Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mercedes GLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 07:39 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't get how the same company can create this, pretty handsome, suv, while at the same time, the horrible EQC
Old 09-12-18, 08:41 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Did anyone notice that it's now a 7-seater?
Old 09-12-18, 09:43 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

^^ Yes, I wrote that in the first post lol. Great way to combat the RXL
Old 09-12-18, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Pleasant exterior styling, with some odd touches. Fake air intakes on the front bumper. It doesn't look like they even tried to make them look like intakes. Weak effort.
Tires are too wide and look related to a 70's conversion van with T/A radials from CHiPs.
That is the first MBZ dash that actually does not look like an imposing block wall. A step in the right direction. But why add a Chevy bowtie emblem on the steering wheel? Tacky.
This will sell well, but overall it is nothing super special from a design perspective. Any SUV could have had this body shape and greenhouse structure.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 09-12-18 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 11:41 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
The interior quality on the new models it class leading. Very little plastic you can touch in them now. Even my C43 has metal buttons now.
I was specifically referring to the design details - not really the quality of the MB cars. I'm not a fan of the MBUX system or the tablet just stuck on there like an afterthought. Its my personal preference and it looks cheap, in my opinion. But it doesn't mean I think its ugly. The interior is pretty.

Secondly - I'm assuming you are talking about the pre-refresh W205 C43 AMG. As the 2019s are not here yet and mine is still on order que. That being said, while I do have a C43 AMG on order and I love the C43 AMG sound/performance, the interior quality is not good (definitely not class-leading.) I give this to the Audi A4 and S4.
The MB W205 interior feels cheaply made in some areas.
1) The wood trim side panels on the door. Push them, they bend a bit. They scratch easy too.
2) The center console cup holder case. It feels cheap. It doesn't open smoothly and feels janky at times. My friend's Acura TSX cup holder closer felt more solid.
3) The rear mirror makes noises when moving.
4) The center dash in the ceiling where the moonroof controllers are. That thing pushes into the roof itself if you press it. It don't feel solid and feels like its tacked on.
This is my experience with 2 different W205 C-Classes. I had a brand new one as a Turo rental for vacation and my friends C43 AMG.

There is a couple of other things too but it would just make this comment long. Look - I love MB and I have one on order. But lets call out a duck, when its a duck. While MB interiors are pretty - they aren't solidly made. I think Audi and the Japanese have the best interior quality in terms of how solid something is built.
Old 09-13-18, 06:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Styling is very plain.

Surprised to see 4cyl turbo as the base engine especially since X5 has turbo 6.

exterior looks from 2000's... very hard to understand why they made it look so old and plain.
Old 09-13-18, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
exterior looks from 2000's... very hard to understand why they made it look so old and plain.
because it sells? audi and bmw suvs are actually pretty plain outside too.
Old 09-13-18, 06:59 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Yawn, another Luxury SUV that pays the bills for the development of the Mercedes AMG GT. They did a fine job on the interior. Not sure about the headlights design.
Old 09-13-18, 09:13 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I was specifically referring to the design details - not really the quality of the MB cars. I'm not a fan of the MBUX system or the tablet just stuck on there like an afterthought. Its my personal preference and it looks cheap, in my opinion. But it doesn't mean I think its ugly. The interior is pretty.

Secondly - I'm assuming you are talking about the pre-refresh W205 C43 AMG. As the 2019s are not here yet and mine is still on order que. That being said, while I do have a C43 AMG on order and I love the C43 AMG sound/performance, the interior quality is not good (definitely not class-leading.) I give this to the Audi A4 and S4.
The MB W205 interior feels cheaply made in some areas.
1) The wood trim side panels on the door. Push them, they bend a bit. They scratch easy too.
2) The center console cup holder case. It feels cheap. It doesn't open smoothly and feels janky at times. My friend's Acura TSX cup holder closer felt more solid.
3) The rear mirror makes noises when moving.
4) The center dash in the ceiling where the moonroof controllers are. That thing pushes into the roof itself if you press it. It don't feel solid and feels like its tacked on.
This is my experience with 2 different W205 C-Classes. I had a brand new one as a Turo rental for vacation and my friends C43 AMG.

There is a couple of other things too but it would just make this comment long. Look - I love MB and I have one on order. But lets call out a duck, when its a duck. While MB interiors are pretty - they aren't solidly made. I think Audi and the Japanese have the best interior quality in terms of how solid something is built.
I haven’t had any of the issues you described, not one. I also have the stitched dash, upgraded leather, and I had the dealership switch my wood door trim for aluminum and the center stack is now black ash wood.

Maybe I am biased bc I have every interior upgrade. I had a dash vibration when I picked the car up. Dealer fixed it, zero issues since then. I’m jealous of the steering wheel on the 2019 model, it looks amazing!
Old 09-13-18, 09:15 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Pleasant exterior styling, with some odd touches. Fake air intakes on the front bumper. It doesn't look like they even tried to make them look like intakes. Weak effort.
Tires are too wide and look related to a 70's conversion van with T/A radials from CHiPs.
That is the first MBZ dash that actually does not look like an imposing block wall. A step in the right direction. But why add a Chevy bowtie emblem on the steering wheel? Tacky.
This will sell well, but overall it is nothing super special from a design perspective. Any SUV could have had this body shape and greenhouse structure.
Are you really complaining about beefy tires on an SUV? It is an sport utility vehicle. They are supposed to have big tires. Save the skinny tires for the crosssover market.
Old 09-13-18, 09:37 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
The badge and marketing is what sells MB and BMW most of the time. There is a reason why people think the G Wagon is great. If the G Wagon was made by a Japanese luxury company, say Lexus, it would get insulted and laughed at. The power of the badge is greater than we all think.

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
I haven’t had any of the issues you described, not one. I also have the stitched dash, upgraded leather, and I had the dealership switch my wood door trim for aluminum and the center stack is now black ash wood.

Maybe I am biased bc I have every interior upgrade. I had a dash vibration when I picked the car up. Dealer fixed it, zero issues since then. I’m jealous of the steering wheel on the 2019 model, it looks amazing!
The stitched dash and upgraded leather has nothing to do with the things I mentioned.

The fact is - MB build quality for the interior isn't solid. While its not the worst in the business, its definitely not class-leading or good.

Here's one example:

The center stack creaks and doesn't feel solid. Similar to the door panels, rear view mirror and upper center moonroof controls. There are more of these issues too. Like I said earlier, my friend's old Acura TSX from 2007 doesn't even have these issues. Its horrible that MB legit gets away with these because of brand. This is coming from a future C43 AMG owner - we just have to own it up. We are buying the car for performance and brand - not the quality.

These glaring issue doesn't go away until you reach probably the S-Class level or the AMGs from Germany.
Old 09-13-18, 09:42 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

^^ if you get the upgraded interior where that is all wood trim, I suspect it doesn't make any noise. I haven't noticed that at all in my sisters W205. But if that video is real, I cannot defend MB as I made the same video of the Chevy Malibu last week. Lol

Last edited by RXSF; 09-13-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 09:43 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by highrev6
Yawn, another Luxury SUV that pays the bills for the development of the Mercedes AMG GT. They did a fine job on the interior. Not sure about the headlights design.
Headlights I feel is going to look good in person. It makes sense though since this is an "E" based vehicle with the two eyebrows. I originally thought they looked funky on the E too but they've grown on me. Im pretty sure the GLS is going to debut with the three eyebrows.
Old 09-13-18, 10:01 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ if you get the upgraded interior where that is all wood trim, I suspect it doesn't make any noise. I haven't noticed that at all in my sisters W205. But if that video is real, I cannot defend MB as I made the same video of the Chevy Malibu last week. Lol
It happens on the wood trim too. I had a fully loaded C300 with wood trim (I believe it was the natural grain brown ash wood) as a Turo rental. It made the same sounds and squeaks too. The cup holder was the most jankiness cup holder I ever used in a car as well. This is very real - not sure why it would be fake. I'm not trying to hate on MB. I'm just calling it out because I want to be objective and call it as it is.

The problem here is - a lot of the average owners won't go around and push their cars to see if its build solid. When I was at the MB SF ordering my C43 AMG, I was the only dude in the whole dealership sitting in cars and actually pushing the crap out of everything. I still ordered my C43 AMG knowing the interior will be made poorly because I got a good deal (dad knows MB SF owner) and the performance is just too good to pass up for the money.
Old 09-13-18, 10:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Drab and boring inside and out. If this was a Lexus it would be roasted on this forum.

Quick Reply: 2019 Mercedes GLE