Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 12:57 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Yeah, my build is Nov 2017 and save for the seized console lid, the (minor) issues I got were experienced within the first few months. It's just that there are many added up...

P.S. I showed the video to my Kia Service Manager and he ordered a new lid. Impressed with him as I didn't even have to bring in the car. Getting it (and new radio heat unit) installed on Monday.

Recap of issues:
- Rear hatch rattle
- Squeaky/loose paddle shifters
- Dust specs under clearcoat
- Door misalignment
- Unglued rubber seals
- Door ticking B-pillar
- Burnt left adaptive headlamp
- Premature Nappa leather color wear
- Erratic FM radio volume
- Door panel rattle
- Jammed console sliding lid

So your May build has not a single one of these issues? If none, this is quite impressive on Kia's part fixing them in the manufacturing process.
I actually want to take time to commend you for being super transparent about your KIA Stinger.

I know I'm not personally looking for one but its refreshing to see people honest about their own cars. If you ever visit the Stinger forums, they are pretty bias over there. Some people claim KIA Stinger has extremely good build quality. I'm not trying to knock on the KIA Stinger because I love that car. Ever since I test drove it, I love it.
But we just have to admit, for KIA to price it lower than the competition (and the pricing for the Stinger is sweeter than honey ), they would have to cut cost at some places. Sadly - build quality and materials is the first to go.
Old 10-21-18, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks. If we're not transparent with our ownership experiences, what's the point of spending our time here - the entire car forum concept would fail.

Started this thread there several months back to gauge the quality: https://stingerforum.org/threads/pol...-quality.3713/

We'll see over time how the build improves as we have started to see from GFerg's ownership, but I agree, Lexus (i.e. the IS in this price) has the edge in solidity/build quality from my experience, better than also the A4 I also owned.
Old 10-21-18, 09:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Recap of issues:
- Rear hatch rattle
- Squeaky/loose paddle shifters
- Dust specs under clearcoat
- Door misalignment
- Unglued rubber seals
- Door ticking B-pillar
- Burnt left adaptive headlamp
- Premature Nappa leather color wear
- Erratic FM radio volume
- Door panel rattle
- Jammed console sliding lid
Seems like a lot of issues. Hopefully the powertrain holds up well.

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I actually want to take time to commend you for being super transparent about your KIA Stinger.

I know I'm not personally looking for one but its refreshing to see people honest about their own cars.
100% agree.
Old 10-21-18, 06:20 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
To be clear, when I say “I bought a $52k Toyota” I’m referring to my Highlander, not a Lexus. And that Highlander was sold between $85k Land Cruisers and the cheap Yaris.
You paid $52k for the Highlander? Sorry dude but you got ripped off. I paid $42k OTD for my 2016 LImited Platinum.
Old 10-21-18, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
You paid $52k for the Highlander? Sorry dude but you got ripped off. I paid $42k OTD for my 2016 LImited Platinum.

You can't claim that someone got ripped off without knowing more about the specifics of the deal. Highlander Hybrid Platinums can easily run over 50K with options and packages.
Old 10-21-18, 07:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. If we're not transparent with our ownership experiences, what's the point of spending our time here - the entire car forum concept would fail.

Started this thread there several months back to gauge the quality: https://stingerforum.org/threads/pol...-quality.3713/

We'll see over time how the build improves as we have started to see from GFerg's ownership, but I agree, Lexus (i.e. the IS in this price) has the edge in solidity/build quality from my experience, better than also the A4 I also owned.
There's an owner of a pearl white Stinger at my workplace. Older guy who parks it with great pride. His Stinger gets a lot of attention from the younger crowd, so you know that it's got a sporty attention grabbing profile. He's very pleased with it. Haven't heard any quality control issues from him, but that's not to say he won't have any. No Lexii here, mostly Dodge Rams and Jeeps and the usual assortment of Fords GMs etc.
Old 10-21-18, 10:35 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Nah. No need to be saying thank to me. We should be thanking you solely. We need more transparent car enthusiast in this world. I guess - I have ran into too many people that are super proud of their car to refuse fault. I mean - its totally 100% fine to love your car but we have to admit specific areas. This is the only way car companies will listen and actually improve their products for us.

Definitely. Agreed. The Lexus IS has solid build quality from my experience as well. My cousin owns a B9 Audi A4 and as well as my friend. From the times I spend in the car and from what they say about it, it seems that B9 A4 have pretty good build quality as well. I would say the B9 Audi A4 build quality matches 3G Lexus IS. Reliability - probably not though.
Old 10-22-18, 06:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I didn't say I paid $52k. MSRP was $52k. I received a discount, though it was the toughest negotiation I've ever had. Sorry if my choice of words led to any confusion on the matter.

Last edited by JDR76; 10-22-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

MM: Nothing jammed in the lid. Pre-mature wear of the tracks and hence friction...

The door ticking is a ticking sound while driving. Driver's door moves ever so slightly up/down vertically making the plastic door frame trim tick. I fixed it myself by 1. adding felt underneath the trim so the plastic doesn't tick against the metal door frame and 2. adjusting the door jamb to make the door latched on tighter. https://stingerforum.org/threads/doo...mination.3475/

Rubber seals popping out a bit at the base of the rear glass/trunk lid and around the gloss black corner piece on the front doors adjacent to the mirrors.
Got it. Heck of a thread on that forum and even better fix! Drove around yesterday trying to hear any rattles or ticking and I can happily say I have not heard anything out of the ordinary. Saying I have a flawless build is a little much but, I have about 5k less miles than you and a newer build so will revisit this in a few months and really see how "flawless" the car is.

I would assume your November 17 build is one of the first few thousand cars built?

Last edited by GFerg; 10-22-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Got it. Heck of a thread on that forum and even better fix! Drove around yesterday trying to hear any rattles or ticking and I can happily say I have not heard anything out of the ordinary. I have about 5k less miles than you and a newer build so will revisit this in a few months.
I was out of town yesterday for a running relay. A gorgeous red Stinger GT pulled up at one of the exchange points so of course I flew right over to talk to the owners. They said that they absolutely love it, though I didn't ask how long they have had it.
Old 10-22-18, 07:06 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I was out of town yesterday for a running relay. A gorgeous red Stinger GT pulled up at one of the exchange points so of course I flew right over to talk to the owners. They said that they absolutely love it, though I didn't ask how long they have had it.
Haha, that's awesome. Agreed on the color selection and the Red. So many vibrant colors available stock. Only wish the showcar Orange and the Dark Blue that's available outside of North America we're available here.
Old 10-22-18, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
Haha, that's awesome. Agreed on the color selection and the Red. So many vibrant colors available stock. Only wish the showcar Orange and the Dark Blue that's available outside of North America we're available here.
If the orange was available here, I'd be all over it.
Old 10-22-18, 08:31 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You can get great lease deal on 540i.
Much better overall package than the Kia imo.

Genesis G80 are nice also but lease programs are not good last time i looked.
This. 540i is a more grown up, adult car. Guess it depends on driver age and whether or not he has clients in his car.
Old 10-22-18, 10:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

This. 540i is a more grown up, adult car. Guess it depends on driver age and whether or not he has clients in his car.
As mentioned up thread, I am not interested in the 540i, but thanks. They are very pretty cars, though.

And for the record, I am 41. No clients in the car.
Old 10-22-18, 01:43 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
Its more "grown up" because its a BMW?

I never understood this context... What makes a car "grown up"? At the end of the day, you buy the car for you to drive and for you to enjoy. Not for people to think you have grown up.

I mean - I guess all them owner folks in Lamborghinis aren't grown up either.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement