Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 11:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
To go full SUV or to buy into the SUV hype at its peak its not that smart. The SUV market will fade off - its a trend. Once the gas prices get expensive, people will be trying to get rid of their SUVs as quick as possible. In California, gas is already topping over 4 dollars for premium. From my experience, San Francisco tops out at roughly $3.99-$4.10 for premium and in the platinum triangle in LA tops out at $4.10+ premium. I have seen places that sell for $4.30 premium as well.
When did I say go full SUV?
Old 05-04-18, 11:56 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not sure that gas prices are really going to hurt the SUV craze all that much. Gas is already getting more expensive again and doesn't appear to have slowed down their sales at all. Current SUVs/CUVs are getting more efficient all of the time.
As of right now, I agree SUV/CUV sales aren't slowing because gas prices are as bad as they were in 2008. I remember in 2008, all gas tiers were over 4 dollars; not just premium. I believe you'll see a slow down in SUV/CUV sales once gas cost 4 dollars plus across the board.

While its true that on average SUV/CUV are getting more efficient, it doesn't mean its actually fuel-efficient though. When gas gets expensive, people might reverse back to sedans to save gas money. The SUV/CUV is a trend and like most trends - there is a tipping point.

Originally Posted by situman
When did I say go full SUV?
I didn't say you said "go full SUV".
Old 05-04-18, 12:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

Assuming estimated fuel economy is accurate, a CR-V gets 26/32 vs the Accord's 30/38. An RX gets 20/27 vs 21/30 in the ES. Sedans aren't really giving a whole lot of extra MPG given the extra utility in the SUVs
Old 05-04-18, 01:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Assuming estimated fuel economy is accurate, a CR-V gets 26/32 vs the Accord's 30/38. An RX gets 20/27 vs 21/30 in the ES. Sedans aren't really giving a whole lot of extra MPG given the extra utility in the SUVs
post of the day.

as you know, i recently switched from an suv to a sedan, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to a ute if one floats my boat next time around.
Old 05-04-18, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Your comparison is a bit flawed. The CRV and Civic should be compared. Cost of the vehicle and lower cost of fuel heavily favour the Civic. An accord and Pilot compare correctly. Same with Corolla and Camry. The RX and ES is a good comparison though.
Old 05-04-18, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
post of the day. .
Its not the post of the day IMO. The average American cannot absorb a hike or worse a “shock” in gas prices. When they eventually do hit $4 a gallon, consumers who are entering the auto market at that time will not be buying as many SUVs of cross overs. Consumer spending slows when gas prices rise, there is 40 years of data to show this.
Old 05-04-18, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Its not the post of the day IMO. The average American cannot absorb a hike or worse a “shock” in gas prices. When they eventually do hit $4 a gallon, consumers who are entering the auto market at that time will not be buying as many SUVs of cross overs. Consumer spending slows when gas prices rise, there is 40 years of data to show this.

One would think so, but, in reality, often, that often isn't the case. I don't know about Canada or Toronto, but, here in the U.S., a lot of people will cut back on almost anything else to keep driving when the price of gas goes up LOL.

Old 05-04-18, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
post of the day.

as you know, i recently switched from an suv to a sedan, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to a ute if one floats my boat next time around.
You don't necessarily need an SUV for that.

Old 05-04-18, 04:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Civic: 28 City / 40 Hwy ;;;; HR-V: 25 City / 33 Hwy.
As you stated CR-V: 26/32 ;;;;;; Accord 30/38 and for $900 base price more than the CR-V you get a Accord Hybrid with 47/47.
For the price of a loaded RX, you can get a loaded ES-hybrid and save some extra cash.

Your RX and ES example should include the 7G Lexus ES EPA numbers to make it more fair judgement since the 7G Lexus ES is in bound and will be the car sold in the future. Since EPA aren't out for it, lets assume Camry XSE V6 EPAs which is at 22/32.

Sedans, based on just some of the examples here, the average difference in MPG between sedans and SUVs are about 5-9 hwy. If you are saving 5-9 hwy miles per gallon with fuel costing at 4 dollars to 4.50 dollars, you'll be saving quite a bit of money per week/month, especially if you are a long distance commutator to work.

At the end of the day, people will trade up their car if its too much to handle the cost of it. Of course - people who needs an insane amount of cargo room (IE: someone that has 3-4 kids and need the space) will continue to stomach the cost. But - there are SUV/CUV owners with 1-2 kids that doesn't really need a SUV but has one <--- these are the people most likely to trade up.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One would think so, but, in reality, often, that often isn't the case. I don't know about Canada or Toronto, but, here in the U.S., a lot of people will cut back on almost anything else to keep driving when the price of gas goes up LOL.
Jill wasn't talking about people giving up their vehicles and stop driving. She was saying people will trade up for something more efficient.

