Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 10:08 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..

Specifically, from a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD with Luxury and Premium packages, to a 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD. I'm just writing this because I've got a little free time at work.

First thing's first, I loved my IS250, and if I could have kept it, I would have. Like most IS250 owners, my only complaint about the car was it's lack of power. This wasn't a big deal for me as I didn't really need power in the city, but I did want it to handle better, which is why I lowered it and upgraded the wheels and tires. Again, if I didn't have to upgrade, I'd probably drive the IS into the ground, and I'd be happy doing it.

Why go from a sedan to a 7-seat crossover?
The main reason was the additional room. My girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) wanted us to eventually move to a larger vehicle once we were expecting. She says she also feels safer in a bigger vehicle. I also got rid of my Lexus because I wasn't driving it as much after moving to Alberta (was working from home). My wife's Civic was cheaper to maintain and to fuel up, so we got rid of the IS250 and used the money to get our own place. Now with our six month old daughter, I'm glad we have the extra room.

Why not go to a GX, LX, or RX-L?
RX-L had just been announced when we had seriously started looking at vehicles, and it would have been too expensive to buy brand new. I also don't like the side profile of the current gen RX, specifically the black panel that extends behind the rear doors. Used GX was a consideration, and I likely would have gone that route over a 3-row 2015 4runner. LX was too expensive for me.

Any regrets?
I do miss the electronic telescopic tilting steering wheel that my IS250 had, such a nice feature that made the car feel more expensive than it actually was. The rear sunshade was also another feature that I really didn't get much benefit from, but liked having. The 2IS exterior design is also hard to beat, it has such clean lines. I also miss driving a lowered car. I would have liked to get a car with more creature comforts such as a 360 camera, articulating back up lines, power folding mirrors, maybe even a panoramic moonroof. The Bose audio system in the Mazda also leaves something to be desired. It's good, but it's not great.

What does the CX-9 do better?
I love the exterior styling and the interior quality of the Mazda. Part of the reason I bought the CX-9 was the interior - it feels like I'm back in a Lexus every time I hop in the car. All of the small details are better executed (but this is to be expected when upgrading from a 10 year old car). One glaring exception is the stitching on the seats, some of it looks a little sloppy where the rear panel is stitched into the side. By far the biggest difference is the drive. The CX-9 handles better than the Civic. I would even go as far as saying that it handles just as good as the IS250 did. The CX-9 is also perfect for the city driving I do now. Mileage is great, all the torque is there when I need it, and there's no noticeable turbo lag. The HUD is also a nice touch, and I personally like Mazda's infotainment system as well. The Commander **** works very well, and I've found that I'd rather use the **** than fiddle with the screen.

Overall, I chose the CX-9 over other 3-row vehicles based primarily on price, driver engagement, and exterior/interior appeal. It doesn't have the widest range of features or the most cargo capacity, but its really fun to drive and I love the way it looks.

The old IS250:

The new CX-9:

Old 09-04-18, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice story. Nice new suv!!!
Old 09-04-18, 10:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Nice new Mazda, looks good. I also had a 2008 IS250 AWD Luxury. It was a nice little car but once I had kids with a rear facing car seat I had zero leg room and I am not tall so I traded it for a LS460. I liked the car for the features it had but it wasn't a cheap car and it was grossly underpowered like you mentioned and it didn't get great gas mileage to offset the lack of power.
Old 09-04-18, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Great choice! I hate that theres no V6 option but its the nicest 3 row non luxury crossover IMHO.

I really like Mazdas. Feel really upscale for the money.
Old 09-04-18, 11:07 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Signature model being top of the line I think, no telescopic steering? Think you have adequate power from 2.5 liter turbo for that SUV? I just can't stand under pwered vehicle of any kind. I passed Mazda because the lack of engine choice. Otherwise it was fine to me. I heard Mazda CX9 wood trims are done by guitar craftman.
Old 09-04-18, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Has telescopic steering but most companies don't do the power rise and slide away wheel like Lexus does.
Old 09-04-18, 11:16 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I convinced a friend of mine to replace his 2012 IS250 F-Sport with a CX-5 a couple months back. I went with him on the test drive and was blown away by how upmarket the Mazda feels. If Mazda offered a more powerful engine choice on the CX-5 or CX-9, I would definitely consider getting one. The CX-9 Signature with the red Nappa leather is beautiful!
Old 09-04-18, 11:36 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Great choice! I hate that theres no V6 option but its the nicest 3 row non luxury crossover IMHO.

