Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep Grand Commander

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jeep Grand Commander

Jeep has finally revealed its first three-row SUV since the Commander, and the new one is called, as we expected, Grand Commander. And it looks just like we expected from leaked images and patent drawings. It pulls a bit of inspiration from the Jeep Yuntu concept, but it generally looks like a much bigger, stretched-out Compass. We do see a bit of Renegade inspiration in the D-pillar, though.

Interestingly, the Grand Commander isn't really bigger than our Grand Cherokee. The Grand Commander is just under 192 inches long, which is only 2 inches longer than the Grand Cherokee. But the Grand Commander's wheelbase is four inches shorter. It's also about two inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee. This is all interesting considering the Grand Commander's greater passenger capacity.

Also interesting is the Grand Commander's powertrain. It's only available with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, likely lifted from the Jeep Cherokee and Wrangler. If so, it's been detuned, and it now makes just 231 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque as opposed to the 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet in the other Jeeps. The Grand Commander's four-cylinder is also paired to a nine-speed automatic, and it can be had with either two-wheel or four-wheel drive.

The question of course is, will the Grand Commander come to America? It would fill a gap in the Jeep lineup, since the brand has no three-row vehicles. There have been many rumors of a three-row Jeep, possibly called Grand Wagoneer, as well as Grand Commander prototypes running around the U.S. But the size of the Grand Commander has us questioning whether it would be brought here, or if Jeep would develop a larger three-row, maybe based on Durango, for our market.
Source
Old 04-25-18, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks nice....I like the traditional two-box SUV design, for a number or reasons. I hope they bring it to the U.S.
Old 04-25-18, 04:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks nice....I like the traditional two-box SUV design, for a number or reasons. I hope they bring it to the U.S.
I like the look too, but this is just a little too small for the US market. Tahoe's and Explorer's would eat this up. Doesn't look much bigger than a Grand Cherokee. It's like the RX L is to the RX hah.
Old 04-25-18, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the look too, but this is just a little too small for the US market. Tahoe's and Explorer's would eat this up. Doesn't look much bigger than a Grand Cherokee. It's like the RX L is to the RX hah.
Looks can be deceiving, though...I've fallen for that, too, a number of times. Go by the actual measurements...especially with a nice boxy design like that with good interior space efficiency.
Old 04-25-18, 07:28 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks can be deceiving, though...I've fallen for that, too, a number of times. Go by the actual measurements...especially with a nice boxy design like that with good interior space efficiency.
I tried to tell ya..

The Grand Commander is just under 192 inches long, which is only 2 inches longer than the Grand Cherokee. But the Grand Commander's wheelbase is four inches shorter. It's also about two inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee.
Old 04-26-18, 04:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I tried to tell ya..
The Grand Commander is just under 192 inches long, which is only 2 inches longer than the Grand Cherokee. But the Grand Commander's wheelbase is four inches shorter. It's also about two inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee.
It's odd that they would make it two inches narrower while giving it a third row seat at the same time. And shortening the wheelbase (and the associated wheel-wells) might also make it more difficult to climb in and out of that third row seat....the wells would get in the way.
Old 04-26-18, 06:09 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The reason that the Grand Commander has such strange dimensions is because it is derived from (read: stretched) the FWD-based Cherokee platform, a compact crossover. Jeep stretched both the Cherokee's wheelbase and length, but platform engineering limitations probably prevented too great of a change to the width.
Old 04-26-18, 08:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Three rows and only available with a 4-cylinder that is detuned compared to other vehicles weighing (guessing) 1,000 lbs less. Complete and utter fail.
Old 04-26-18, 09:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Three rows and only available with a 4-cylinder that is detuned compared to other vehicles weighing (guessing) 1,000 lbs less. Complete and utter fail.
that's for the Chinese market only at this point.
Old 04-26-18, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689

Jeep needs a Grand Commander / Grand Wagoneer built for the U.S. They have the smaller CUVs, they have the venerable Grand Cherokee, they have the iconic niche Wrangler. Now's the the time to make a 7/8 seater on the more premium side to tackle the cheaper versions of the Land Rover Discovery.
Old 04-26-18, 02:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Jeep needs a Grand Commander / Grand Wagoneer built for the U.S. They have the smaller CUVs, they have the venerable Grand Cherokee, they have the iconic niche Wrangler. Now's the the time to make a 7/8 seater on the more premium side to tackle the cheaper versions of the Land Rover Discovery.
I was thinking they need to aim straight at the Tahoe/Suburban/Expidition market with the upcoming "BIG" Jeep. The chassis and engine options on the new Ram pickup is pretty advanced and very very very good from the reviews I've read.
Old 04-26-18, 02:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I was thinking they need to aim straight at the Tahoe/Suburban/Expidition market with the upcoming "BIG" Jeep. The chassis and engine options on the new Ram pickup is pretty advanced and very very very good from the reviews I've read.
I agree. My point was in regards to some article I read months ago. FCA in regards to Jeep wants to push models like the Grand Cherokee and possibly bigger, slightly more upscale. SRT and Trackhawk while performance oriented have shown they can command prices once never thought possible with Jeep. A slightly nicer interior, I'm all for.
Old 04-26-18, 08:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree. My point was in regards to some article I read months ago. FCA in regards to Jeep wants to push models like the Grand Cherokee and possibly bigger, slightly more upscale. SRT and Trackhawk while performance oriented have shown they can command prices once never thought possible with Jeep. A slightly nicer interior, I'm all for.
On the luxury front, the current Grand Cherokee has really pushed Jeep WAY WAY WAY upmarket IMO. They are getting the same customers as a Lexus RX350, BMW X3 or really base X5, same thing with Benz, they can get GLE room for GLC prices.

All I'm saying is the current Grand Cherokee is a legit competitor to the midsize crossovers from Germany and Japan's best. No reason why they can't expand this market upward both in price and size. Personally what I love about the Grand Cherokee vs the competition is the Grand Cherokee still does truck stuff. Its good off-road, it has a locking center diff with a low range 4wd setting, it has a great tow rating, it looks pretty butch as well. Yet its refined as a luxury car, especially in some of the upper spec trims. The sheer breadth of trims, engine options, and price points makes it like the 1962 full size Chevrolet lineup, there is a trim and an engine for every man on any budget.
Old 04-27-18, 09:30 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeep has spoken and committed multiple times now to expanding above the Grand Cherokee in the U.S. As others have quickly deduced, this Chinese market Grand Commander is definitely not in line with that vision for the U.S. premium full size market.
Old 04-27-18, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

shorter and narrower than grand cherokee hardly makes it a 'commander'

doesn't look special either. #fail

Quick Reply: Jeep Grand Commander