adult" car than I did my IS. In fact, when I bought my IS, I looked at the GS too but felt that the GS seemed like more of a mature person's car, and that pushed me to the IS. After a couple years with the IS, I decided to switch for the GS and have no regrets.

So to me, the Stinger feels a bit more raw, on the edge, and younger. I just think it's a stunningly gorgeous car. Love the lines. And I was very impressed with the interior, features, and the power/handling. Not really worried what other people think. Or maybe I'm just heading for a midlife crisis, denying that I am in my 40s. Perhaps it'll be my GS, then the Stinger, then a Corvette...
Eff that noise. Buy what you feel is right for you.

I'm still a young consumer but I really hate the term "grown up car" or "mid-life crisis" car. Seriously - the reason majority of old people drive expensive nice sports car is not because they are having an issue with their age. But because it takes majority of people to that specific age to make enough money to get those cars.
IE: Raising kids and putting them through college isn't cheap. That is at least a couple of BMW M3s and AMG C63s out the window already.
Old 10-29-18, 12:52 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I went to test drive Stinger GT2 today, man, it is hard for me to move from GS, because GS drive quality and interior way better even though it almost 6 years old (at 93k miles).

Also the dealers don't have the White and black interior I want (the whole DFW area). Definitely I have to wait for MY19.
​​
Old 10-29-18, 01:56 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just throwing another option out here. If you can deal with the Cue system, the CTS-Vsport is an excellent car. It drives like a faster GS350 Fsport. Great steering feedback, 420 hp turbo motor, magnetic suspension. Seriously underrated drivers sedan. Downside is older tech and Cue display.

The new Volvo S60 is a great looking mid size sedan with several powerplant options worth looking at as well.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 10-29-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 11:29 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Just throwing another option out here. If you can deal with the Cue system, the CTS-Vsport is an excellent car. It drives like a faster GS350 Fsport. Great steering feedback, 420 hp turbo motor, magnetic suspension. Seriously underrated drivers sedan. Downside is older tech and Cue display.

The new Volvo S60 is a great looking mid size sedan with several powerplant options worth looking at as well.
The downside is the poor reliability of both Cadillac and Volvo. Rated even lower than Mercedes in the latest CR statistics.
Old 11-21-18, 04:53 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

I always thought I would get the is too and then when it came to it I found I had grown out of that size car and the gs wasn’t too big anymore. Not sure I could go back to something more raw anymore. Maybe see if they can loan you the car for a day? When I was first looking around the Lexus dealership wanted to loan me the car for a day to get me to buy it and I know if I took it I would have ended up getting it much sooner. Im bummed I got the gs at the end of its life but I’m not super excited about any current cars but then again I haven’t gone out and test driven them all. If you’re planning on leasing again then maybe just go for the stinger and enjoy it for 2-3 years and wait for the market to change a bit?
Old 11-22-18, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Got it. Heck of a thread on that forum and even better fix! Drove around yesterday trying to hear any rattles or ticking and I can happily say I have not heard anything out of the ordinary. Saying I have a flawless build is a little much but, I have about 5k less miles than you and a newer build so will revisit this in a few months and really see how "flawless" the car is.

I would assume your November 17 build is one of the first few thousand cars built?
Yep, mine is among the first few thousand built but not sure the numbers. I'm at 14k km (9k miles) and I do really like the Stinger still and I'm glad to see yours is holding up which you're either super lucky or perhaps Kia legitimately addressed these minor quality issues.

On a related note, a recent recall issued for builds before June 8th for risk of fire . I think you said yours was a May build?

https://driving.ca/kia/auto-news/new...s-of-fire-risk
Old 11-22-18, 10:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea, something about some wiring under the hood and it rubbing up on a fender may cause a fire. Haven't seen a letter come in yet, but was told that will happen some time next month.

I'm at 5k miles. Only issue, if you want to call it that are my headlights are dipped far too low from factory. A common problem I've read on the forums. Super quick fix with a Philips head to readjust.

I haven't really dove in to see how the 2019's are holding up, but fron my perspective, I'm still mighty happy. First oil change next week.

My parents neighbor bought one last month after seeing mine, in your color. Looks really good in the dark grey!

