Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Mercedes GLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because it sells? audi and bmw suvs are actually pretty plain outside too.
Agreed, generally they are 'safe' designs, that age well.

I do get an early 2000's ML vibe from it (which I like).
Old 09-13-18, 11:14 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Drab and boring inside and out. If this was a Lexus it would be roasted on this forum.
Lexus2000 +1. Thank you so much for this.

This is what I was saying or implying in my earlier post. Mercedes Benz and BMW get away with very generic and boring designs but they'll get called "amazing" or "revolutionary." Can't get this kind of treatment for a Japanese car.
Old 09-13-18, 11:25 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Lexus2000 +1. Thank you so much for this.

This is what I was saying or implying in my earlier post. Mercedes Benz and BMW get away with very generic and boring designs but they'll get called "amazing" or "revolutionary." Can't get this kind of treatment for a Japanese car.
Perception and pedigree, tend to give the nod to European cars vs Japanese, American, Korean etc..

I don't think it's anything the latter's can shake.
Old 09-13-18, 12:06 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It happens on the wood trim too. I had a fully loaded C300 with wood trim (I believe it was the natural grain brown ash wood) as a Turo rental. It made the same sounds and squeaks too. The cup holder was the most jankiness cup holder I ever used in a car as well. This is very real - not sure why it would be fake. I'm not trying to hate on MB. I'm just calling it out because I want to be objective and call it as it is.

The problem here is - a lot of the average owners won't go around and push their cars to see if its build solid. When I was at the MB SF ordering my C43 AMG, I was the only dude in the whole dealership sitting in cars and actually pushing the crap out of everything. I still ordered my C43 AMG knowing the interior will be made poorly because I got a good deal (dad knows MB SF owner) and the performance is just too good to pass up for the money.
I was talking about the materials in the cabin, not the interior build quality. I don’t drive enough different brands to accurately judge the interior build quality of MB vs others.

If you plan on modding your car at all, shoot me a pm. I’m beta testing the JB4 tune right now, but know plenty of guys running full tunes as well.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 09-13-18 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 12:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Perception and pedigree, tend to give the nod to European cars vs Japanese, American, Korean etc..

I don't think it's anything the latter's can shake.
I feel like, for the new MB/BMW cars, its more perception than pedigree. The older German cars were great. Specifically, BMW, they stayed true to their M performance and made good cars. The E46/E92 BMW M3 was a beautiful thing. Then the F30 came along and was just an expensive show-off car. The driving factor was almost gone.

I feel like, within the German car community, there is so much bias that they are top - people forget that this affects the future of the brand. If you don't judge or demand things because you have a perception is good, they'll never change. This is why the F30 3 Series ended being one of the worst 3 Series BMW ever made. BMW just got lazy and wanted to mass feed people their brand rather than making a good car.

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
I was talking about the materials in the cabin, not the interior build quality. I don’t drive enough different brands to accurately judge the interior build quality of MB vs others.
If you plan on modding your car at all, shoot me a pm. I’m beta testing the JB4 tune right now, but know plenty of guys running full tunes as well.
Fair enough. For actual materials themselves, they are indeed pretty good - if we are talking about specific switches and such. But the build quality itself, seems to be lacking.

Thinking about it for sure. I haven't really decided what I really want to do. But I have been watching tune videos lately. xD

Last edited by BippuLexus; 09-13-18 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 12:42 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

I feel like, for the new MB/BMW cars, its more perception than pedigree. The older German cars were great. Specifically, BMW, they stayed true to their M performance and made good cars. The E46/E92 BMW M3 was a beautiful thing. Then the F30 came along and was just an expensive show-off car. The driving factor was almost gone.

I feel like, within the German car community, there is so much bias that they are top - people forget that this affects the future of the brand. If you don't judge or demand things because you have a perception is good, they'll never change. This is why the F30 3 Series ended being one of the worst 3 Series BMW ever made. BMW just got lazy and wanted to mass feed people their brand rather than making a good car.

Fair enough. For actual materials themselves, they are indeed pretty good - if we are talking about specific switches and such. But the build quality itself, seems to be lacking.

Thinking about it for sure. I haven't really decided what I really want to do. But I have been watching tune videos lately. xD
The 43 motor and transmission are way overbuilt. There is a guy in my group chat running 28 psi on his. They make 12 psi stock.

In short on tunes for the 43: full tune makes the most power, but also voids your engine warranty (crack open ECU case) and the “flash” has to be added again for about $100 if the dealer updates the car. The best full tune is from EuroCharged. They are running low 11s in the quarter mile with 0-60 in the low 3s.

