Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen Jaguar XJ rumormill

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next Gen Jaguar XJ rumormill

Next Jaguar XJ will be an electric 5-door sedan, report says

The Jaguar XJ has evolved in a very conservative manner since the debut of the Mark X sedan all the way back in 1961, but the big cat is poised for its biggest transformation yet as it becomes an EV, Autocar reports.

According to the British publication, the XJ will now reportedly be fully electric like a Tesla and feature a five-door instead of a four-door layout.

The next-gen model, due to be unveiled later this year ahead of 2019 sales, is being developed alongside a more car-like Range Rover model known internally as the Road Rover. Autocar reports that design work has been completed under the leadership of design boss Ian Callum and that the design has been well-received within the company. The switch to a five-door layout, according to Callum, arose from the unexpected acceptance of the fastback/hatchback bodystyle in the U.S. thanks to Tesla.

The reinvented XJ will reportedly have an aluminum architecture and offer all-wheel drive. Autocar reports that the sedan will have a range in excess of 300 miles on a full charge, which should make it competitive with other EVs that will be on the market in 2019. Don't expect a gas-electric hybrid early on -- Autocar says that a hybrid version may not even materialize as Jag does not want to dilute the impact of the marque flagship becoming an EV.

This is a lot to take in, admittedly, since the XJ has always been a stolid, cozy, gasoline-drinking sedan with four round headlights, a dusty tome of Sir Ernest Shackleton's exploits in Antarctica, a fireplace, a bear skin rug and plenty of lacquered wood bits. Even before the new model arrives, we're already feeling nostalgic for a time when the XJ could be counted on to be all those things.

At the same time, we can see why Jaguar wanted to reinvent the XJ entirely; no previous generation could make a sales dent against the S-Class/7-Series/A8 trio, and the arrival of large sedans from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and others hasn't made its share of the pie any bigger. The traditional four-door sedan is also on a decline at the moment, as the industry slowly rotates to large crossovers, SUVs and electrification. Going fully electric with its flagship this early on will be a bolder step than many of its competitors plan to take in the near future, as they hedge their electric strategy with parallel lineups.

Time will tell if this is a brilliant move on the part of Jag -- or one that overestimates the immediate demand for electric luxury sedans. EVs currently make up less than 1 percent of new car sales in the U.S., and among that one percent there are plenty of Leafs and Bolts before we get to the full-size luxury sedans like the Tesla Model S, which the Jag XJ will have to battle right out of the box. That's a pretty small slice of the pie at the moment, and it will take a major, unforeseen shift for EVs to get to merely 2 percent next year.
Source
Old 05-19-18, 03:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Amazing how Jaguar is in business still. I don't know how their sales are overseas, but to me that's the most irrelevant luxury brand.
Old 05-19-18, 04:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

These Electric Vehicles are really being pushed down people’s throats with no advantage of price, performance or convenience.

I saw the current XJ yesterday on the highway and its still a gorgeous design that will look great for years to come.
The issue with the XJ is the interior and really old technology inside.
Old 05-19-18, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't know how I feel about a Jaguar XJ without one of their supercharged V8's. Will be a sad day if comes.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
These Electric Vehicles are really being pushed down people’s throats with no advantage of price, performance or convenience.

I saw the current XJ yesterday on the highway and its still a gorgeous design that will look great for years to come.
The issue with the XJ is the interior and really old technology inside.
Well said
Old 05-19-18, 05:36 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Electric luxury cars probably make more sense in the UK than in the US. Travel distances are generally much shorter there and fuel prices are much higher. It seems like most of the European luxury manufacturers have announced plans for extensive "electrification".
Old 05-19-18, 07:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Going all electric and a hatch, good bye XJ, nice while it lasted.
Old 05-19-18, 08:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The biggest and best thing Jag can do is improve their reliability. These cars are still at the bottom of the barrel, which is inexcusable after all these years. Everyone else knows how to build a luxury car without massive faults and constant electrical gremlins.
Old 05-19-18, 09:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I want to see it before I believe it. Bring back the V12s.
Old 05-20-18, 09:29 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the F type and I like how their cars look, but I've really lost faith in the brand after sitting in their latest interiors. XE, XF, F-pace, etc. are all WORST in class from inside. Low grade plastics, shoddy build quality, ugly design.

Aside from the F-type they'd be the last vehicles I'd consider in their respective segments.
Old 05-20-18, 10:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I like the F type and I like how their cars look, but I've really lost faith in the brand after sitting in their latest interiors. XE, XF, F-pace, etc. are all WORST in class from inside. Low grade plastics, shoddy build quality, ugly design.

Aside from the F-type they'd be the last vehicles I'd consider in their respective segments.

Agreed, their new interiors SUCK ***. They were making way nicer interiors in the 80's/90's from a looks/materials standpoint. Rich leather, burled walnut, those silly 3" plush sheep skin rugs, its all way nicer than the coal black plastic crap they are pumping out now.
Old 05-20-18, 10:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed, their new interiors SUCK ***. They were making way nicer interiors in the 80's/90's from a looks/materials standpoint. Rich leather, burled walnut, those silly 3" plush sheep skin rugs, its all way nicer than the coal black plastic crap they are pumping out now.
Agreed, I think sometime in the late 90's, when Ford bought them, things took a turn for the worse. I remember in the early 2000's test driving an S-Type and noticing how cheap the interior was. The airbag was misaligned from the rest of the steering wheel, and they weren't even able to come close to matching the same shade of tan. It was a joke.
Old 05-21-18, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Electric luxury cars probably make more sense in the UK than in the US. Travel distances are generally much shorter there and fuel prices are much higher. It seems like most of the European luxury manufacturers have announced plans for extensive "electrification".
except the price of electricity is HUGELY higher there than the u.s. due to all their green 'investments'.

the only electrically efficient country there is france which is all nuclear, and sells electricity to other countries for when their green energies can't produce (no sun or wind).
Old 05-22-18, 05:05 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except the price of electricity is HUGELY higher there than the u.s. due to all their green 'investments'.

the only electrically efficient country there is france which is all nuclear, and sells electricity to other countries for when their green energies can't produce (no sun or wind).
Hardly, electricity in the US averages at 12c per Kwh, compared to 20c per Kwh in UK (same as in nuclear France). And at $15 billion per nuclear plant, France isn't going to be building anymore and is concentrating on cheaper renewables, which have come down HUGELY in the last few years.

Anyway, back to Jaguar, they are on a roll right now, with sales up 9% in the US and sales of JLR overall having trebled in the last ten years. However, it certainly makes sense though to make the slow selling XJ electric only and give it that USP against the S-Class, 7 series etc. It's going to take Jaguar a long time to catch up with the Germans' numbers but if you look at how they've leaped ahead of Lexus in the last few years (0.44% market share, compared with 0.29%), and that's not counting Land Rover, they're making great strides.