Last edited by GFerg; 11-22-18 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 10:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

It's so crazy, because of this thread, im waiting for a rattle! When I do hear something I go check it out.... Nope! Just something rolling around in the trunk. Or last week when I was certain I had a front passenger door rattle, nope! Just a receipt that got caught under the front seat that just so happens to perfectly lay right on top of the subwoofer.
Old 11-23-18, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baconRx

I always thought I would get the is too and then when it came to it I found I had grown out of that size car and the gs wasn’t too big anymore. Not sure I could go back to something more raw anymore. Maybe see if they can loan you the car for a day? When I was first looking around the Lexus dealership wanted to loan me the car for a day to get me to buy it and I know if I took it I would have ended up getting it much sooner. Im bummed I got the gs at the end of its life but I’m not super excited about any current cars but then again I haven’t gone out and test driven them all. If you’re planning on leasing again then maybe just go for the stinger and enjoy it for 2-3 years and wait for the market to change a bit?
Thanks for the suggestion on an overnight loan.

I haven't decided about leasing versus buying it. I always lease and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it, but Kia really offers the best cash rebates on their leases, so I'll probably lease it then decide about buying it out a short time later.
Old 11-23-18, 07:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I went ahead and paid for my license tabs on the GS. Luckily they went down a touch this year, to $575 so that was a nice surprise.

So where am I at now that I have "bought" myself a little more time with the GS?

Still researching...

The Stinger is still at the top of the list and I struggle to come up with other cars that I find as attractive.

I have begun looking at lightly used GS Fs. Not crazy about giving up AWD but all it really means is that we will always take the Highlander when we head to the mountains, whereas now we often take the GS. Also bummed that you lose certain features, like the heated steering wheel but I could deal. The 16s are coming off their leases so there are some good ones out there though I'd prefer to spring for a 17 to get the adaptive suspension. I don't want to pay full price for a new one.

I've also considered the outgoing 340i, as it's available with a manual, which I would love to have again. For obvious reasons, that's a tough find, inventory wise. I almost bought one back in 2011 but was put off by the dealer experience, but I could go check them out and give them another chance.

I have tried and tried to get on board with any Audi but they just don't get me excited. And I also struggle to like any current Mercedes sedan.

I may go to my Lexus dealer and drive another GS350 with the latest updates, but they typically have no more than 1 or 2 on hand, and often not even that. I am concerned it'll feel like I am just paying more for my exact same car and I really want a different engine choice. As much as I love the car, I'm craving more power and the 5 hp increase over mine isn't going to do it.

So the current priorities are a 4 door capable of carrying my family, solid handling, more power than my GS, and with the latest safety tech.
Old 11-23-18, 07:53 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

So the current priorities are a 4 door capable of carrying my family, solid handling, more power than my GS, and with the latest safety tech.
Hmmm - sounds like a Kia Stinger! LOL
Old 02-02-19, 06:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Thank you all for your input.

I have an update.

As the time drew nearer to part with my GS, it became more and more clear that I just couldn't do it. I've owned quite a few cars and the GS is the first car I have not been ready to give up at lease end. Unfortunately, as noted previously, the value proposition (negative equity) just didn't support buying it out.

So last night I went ahead and traded my 2015 GS for a 2019 GS. Like the 15, the new one is an AWD F Sport with Mark Levinson. The 19 has some extras I am not used to, like the latest safety suite with all-speed radar cruise, LKA, PCS, etc. The new one also has the power trunk (honestly seems a bit silly), HUD (awesome!), triple LED headlights, and the cold weather package.

I did purchase the 19, rather than lease it, as I didn't want to end up in the same spot a few years down the road. This one will be long term. In the 3+ years and 22k miles, my 15 never had so much as a squeak, rattle, or any other warranty repair, so I am hopeful that I will have the same experience with the 19.

I never like to get a car at the end of it's model run, but I am still concerned there won't be a 2020 GS and I am plenty happy with this one. I did ask my salesman (I've used him many times) and he said they are anxiously awaiting news on what's next for the GS, as the dealers haven't been told anything (no surprise). He said he has a very loyal group of GS customers so he is hopeful that the GS lives on. He said that, despite it being a low volume model and near the end of its cycle, they never have a hard time selling the ones they have. They had 4 in stock, by the way. All AWD F Sports. Well, now they have 3 in stock...

Anyway, thanks all for your valuable input!

Jeff
Old 02-02-19, 06:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Photos. Replaced atomic silver with smokey granite mica.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement