Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: Next gen IS TTV6

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 07:01 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Rumor: Next gen IS TTV6

Details of the next-gen 2020 Lexus IS are starting to trickle through, with rumours suggesting there could be a potent new range-topping model featuring Lexus’s latest ‘V35A-FTS’ 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6.

Codenamed the 400A programme and nicknamed ‘4IS’, Lexus is believed to be preparing the next model for a launch in 2020 with the model year 2021. Design plans are apparently being finalised this year, and a concept version could potentially be unveiled later this year.

Lexus has a habit of showing dramatic concept cars about a year or two before launching the road-going version. If the current model is anything to go by, blended with the latest design language like what is seen on the new LS and even LCcoupe, it should be a fetching proposition in the premium medium sedan market.

At the top of the bunch, rumours are circulating that suggest Lexus could step into the sub-performance segment thanks to its new 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6 that debuted in the latest LS 500. In that the engine produces 310kW and 600Nm.

Right now Lexus doesn’t really have an answer for cars such as the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport and the Jaguar XE S. These are pitched as fast yet comfortable and luxurious sedans, featuring 3.0-litre V6s with forced induction. The Infiniti uses twin-turbochargers to generate 298kW, while the Jag uses a supercharger to bark out 280kW.

The new V35A twin-turbo Lexus V6 could very well make its way down the foodchain and replace the current 2GR 3.5-litre V6 which is featured in all ‘350’ models. This includes the current IS 350, which produces 232kW.

It’s unknown what a twin-turbo Lexus IS could be badged as. The current 2.0-litre turbo version is now called the IS 300 (formerly IS 200t), and rumours suggest a twin-turbo model could be called the IS 400, or perhaps even IS 500 to match the LS 500?

Nothing is official just yet so we probably shouldn’t get too excited. There’s also the chance Lexus could go the other way for all we know it, offering only hybrid options for the next IS. Let’s see.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2020-...p-rumour-0409/
Old 07-05-18, 02:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Interesting to see the quasi-confirmation of a 2021 model year debut. I'm still waiting for that concept though.

My gut says they'll probably have a detuned version of the engine with a few less ponies to take the IS 350's place, and have an F version above that. I think enough people have been asking for a revival of the IS F that perhaps they'll do it. Especially considering the F Sport trim has been prolific recently, and with the GS supposedly on its way out.
Old 07-05-18, 02:55 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall I'm just happy to hear Lexus is finally stepping into the twin-turbo realm. Whether it be for the IS or GS. I have a feeling the GS is going to stay and come back with some sort of fast-back design and a 3.0TT or detuned 3.5TT. LexusUSA via IG did confirm something is coming in regards to the GS towards the end of this year - fingers crossed.
Old 07-05-18, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i bet the ttv6 is would be an is-f. i highly doubt you'll ever see a v8 is again.

i bet the replacement for the current is350 is a 4cyl turbo because these days one can be made with the same power and barely any difference in nvh.
Old 07-05-18, 03:55 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The code-name 400A is already pretty well known. Lexus enthusiasts wrote about this in 2017 - where the 400A code name was in use since 2015.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/t...ugh-2020.3173/

I also think its way too early to be assuming the Lexus IS will be out in 2020 for 2021MY. With the SUV market being in red hot effect - its totally possible Lexus could focus on SUVs before working on the IS.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet the ttv6 is would be an is-f. i highly doubt you'll ever see a v8 is again.

i bet the replacement for the current is350 is a 4cyl turbo because these days one can be made with the same power and barely any difference in nvh.
I'm going to have to agree with Bit here.

I think it personally makes more sense for Toyota (business-wise) to put it into the Lexus IS-F rather than the IS350 or have a new IS400 model.
They can dub and market the return of the IS-F with a TTV6, which will draw hype.
Toyota knows majority of sold Lexus IS models are IS300 models - a TTV6 won't increase sales. If anything, a TTV6 is welcomed by car enthusiasts but it will be a niche sale at best.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 07-05-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not to mention i wouldn't at all be surprised if the ttv6 in the is would be faster than the current v8 isf
Old 07-05-18, 08:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Great thinking bitkahuna.
I think you are right.
3.5 V6 replaced by 2.0T
IS F V8 replaced by 3.5 V6 TT.

PS
I just notice that Mercedes C & E Classes and BMW 3 & 5 Series SIX cylinder models have been largely replaced by 2.0T's...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-06-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

