Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice guys... mazda makes great cars... showing you can have tasteful styling, useful space, in an affordable package.
Old 01-18-19, 10:27 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Got the wheels and tires back from the shop. They installed the TPMS sensors, mounted the tires and balanced the wheels. Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt.. lol
Old 01-18-19, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the exterior designs? Big grille? Proportions? Body lines?
Thansk for asking. I don’t generally like cross overs because they are more car than utility vs a body on frame suv which is more utility over all else. I believe the CX5 is more tight fitting and smaller than something like a 4Runner or Tahoe which I would be more likely to accept. Although, a 4Runner (mine included) makes for a terrible daily driver. I personally put the emphasis on the utility above all else. Yes, the CX5 and 9 are indeed lovely inside.
Old 01-18-19, 11:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Had to take my LX into Lexus for some warranty work and was talking to the service advisor who recently joined Lexus service after spending 10 years selling at Mazda. Asked him for his input as my mom is shopping around for a CUV and he raved about the CX5 and CX9. Made me even more excited to go check them out in person to see what they're all about - I love the exterior styling and the interior looks absolutely beautiful. Mazda may be the best value going right now - mid level price point for upper-end luxury design and feel.
Old 01-18-19, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I just don't see the point in this day and age to drive around in a rough, huge body on frame SUV if you don't need that. Crossovers like this are so much easier to live with day to day, economical, better space packaging. Plus, compared to a Tahoe spec'ed similarly this CX-9 is $35,000 less. You could buy a loaded CX-9 and a loaded CX-5 for the cost of a loaded Tahoe.

Its one thing if you need the utility of the Tahoe...but if you don't why pay way more for the drawbacks?
Old 01-18-19, 11:36 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Thansk for asking. I don’t generally like cross overs because they are more car than utility vs a body on frame suv which is more utility over all else. I believe the CX5 is more tight fitting and smaller than something like a 4Runner or Tahoe which I would be more likely to accept. Although, a 4Runner (mine included) makes for a terrible daily driver. I personally put the emphasis on the utility above all else. Yes, the CX5 and 9 are indeed lovely inside.
I see. Can't argue with that. Thanks for answering!

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Had to take my LX into Lexus for some warranty work and was talking to the service advisor who recently joined Lexus service after spending 10 years selling at Mazda. Asked him for his input as my mom is shopping around for a CUV and he raved about the CX5 and CX9. Made me even more excited to go check them out in person to see what they're all about - I love the exterior styling and the interior looks absolutely beautiful. Mazda may be the best value going right now - mid level price point for upper-end luxury design and feel.
The value was a big reason for going with the Mazda. It's definitely lacking in some areas and if you look hard enough, you can tell where they cut costs. That said, the CX-9 offered the best overall package (for me).
Old 01-18-19, 11:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What engine/hp does your new CX9 have? I'm excited about the new turbo engine for the CX5!
Old 01-18-19, 12:09 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by bagwell
What engine/hp does your new CX9 have? I'm excited about the new turbo engine for the CX5!
For the CX-9, all trims come with the same engine: 2.5L Turbo, 310 ft-lb torque, 227hp on 87, 250hp on 93. This is the same engine that is used in the higher trim (GT Reserve and Signature) 2018 Mazda 6, and the same engine in the higher trim 2019 CX-5.
Old 01-18-19, 02:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For the CX-9, all trims come with the same engine: 2.5L Turbo, 310 ft-lb torque, 227hp on 87, 250hp on 93. This is the same engine that is used in the higher trim (GT Reserve and Signature) 2018 Mazda 6, and the same engine in the higher trim 2019 CX-5.
Nice!!! Enjoy!!!! Be safe.
Old 01-18-19, 10:48 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

We looked and drove everything at any price including the CX9. My wife gave the go ahead to buy one. I nixed it because I felt the rear was cramped due to the sloping tailgate. Actually the whole car seemed less spacious than what we wanted. It was our 2nd choice which was pretty impressive. We ended up buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we absolutely love even after 30,000 miles. Move forward to last week when I added a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Ultimate to our garage. This car is awesome and priced really good. I went and looked at the CX5 Turbo but didn’t like the small center screen or the heated steering wheel that only heated up on the sides. Also they wanted full sticker for them if you could even get one. I got 6k off the new Santa Fe with the best warranty in the business. Anyway the CX9 is a terrific car for the money.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 01-19-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True about the size. There's always a tradeoff for style vs interior space.

Did I read correctly that you compared an MX-5 to a Santa Fe? The MX-5 is the Miata lol
Old 01-19-19, 07:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I see. Can't argue with that. Thanks for answering!
).
So what did you have before your current Mazda?
Old 01-19-19, 08:20 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
True about the size. There's always a tradeoff for style vs interior space.

Did I read correctly that you compared an MX-5 to a Santa Fe? The MX-5 is the Miata lol
CX5 Turbo. Sorry. I could have gone smaller for this second car if I wanted. Just so happens the Santa Fe is as spacious as the Jeep. The CX9 is 4 inches longer for the 3rd seat, more expensive than the Hyundai and has less of a warranty so that was ruled out again this time. Really this new Santa Fe stands out for features, warranty, price etc. I still think the Grand Cherokee is a better vehicle but 9k more with the same equipment plus I dont want to own two of the same cars. The Jeeps dont have brake hold though which I’m addicted to. My friend paid 50k for his new RDX with less warranty and doesn’t think it’s much better than my Santa Fe I paid 34K for.
Old 01-19-19, 10:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you the same JPL that's on mazdas247?

Mazda is definitely overlooked by many, and I'm sure its because they're a much, much smaller company compared to others. They have a smaller dealer network, which might be part of the reason they don't move as many vehicles as others. I'm sure the previous Ford partnership didn't help matters either. But they have shown consistent growth, and hopefully their partnership with Toyota will change a few more minds.

Honestly, I was sold on the CX-9 the second I test drove it. It looks good in photos, but the drive is something you have to experience to appreciate, especially at this price point. This car punches high for it's class.
Yes, that would be me on Mazda24/7. Haven't been on CL for a while but I used to have a SC400 a while back.

Didn't make the connection with your screen name.

Every time I get in the CX-9 and drive (or just look at it) I know I got the right vehicle. While not as cavernous as the boxy competition, I'm never wanting for more space. I've already done a road trip from MA to FL and back and brought a ton of stuff. 3 full size suit cases, 3 carry on size cases, two full size strollers, large cooler, and many other little items with 4 people and could still see out the back window. Was actually quite amazed.

The extra space in others is only realized if you go all out with loading them to the ceiling. How often do people use all 85 cu ft of space? Seems to me getting an uglier less dynamic vehicle to fill it that way almost never doesn't make sense. I could always throw a roof top carrier on top if I ever needed it.
Old 01-19-19, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
CX5 Turbo. Sorry. I could have gone smaller for this second car if I wanted. Just so happens the Santa Fe is as spacious as the Jeep. The CX9 is 4 inches longer for the 3rd seat, more expensive than the Hyundai and has less of a warranty so that was ruled out again this time. Really this new Santa Fe stands out for features, warranty, price etc. I still think the Grand Cherokee is a better vehicle but 9k more with the same equipment plus I dont want to own two of the same cars. The Jeeps dont have brake hold though which I’m addicted to. My friend paid 50k for his new RDX with less warranty and doesn’t think it’s much better than my Santa Fe I paid 34K for.
I figured thats what you meant LOL. The new Santa Fe is nice, I sat in it a couple weeks ago. I just don't care for the styling.

Quick Reply: Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..