I really like Mazdas. Feel really upscale for the money.
Yep, I was a bit apprehensive about the turbo 4 cylinder as well, mainly due to the engine note and the turbo itself (one more thing that can break). That was one of the reasons I waited two years to buy the 2G CX-9, I wanted to see how the engine held up over time. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by Htony
Signature model being top of the line I think, no telescopic steering? Think you have adequate power from 2.5 liter turbo for that SUV? I just can't stand under pwered vehicle of any kind. I passed Mazda because the lack of engine choice. Otherwise it was fine to me. I heard Mazda CX9 wood trims are done by guitar craftman.
It has a telescopic steering wheel, but as SW17LS mentioned it doesn't automatically retract/extend and tilt up/down like the IS250 does. Adequate power is a good way to describe it. It's not "fast" by any means, but it feels very light for a crossover. I think the lack of top end power really shows on the highway when you're trying to pass someone, but the transmission helps to compensate by always seeming to be in the right gear. In the city, the 310 tq seems to be way more important than 300 hp - the turbo spools up at 2k and power is steady through to about 4.5k. Wood trims are definitely a nice touch.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I convinced a friend of mine to replace his 2012 IS250 F-Sport with a CX-5 a couple months back. I went with him on the test drive and was blown away by how upmarket the Mazda feels. If Mazda offered a more powerful engine choice on the CX-5 or CX-9, I would definitely consider getting one. The CX-9 Signature with the red Nappa leather is beautiful!
Yes indeed, I had to sell my wife on the Signature interior at first because she doesn't really like the "flashy" reddish-brown color. She loves it now though! Also, word on the street is that the 2019 CX-5 will be offered with the 2.5T engine in the higher trims. I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but I can imagine that the already nimble CX-5 will impress quite a few people if the 2.5T is added to the mix.
Old 09-04-18, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Has telescopic steering but most companies don't do the power rise and slide away wheel like Lexus does.
I don't know if your LS does it. But the newer Toyota or Lexus you can separate either the tilt height or tilt telescope or both. Toyota higher end stuff is the only brand I know that the power tilt and scope feature from a mainstream brand.
Old 09-04-18, 07:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

For me, I will never get another car without memory seats with power telescoping/tilt steering wheel. My current IS350 f-sport doesn’t have either of these features and for some reason in 2016 you couldn’t even get it as an option with the F-sport package which is ridiculous for a $50k car. Even my old 2008 IS250 had it. I thought it wasn’t a big deal when I leased it but since my wife and I switch cars often it’s a pain trying to squeeze in the seat after she uses it. I can’t wait until my lease is up next year to get rid of it. Of course now Lexus offers this feature with the F-sport package.

Old 09-05-18, 02:47 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I hope you enjoy your new car, but there are to many fridges on the road
Old 09-05-18, 06:31 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by isfvss
I hope you enjoy your new car, but there are to many fridges on the road
At least it's not something that actually looks like it could be confused with a fridge (Atlas, Acadia, Pilot, Sorento, etc)

Also, this "fridge" doesn't travel the same roads you do, I think you'll be fine lol
Old 09-05-18, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Enjoy your new CX-9, sm1ke....and congratulations.

It's nice that you wanted to share your story with us (and Thanks). But you don't have to justify your purchase to us. If you like it, it suits your needs (and can afford it)....go for it. I did essentially what you did, myself, some 12 years ago, when I went from a 1Gen Lexus IS300 to a Subaru Outback. I was simply tired of dealing with RWD in the winter, and wanted something more suitable, at an affordable price. I thought that Subaru had (and still has) the best AWD system in the business, although they are not the equals of Honda and Toyota for reliability in some pother areas.
Old 09-05-18, 07:50 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Enjoy your new CX-9, sm1ke....and congratulations.

It's nice that you wanted to share your story with us (and Thanks). But you don't have to justify your purchase to us. If you like it, it suits your needs (and can afford it)....go for it. I did essentially what you did, myself, some 12 years ago, when I went from a 1Gen Lexus IS300 to a Subaru Outback. I was simply tired of dealing with RWD in the winter, and wanted something more suitable, at an affordable price. I thought that Subaru had (and still has) the best AWD system in the business, although they are not the equals of Honda and Toyota for reliability in some pother areas.
Thanks mmarshall. I don't really see it as justifying the purchase to anyone, I kinda just felt like talking about it. Maybe if someone in the same position as I was back then saw this post, it might help them identify what's important to them in their next purchase. Or maybe if someone was considering a Mazda but didn't know what to expect, this might help them to draw some conclusions about the brand/car. Maybe someone would find a few minutes of entertainment in reading about how someone else went from one brand to another, who knows lol.

I had a coworker in Alberta who had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the air suspension. She had a terrible experience with it. One of the air struts failed twice in two years. Her last straw was when she pulled into a gas station with her baby and tried to put the car in Park. The electronic shifter showed that she was in Park, but when she turned the car off, it started to roll away. She couldn't do anything, brakes wouldn't depress, transmission wouldn't shift because the car was off. She was panicking because they were rolling towards a propane or gasoline tank. Finally she started the car and was able to hit the brakes. After that she traded the car in, and guess what she got? A Subaru Outback They definitely have one of the best AWD systems available.
Old 09-05-18, 07:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Congratulations !! enjoy your new SUV

Quick Reply: Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..