Yes. US has a car culture where we like to drive and our public transportation is awful (IE: no electric trains like Asia or Europe). So yes, people will do anything to keep driving but people will not do anything to keep driving something that's inefficient.
Old 05-04-18, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jill wasn't talking about people giving up their vehicles and stop driving. She was saying people will trade up for something more efficient.

Yes. US has a car culture where we like to drive and our public transportation is awful (IE: no electric trains like Asia or Europe). So yes, people will do anything to keep driving but people will not do anything to keep driving something that's inefficient.
I've seen it both ways. A lot of Baby Boomers, for example, who grew up in the Muscle-car era, are running around in R/T / SRT/ Hellcat Challengers and Chargers, painted the 1970s-pastel colors, simply to re-live their youth, despite the price of gas and/or commuting conditions. The younger guys, of course, are in Mustang GTs and Cobras.
Old 05-04-18, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, don't want to get too far off-topic...the GS and its availability. Personally, I'd give it a (slightly) better than 50/50 chance of also being dropped in the American market...but I've been wrong before.
Old 05-04-18, 05:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

What did Carmaker1 actually say last week - I couldn't understand his post 100%.
Is GS only being dropped in Europe, or is GS being dropped globally??
Old 05-04-18, 05:28 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

Civic: 28 City / 40 Hwy ;;;; HR-V: 25 City / 33 Hwy.
As you stated CR-V: 26/32 ;;;;;; Accord 30/38 and for $900 base price more than the CR-V you get a Accord Hybrid with 47/47.
For the price of a loaded RX, you can get a loaded ES-hybrid and save some extra cash.

Your RX and ES example should include the 7G Lexus ES EPA numbers to make it more fair judgement since the 7G Lexus ES is in bound and will be the car sold in the future. Since EPA aren't out for it, lets assume Camry XSE V6 EPAs which is at 22/32.

Sedans, based on just some of the examples here, the average difference in MPG between sedans and SUVs are about 5-9 hwy. If you are saving 5-9 hwy miles per gallon with fuel costing at 4 dollars to 4.50 dollars, you'll be saving quite a bit of money per week/month, especially if you are a long distance commutator to work.

At the end of the day, people will trade up their car if its too much to handle the cost of it. Of course - people who needs an insane amount of cargo room (IE: someone that has 3-4 kids and need the space) will continue to stomach the cost. But - there are SUV/CUV owners with 1-2 kids that doesn't really need a SUV but has one <--- these are the people most likely to trade up.
Going off topic but a CR-V with the 1.5L turbo gets a combined 30 MPG (29 w/ AWD). The Accord with the 1.5 gets a combined 33 MPG. To Jill's point, the CR-V is built on the Civic platform, but interior space is similar to the Accord and cargo space is far superior so lets run with it If a 3 MPG difference kills you because gas goes up a buck, there are probably bigger issues to deal with and one of them probably isn't finding the $850 to buy a base Accord hybrid.

We aren't talking about an Escalade of a Expedition sized vehicle. Small CUVs (aside from the HR-V/CH-R abominations) offer close enough MPG with a ton more utility. Those that need the space (e.g. people with kids) will continue to buy them regardless of the gas prices. I think the trunk in my GS is a pretty decent size. But if I put two strollers in there, I can't even fit groceries unless I take them out of the bag and find space.

Getting back on topic. The 4GS really just feels like a heavily refreshed 3GS kind of like the later years of the 4LS. The interior was much better and the handling was sharper, but it just felt old from the start. I've enjoyed it since I've had it, but kind of regret not getting an A6 instead
Old 05-04-18, 05:33 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I can drive my fwd cars at that speed but do I feel as safe? Not really. I pushed my rwd G35 and IS350 up to 130-140 mph easily and it's like driving at 80. I pushed my modded FWD Maxima to those speeds and I could feel the lift. These are luxury cars and if I'm going to speed like that, let me please be in a proper rwd platform where I feel just as good at 150 as I feel at 80. To each his own.
Try driving RX8 at those speeds and you will feel the lift too cause its so light. Reason why you feel confidence during high speeds in premium cars is the premium way of building them from the ground up Lexus LS is really notorious when it comes to doing a 100 while you feel like you are doing 60. SC was like that too and due to lack of bodyroll you would attack those corners like in a go cart.
Old 05-04-18, 08:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
What did Carmaker1 actually say last week - I couldn't understand his post 100%.
Is GS only being dropped in Europe, or is GS being dropped globally??
He said new GS development was scrapped and no replacement is coming.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world