Piggyback tunes like JB4, VR, and RaceChip are hard for MB to detect, so pretty good chance your warranty is fine. Most memebers haven’t had any issues. The JB4 is the fastest piggyback and the most customizable. I can run a stock tune or add 8 psi while driving with the JB4 which is really nice. Fastest JB4 tune is an 11.6 in the quarter mile currently.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 09-13-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because it sells? audi and bmw suvs are actually pretty plain outside too.
when it comes to MB, everything since current S class was really designed to look premium and interesting... this looks like an facelift on a car from 2000's.... I mean even the rear lights look Japanese.
Compare that to S, C, E, GLE Coupe, let alone any of the real coups... it is almost like Chinese copy of MB design.
Old 09-13-18, 03:21 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spwolf
when it comes to MB, everything since current S class was really designed to look premium and interesting... this looks like an facelift on a car from 2000's.... I mean even the rear lights look Japanese.
Compare that to S, C, E, GLE Coupe, let alone any of the real coups... it is almost like Chinese copy of MB design.
The new GLE taillights mimic the CLS taillights. The GLE with the base motor isn’t supposed to be the most exciting SUV. It is meant to be understated and appealing to all age groups. The last GLE wasn’t exciting to look at and it was their top seller for years.

Personally, I’d rather have an SUV with subtle styling than the mess that the current RX is. When MB releases the AMG variants, they will look more exciting.
Old 09-13-18, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

The new GLE taillights mimic the CLS taillights. The GLE with the base motor isn’t supposed to be the most exciting SUV. It is meant to be understated and appealing to all age groups. The last GLE wasn’t exciting to look at and it was their top seller for years.

Personally, I’d rather have an SUV with subtle styling than the mess that the current RX is. When MB releases the AMG variants, they will look more exciting.
it looks like asian vehicle from behind... just because they used something similar last year with CLS does mean Asian brands have not been using it for decades.

And yeah, old GLE looked better, especially when it was just released at that time and considering it was not all-new vehicle either.
Old 09-13-18, 03:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

.. it is almost like Chinese copy of MB design.
I honestly think some of the knock-offs look better.

Old 09-13-18, 04:24 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

it looks like asian vehicle from behind... just because they used something similar last year with CLS does mean Asian brands have not been using it for decades.

And yeah, old GLE looked better, especially when it was just released at that time and considering it was not all-new vehicle either.
Care to post a pic of an asian vehicle you think it looks like? Maybe the taillights do but idk about the rest of it. Kind of looks like a big GLC.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 09-13-18 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 04:58 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Pleasant exterior styling, with some odd touches. Fake air intakes on the front bumper. It doesn't look like they even tried to make them look like intakes. Weak effort.
Tires are too wide and look related to a 70's conversion van with T/A radials from CHiPs.
That is the first MBZ dash that actually does not look like an imposing block wall. A step in the right direction. But why add a Chevy bowtie emblem on the steering wheel? Tacky.
This will sell well, but overall it is nothing super special from a design perspective. Any SUV could have had this body shape and greenhouse structure.
It can “hop”, not many SUVs can do that...
Old 09-13-18, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

^^ Thanks for sharing. Some folks might not like the look of the new GLE, but the capabilities with the new suspension is sublime

Next GX better have a 'Kangaroo' mode
Old 09-13-18, 05:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The interior quality on the new models it class leading. Very little plastic you can touch in them now. Even my C43 has metal buttons now.

I don't agree. I've been in a few new S and C class. Both AMG trims.
The biggest creak/rattle traps I've ever been in. It's quite embarrassing. Every part of the interior, if you push around on the panels creaks like it's made out of disposable plastic material. Every bump makes the car creak. I was shocked.

A new Honda on the other hand, has ZERO rattles in comparison. My 04 LS and 07 LX are silent no matter what you do to them. You can take an LX on virtually any trail in Colorado, finish the trail, get back on the highway and drive in complete silence. THAT is quality.

The fact that they are putting stupid size wheels and rubber band tires on these new AMGs does not help their case either. I was expecting a luxury ride but was extremely disappointed.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 09-13-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 07:58 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I don't agree. I've been in a few new S and C class. Both AMG trims.
The biggest creak/rattle traps I've ever been in. It's quite embarrassing. Every part of the interior, if you push around on the panels creaks like it's made out of disposable plastic material. Every bump makes the car creak. I was shocked.

A new Honda on the other hand, has ZERO rattles in comparison. My 04 LS and 07 LX are silent no matter what you do to them. You can take an LX on virtually any trail in Colorado, finish the trail, get back on the highway and drive in complete silence. THAT is quality.

The fact that they are putting stupid size wheels and rubber band tires on these new AMGs does not help their case either. I was expecting a luxury ride but was extremely disappointed.
Damn, didn’t mean to get you upset. The AMG trim is supposed to have low profile wheels, just like F sport does. I was talking about interior material, not interior build. I think Lexus has a better interior built quality than pretty much every brand out there.

If you have a problem with the new S class, I don’t know what car will make you happy. Enjoy your 04

Quick Reply: 2019 Mercedes GLE