Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of the Lexus GS around the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 07:00 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Mercedes could gobble up a lot of ES sales if it was brave and crazy enough to come up with a FWD sedan slotted between the C and E-class but cheaper than both. I don't think they will though, they want to maintain their image in the market and not cannibalize E-class sales. The small A, CLA, GLA and B-class are the only FWD models in the Benz lineup - they have decent sales figures in Europe but they're too small for the US market.

Another irony is that the dumpy-looking B-class sells a lot more units than the GS in Europe. Beyond the tiny yet vocal enthusiast crowd, most people don't care about RWD vs FWD architectures and handling dynamics doesn't figure into their purchase decisions. It's the badge that counts.
Old 05-03-18, 08:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Again as i have said for years, If ES did not exist then GS would have no issue selling on par with 5series and Eclass. Unfortunately Toyota is so greedy that the massive profits generated by rebadged Camry are too hard to pass up. Brand equity be damned.

Im sure MB and BMW can also go all FWD and reap massive profits as most people will still buy them.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-03-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Mercedes could gobble up a lot of ES sales if it was brave and crazy enough to come up with a FWD sedan slotted between the C and E-class but cheaper than both. I don't think they will though, they want to maintain their image in the market and not cannibalize E-class sales. The small A, CLA, GLA and B-class are the only FWD models in the Benz lineup - they have decent sales figures in Europe but they're too small for the US market.

Another irony is that the dumpy-looking B-class sells a lot more units than the GS in Europe. Beyond the tiny yet vocal enthusiast crowd, most people don't care about RWD vs FWD architectures and handling dynamics doesn't figure into their purchase decisions. It's the badge that counts.
In the US maybe but a proper RWD on the autobahn is safer than a fwd platform at high speeds on something as large as a mid-size luxury car. The luxury cars in Germany are pretty damn quick and cruising at 100+ mph is dangerous without the proper suspension.

A fwd midsize platform would dilute the brand for both Mercedes and bmw. They are better without it.
Old 05-03-18, 10:12 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Again as i have said for years, If ES did not exist then GS would have no issue selling on par with 5series and Eclass. Unfortunately Toyota is so greedy that the massive profits generated by rebadged Camry are too hard to pass up. Brand equity be damned.

Im sure MB and BMW can also go all FWD and reap massive profits as most people will still buy them.
I agree with this. If the Lexus ES doesn't exist and Lexus market the GS properly, they'll be able to rival 5 Series and E-Class really well. If the Lexus ES doesn't exist as well, they could also lower the GS price slightly too.

The problem is Toyota doesn't want to lose profits from a badge-engineered Camry/Avalon. They rather take the cash from the ES than make a good car like the GS. Don't take this the wrong way though - I don't think the ES is a bad car. I think the ES is a good car for what it is, its just not a good driver's car.
Old 05-04-18, 02:25 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Sad to hear that but not surprising. The GS was very poor in selling quantities here and even the used models are selling poorly, you must sell them cheaper than a IS to have them going away. The CT, RX and the IS are really popular in the other hand.
Old 05-04-18, 03:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Rather see Lexus pour all their resources into the ES than allocate funds for a GS
far as i can tell you don't own any 'enthusiast' vehicles, and your 'luxury' vehicle (LX) is 22 years old, so respectfully not sure you were or could ever be a lexus GS target customer so not surprised at your comments.

i believe you've said you might be interested in the new ES, but a) i think that's only a near luxury vehicle (basically a nicer camry/avalon), and b) this thread is about the GS anyway.
Old 05-04-18, 03:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t think RWD is going away at Lexus. It’s just that to make money in the midsize, mid priced segment is going to be more difficult than ever. Prices are going up and Trump is ruining things in North America. A recession is eventually going to happen, it will be massive. Gas prices are going up and will stay high. Food prices are already very high in the US compared to Canada. So I don’t think a $40K-$60K imported from Japan is going to be feasible. I do get what you are trying to say though.
we can leave the politic rants out please. as far as a recession, saying we will have one is hardly a great prediction. no one can say whether it will be 'massive' or not. the last one caused by the housing crisis was beyond massive.

i don't know what food prices have to do with whether a new GS is possible but as far as importing from japan, i think the two most successful lexus models in the u.s. are not made in japan.
Old 05-04-18, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we can leave the politic rants out please. as far as a recession, saying we will have one is hardly a great prediction. no one can say whether it will be 'massive' or not. the last one caused by the housing crisis was beyond massive.

i don't know what food prices have to do with whether a new GS is possible but as far as importing from japan, i think the two most successful lexus models in the u.s. are not made in japan.
The point I was trying to make with food prices for example is that the price of everything in the US has gone up drastically in the last 10 years . That is not the same situation in other parts of the world or in Canada for example. Price parity is now common however the US dollar is much weaker than it was in the past. The GS price point is artificially low and should be higher, there is no way Toyota can make the GS work in the price slot that it is, especially if imported from Japan. The GS should be closer to 60K or more. Comments about a future recession or anything to do with President Trump were not trying to make this political, Toyota would be blind not to forward think and look to the future with a recession in mind or Trump in office when deciding to bring out another generation of a mid size sedan in the US. You would also have to consider an IS for the future as well. Toyota has a unique situation where they have to three cars Avalon, ES, GS covering a demographic of sedan buyer that clearly appears to be shrinking. Then one must consider the US car market is in fact shrinking, and not expanding. Does this make sense to you? Or you disagree?
Old 05-04-18, 06:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

but most MB and BMW growth comes from FWD platforms, and all of Audi growth is in FWD platforms. X1, X2, A, GLA, CLA were massive volume drivers for thier companies, same as A1, A3, A4, Q1, Q2, Q3 almost all sold 90% as FWD in Europe. Even Q5, A5, A6 these days are mostly FWD vehicles, which use same engines and same platform as cheap Skoda's.

Not to mention that most of Mercedes A, B, C, GLA, CLA come with 1.5l Renault engine that goes into $10k Clio with same output.

As to the Autobahn and safe driving comment from other user, I just wonder how do we all manage in Europe with 90% FWD cars on Autobahn... I drive my wives Nissan with 90hp at 100mph with no problems.
Old 05-04-18, 07:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
but most MB and BMW growth comes from FWD platforms, and all of Audi growth is in FWD platforms. X1, X2, A, GLA, CLA were massive volume drivers for thier companies, same as A1, A3, A4, Q1, Q2, Q3 almost all sold 90% as FWD in Europe. Even Q5, A5, A6 these days are mostly FWD vehicles, which use same engines and same platform as cheap Skoda's.

Not to mention that most of Mercedes A, B, C, GLA, CLA come with 1.5l Renault engine that goes into $10k Clio with same output.

As to the Autobahn and safe driving comment from other user, I just wonder how do we all manage in Europe with 90% FWD cars on Autobahn... I drive my wives Nissan with 90hp at 100mph with no problems.
I can drive my fwd cars at that speed but do I feel as safe? Not really. I pushed my rwd G35 and IS350 up to 130-140 mph easily and it's like driving at 80. I pushed my modded FWD Maxima to those speeds and I could feel the lift. These are luxury cars and if I'm going to speed like that, let me please be in a proper rwd platform where I feel just as good at 150 as I feel at 80. To each his own.
Old 05-04-18, 08:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

They should either create a brand new model or just let the GS die. That model adds no value whatsoever. Even the Camry suffered a sales drop last month. It just doesnt make sense to have 4 car models and 2 coupes in the SUV age. Dump the RC too or make it into an IS coupe and consolidate the models. Resources are better spent on the LF1 or the next GX and LX.
Old 05-04-18, 09:41 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
They should either create a brand new model or just let the GS die. That model adds no value whatsoever. Even the Camry suffered a sales drop last month. It just doesnt make sense to have 4 car models and 2 coupes in the SUV age. Dump the RC too or make it into an IS coupe and consolidate the models. Resources are better spent on the LF1 or the next GX and LX.
To go full SUV or to buy into the SUV hype at its peak its not that smart. The SUV market will fade off - its a trend. Once the gas prices get expensive, people will be trying to get rid of their SUVs as quick as possible. In California, gas is already topping over 4 dollars for premium. From my experience, San Francisco tops out at roughly $3.99-$4.10 for premium and in the platinum triangle in LA tops out at $4.10+ premium. I have seen places that sell for $4.30 premium as well.
Old 05-04-18, 09:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I'm not sure that gas prices are really going to hurt the SUV craze all that much. Gas is already getting more expensive again and doesn't appear to have slowed down their sales at all. Current SUVs/CUVs are getting more efficient all of the time.
Old 05-04-18, 10:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 621 Likes on 431 Posts

^^ Agree, it's not like the GS does all that well with fuel consumption anyway
Old 05-04-18, 10:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
^^ Agree, it's not like the GS does all that well with fuel consumption anyway
Yup, my 3 row, 7 passenger AWD CUV gets about 10 mpg better than my GS. But I don't care. GS is fun.

Quick Reply: Future of the Lexus GS around the world