wow ..........
Old 07-05-18, 09:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I too agree. The IS-F has a lot of heritage in a short time, along with a very solid reputation and following. It would be the perfect sequel, bringing it back even better. Honestly, it never should have died in the first place.
Judging what they did with the new ES, I expect the next IS to be a homerun.
Old 07-05-18, 09:22 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I expect that with the ultimate demise of the GS, the next gen IS will grow quite a bit in overall size. The current car is just too small to compete with the C class or 3 series. It would make sense to have the base engine be a 2 liter turbo with a V-6 turbo as a performance option like the C300/C43 AMG. Lexus will, however, have to fix the poor power output of the turbo 4. Performance comparisons indicate that its output is far below its rating. The Q50 with the 210 hp Mercedes 4 from the CLA is faster than the IS200t even though it is a larger car.
Old 07-05-18, 09:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I expect that with the ultimate demise of the GS, the next gen IS will grow quite a bit in overall size. The current car is just too small to compete with the C class or 3 series. It would make sense to have the base engine be a 2 liter turbo with a V-6 turbo as a performance option like the C300/C43 AMG. Lexus will, however, have to fix the poor power output of the turbo 4. Performance comparisons indicate that its output is far below its rating. The Q50 with the 210 hp Mercedes 4 from the CLA is faster than the IS200t even though it is a larger car.
I wonder if the buying public really wants a larger IS. The vast majority I see driving new IS's are young, male punks, with butchered wheels and exhaust, and a black tire shredding/exhaust wake from illegal night-time driving tactics. They don't have families to throw in the back seat.
I do agree though, the 2.0T's output has a lot of room for potential. But with BMW and Audi both offering less base horsepower engines, it wouldn't surprise me if Lexus kept one weak, entry level engine. Of course, if they did that, they'd still keep the base price the same as today's higher hp, base IS. Same trickery with the base GS350 to the base GS200t (no drop in price, but a massive drop in power).
Old 07-05-18, 10:55 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I think you are right.
3.5 V6 replaced by 2.0T
I second this. I believe it'll be something like this:
Lexus IS300 will keep the same AR Turbo as the entry-level model.
Lexus IS300 AWD will be removed.
Lexus IS350 will probably host a faster version a Turbo 4 - maybe the A35A Turbo or something...
Lexus IS-F will probably have the TTV6 from the LS.

I think this makes the line up simple and less bloated. Lexus spokespeople have said the want to trim the Lexus line-up. I think, if they add a TTV6 onto their current Lexus IS scheme, it'll be too bloated.
It would be essentially - Lexus IS300, Lexus IS350, Lexus IS400 (TTV6), and then IS-F. While keeping in mind that all trims will have a Non-F Sport and F-Sport version.
Especially with the SUV crazed market - the Lexus IS would be better sold with a Lexus IS300, IS350 and IS-F. You'll the mass market IS300, faster IS350, and niche sale IS-F.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I too agree. The IS-F has a lot of heritage in a short time, along with a very solid reputation and following. It would be the perfect sequel, bringing it back even better. Honestly, it never should have died in the first place.
Judging what they did with the new ES, I expect the next IS to be a homerun.
Agreed. Lexus IS-F should have never been removed from production. But the TTV6 will give an amazing come-back. It will allow it to fully compete with the next gen BMW M3/M4. Here's hoping.

I wonder if the buying public really wants a larger IS. The vast majority I see driving new IS's are young, male punks, with butchered wheels and exhaust, and a black tire shredding/exhaust wake from illegal night-time driving tactics. They don't have families to throw in the back seat.
I do agree though, the 2.0T's output has a lot of room for potential. But with BMW and Audi both offering less base horsepower engines, it wouldn't surprise me if Lexus kept one weak, entry level engine. Of course, if they did that, they'd still keep the base price the same as today's higher hp, base IS. Same trickery with the base GS350 to the base GS200t (no drop in price, but a massive drop in power).
Hey hey. I'm one of those young, male punks, with stance-out wheels and exhaust. More specifically - I'm one of those from the VIP scene.
And the thing is - the Lexus IS's main demographic is young buyers. Someone said it perfectly here before. The Lexus IS and ES are sold in combination. Since they are both priced similarity - they offer consumers an option. Go small on the IS or go big on the ES.

I think it might damage Lexus IS sales a bit within the younger demographic. But we will see if the Lexus IS actually grows in size with the ES around.

Agreed with your last point. The Lexus IS will definitely most likely keep a base level engine around. All the competitors do it. Business-speaking; a weak base-level engine is needed for mass-market sales. This is why BMW sells so many 3 Series - because of the 320i, not because of the 330i or 340i.
Old 07-06-18, 01:07 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you are right.
3.5 V6 replaced by 2.0T
I disagree with the i4 as a replacement for the V6. Toyco has not shown the ability to make powerful and efficient I4 turbos yet (see IS300). To be competitive in this segment, they'll need to do what Infiniti does: 1) have a base I4 turbo model (IS300) 2) Have 2 versions of the V6 TT., a detuned version as mid-level model and a hipo version for ISF.

However, this is Lexus, and they'll probably offer the next IS with another retuned 2GRFSE with 5 more hp! :X
Old 07-06-18, 07:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I think you are right.
3.5 V6 replaced by 2.0T
I think in this environment, that engine lineup will only bring it to par with the competition, that has been out for years already. Give it a standard 350hp turbo engine and tune the 3.5TT to 450hp and call it the ISF.
Old 07-06-18, 07:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

In this SUV loving environment, having both the GS and IS in addition to the ES and LS doesnt make sense especially when there are size overlaps. Even keeping one of those models is really pushing it, but if they have to keep one, it should be the IS since it still actually sells in some volume.

Quick Reply: Rumor: Next gen IS TTV6