Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 08:24 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister has owned one of these since October, a 2018 Signature in Alberta. Overall its served her very well and she has put nearly 40000kms on it including a long trip to South Cali. Some issues to look out for are the infotainment screen freezing/lagging occasionally, premature wear on the leather seats, and paint being quite thin/scratching easily compared to luxury brands. Have they upgraded the infotainment systems to support Carplay and Android Auto yet? It was supposed to happen sometime soon. Good choice, most of the reliability issues seem to stem from the infotainment system and not the major mechanical parts so it should serve you well. Make sure you put winters on it, the stock Falkens that came on my sister's were junk in the winter.

Last edited by venom21; 09-05-18 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-05-18, 08:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
My sister has owned one of these since October, a 2018 Signature in Alberta. Overall its served her very well and she has put nearly 40000kms on it including a long trip to South Cali. Some issues to look out for are the infotainment screen freezing/lagging occasionally, premature wear on the leather seats, and paint being quite thin/scratching easily compared to luxury brands. Have they upgraded the infotainment systems to support Carplay and Android Auto yet? It was supposed to happen sometime soon. Good choice, most of the reliability issues seem to stem from the infotainment system and not the major mechanical parts so it should serve you well. Make sure you put winters on it, the stock Falkens that came on my sister's were junk in the winter.
Thanks, mine also came from Alberta (we were still living there when we bought it). Mine has nearly 13k on it, no issues whatsoever with the infotainment or the leather. Maybe the firmware on your sister's car needs an update? Paint is definitely thin compared to luxury/German brands, but apparently its the same story across the board for some other manufacturers like Ford and Honda. I knew this going in, which is why I had the dealer install PPF for free while negotiating the deal.

Thanks for the tip on the winters, mine came with Bridgestone Ecopia tires that are apparently not as good as the Falkens, so winter tires are the next purchase. I'll be getting a set of Bridgestone DM-V2s before the first snowfall.
Old 09-05-18, 10:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats on a great choice! We went with a Highlander, but I really like the CX-9 as well. We've used the third row many more times than I ever thought we would. These are great cars to have around.
Old 09-05-18, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Thanks, mine also came from Alberta (we were still living there when we bought it).
congrats! where are you now that you're not in alberta?

Old 09-05-18, 11:35 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congrats on a great choice! We went with a Highlander, but I really like the CX-9 as well. We've used the third row many more times than I ever thought we would. These are great cars to have around.
Definitely, I never thought I'd end up using the third row as much as I have been. It's nice to be able to take the whole family to dinner or whatever in just one car. I have a friend in Alberta who just bought a 2016 Highlander, they like theirs as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats! where are you now that you're not in alberta?
Thank you! I'm in Manitoba now.
Old 09-06-18, 08:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I'm in Manitoba now.
living large!
Old 09-06-18, 09:52 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
living large!
Hahah, not even remotely close. But both my wife and I have a huge network of friends and family here, and we are all very happy to be able to raise our six month old with family around.
Old 09-06-18, 10:00 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I'm sure some of you have seen my post in the Marketplace, but if anyone has any suggestions for 22" wheels/brands of wheels to consider, I'd really appreciate it. Brands on the short list that are currently accessible to me are Niche (Form or Elan) and Vossen (VFS-1, VFS-2, or HF-1). I also like Ace Alloy wheels (specifically the Devotion model), but I can't seem to find a local shop that can order them in for me. I have also considered other brands like Avant Garde and Rohana.

I know that the Vossen hybrid forged wheels are lighter than the Niche wheels by about 7lbs per wheel, I just need to decide whether that's worth paying twice as much. I love the look of the Devotion wheels, but they seem to be harder to source in Canada, and become almost as expensive as Vossen once I factor in shipping costs, duty/customs, and the 3hr round trip to pick the shipment up from the border.

Any other suggestions for brands I should look into?
Old 01-16-19, 10:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Just thought I'd update, I went with Vossen VFS-2 wheels in 22x10.5 and Nexen 285/35/22 tires. Surprisingly the 22" Vossens are 3-4 lbs lighter than the OEM 20" wheels! Can't wait to get them on the car.
Old 01-16-19, 10:49 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

CX-9s are a great car - sad to see over half of Mazda's sold in the US are CX-5's (they are good vehicles but the Miata and Mazda 6 are very under-rated).

I looked at the CX-9 a while back when looking to replace my wife's pilot - unfortunately, the 3rd-row seat is really small (we'd use it regularly) however it drives like a dream and is very competitive for the price. It looks way more expensive than it is!
Old 01-16-19, 02:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting there is 2 of us on CL with a 2018 CX-9. I can attest that it's a fantastic vehicle. Best interior in class, best looking exterior (In a majority of opinions), best driving, most low end torque...

Mazda is still overlooked by too many. They continue to rate best in class in each category but people don't care. Mazda is also #3 on Consumer Reports only after Toyota and Lexus in reliability. Both CX-9 and CX-5 are on Car and Driver's 10 best trucks /SUVs this year.
Old 01-18-19, 05:44 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Interesting there is 2 of us on CL with a 2018 CX-9. I can attest that it's a fantastic vehicle. Best interior in class, best looking exterior (In a majority of opinions), best driving, most low end torque...

Mazda is still overlooked by too many. They continue to rate best in class in each category but people don't care. Mazda is also #3 on Consumer Reports only after Toyota and Lexus in reliability. Both CX-9 and CX-5 are on Car and Driver's 10 best trucks /SUVs this year.
Are you the same JPL that's on mazdas247?

Mazda is definitely overlooked by many, and I'm sure its because they're a much, much smaller company compared to others. They have a smaller dealer network, which might be part of the reason they don't move as many vehicles as others. I'm sure the previous Ford partnership didn't help matters either. But they have shown consistent growth, and hopefully their partnership with Toyota will change a few more minds.

Honestly, I was sold on the CX-9 the second I test drove it. It looks good in photos, but the drive is something you have to experience to appreciate, especially at this price point. This car punches high for it's class.
Old 01-18-19, 05:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

We picked up the smaller version of your CX-9, the 2019 CX-5 Signature a few weeks ago. I still have my Lexus, though. It's an awesome vehicle with lots of torque.

Looking forward to seeing pic's with the Vossens installed!
Old 01-18-19, 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats to those who went to Mazda. Personally I do not find Mazda designs appealing at all. Aside from the Miata. Yes, the CX5 and 9 interiors are very nice. Maybe as nice as Lexus or even better. Just not for me. Same goes for some other brand models such as Highlander as well. I do like the design of the RAV4 inside and out. Just not sure of the fit and finish.
Old 01-18-19, 06:37 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike728
We picked up the smaller version of your CX-9, the 2019 CX-5 Signature a few weeks ago. I still have my Lexus, though. It's an awesome vehicle with lots of torque.

Looking forward to seeing pic's with the Vossens installed!
Congrats! There's a lot to love about the new CX-5 Signature.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congrats to those who went to Mazda. Personally I do not find Mazda designs appealing at all. Aside from the Miata. Yes, the CX5 and 9 interiors are very nice. Maybe as nice as Lexus or even better. Just not for me. Same goes for some other brand models such as Highlander as well. I do like the design of the RAV4 inside and out. Just not sure of the fit and finish.
One other thing I really like is the way the infotainment is laid out with the Commander ****. I find it much better than many of the touchscreen systems out there. I've had this car for a year and I think I've touched the screen like 3 times, lol.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the exterior designs? Big grille? Proportions? Body lines?

Quick Reply: Went from a Lexus to a Mazda..