Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 07:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
High 50's doesn't seem unusual for a fully-loaded model in the segment, and it might even be pretty good compared to the German options. Though, I was kinda hoping for a more IS-like pricing range... where it tops out in the low 50's. However I'd expect the G70 to be better-equipped, on average. So it might be worth it.
They would need to lower the price of the Stinger if a fully loaded G70 was the same price.
Old 02-14-18, 07:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
They would need to lower the price of the Stinger if a fully loaded G70 was the same price.
Sure, though right now the G70 would have to be amazing to make it worth paying the premium over the Stinger, from what I have read/watched about it. Then again, I still haven't gotten to drive either vehicle myself... Starting to get curious now though.
Old 02-14-18, 07:07 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Guys, say what you want but there is no denying how far Hyundai and Genesis has come. It seems like the quickest progressing company at the moment.

At this pace they will be right up there with the best.
Neither did Lexus in the early 90s and the original LS400 turned the luxury world upside down.
Sure it didn't have all the bells and whistles and a thousand options to add like the German cars did, but I think it's fair to say it kicked their *** in many areas despite costing MUCH less.
Hyundai wasn't either the first decade or more of being in business in the US. I still think their cars are somewhat crap. But those things are everywhere you look. Clearly people like them for some reason.
They were inexpensive....

Have you seen how much Hyundai and Kias go for these days? It's ridiculous. Why not just pay a bit more and get something decent.
You went from glorifying Hyundai to bashing them, all in an attempt to try to fit in.
Old 02-14-18, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C300
Have you seen how much Hyundai and Kias go for these days? It's ridiculous. Why not just pay a bit more and get something decent.
Why do you think Kia and Hyundais do cost more these days? This is not the 1990s. Go look at them, drive them and you will find out...they are quite decent. As their ads once said.......Driving is Believing.
Old 02-14-18, 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you think Kia and Hyundais do cost more these days? This is not the 1990s. Go look at them, drive them and you will find out...they are quite decent. As their ads once said.......Driving is Believing.
Hyundai’s are definitely better than they were in the past. So is everyone else. Hyundai is still offering 0% and very long loans from what I have seen and they still sell less for than a comparable Chevrolet, Toyota, Ford, or Honda. Also their sales are down three straight years in row. When I see buyers willing to finance a new Hyundai or pay the same comparable price as Toyota or Honda I will then know they are on par. Chevrolet has big discounts from what I understand.

The new G70 is an outstanding vehicle, although I have not driven it. It will be interesting to see how Lexus and Audi respond to the new Genesis G70. It looks like it will do well. Also sat in the G80, G80 sport, and G90.
Old 03-01-18, 07:34 AM
whoishomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a Hyundai so not sure to expect but I have put down my pre order deposit for a G70.
I've previously owned Toyotas/Acuras and a Mustang.
I've looked at the Lexus IS350 AWD several times, but never ended up purchasing. In Canada a IS350 AWD with Fsport 3 comes in at just over $59k (including tax) The G70 is rumored to be $57k, which brings it up to about 59k after local taxes.
So pricing being almost identical, but the G70 comes with 5 years maintenance, a rear biased AWD platform and more power? Its tough to say no to that. Granted I am assuming the resale value will drop faster on the G70 but it will definitely be a more unique car as well. I am looking forward to getting it!.
Old 03-01-18, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by whoishomer
I've never owned a Hyundai so not sure to expect but I have put down my pre order deposit for a G70.
I've looked at the Lexus IS350 AWD several times, but never ended up purchasing. In Canada a IS350 AWD with Fsport 3 comes in at just over $59k (including tax) The G70 is rumored to be $57k, which brings it up to about 59k after local taxes.
So pricing being almost identical, but the G70 comes with 5 years maintenance, a rear biased AWD platform and more power? Its tough to say no to that. Granted I am assuming the resale value will drop faster on the G70 but it will definitely be a more unique car as well. I am looking forward to getting it!.

Well, double congratulations.....first, on your (future) new car, and, second, to CL as a first-time poster. I haven't actually seen the G70 yet, but did a full-review on the Stinger, which it is based on. I doubt if you will have very many complaints.
Old 03-01-18, 07:44 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Wouldn't you want to wait a little before buying this car? It'll probably level down to 5-15% discount within 3-6 months after introduction like a typical Hyundai..
I personally am not impressed with being the first person in the block with a new Hyundai...

I learned my lesson with the LS.. didn't think the discounts will be at 10% within the first 6 months and bought the launch car.
Old 03-01-18, 07:58 AM
whoishomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Wouldn't you want to wait a little before buying this car? It'll probably level down to 5-15% discount within 3-6 months after introduction like a typical Hyundai..
I personally am not impressed with being the first person in the block with a new Hyundai...

I learned my lesson with the LS.. didn't think the discounts will be at 10% within the first 6 months and bought the launch car.
That is definitely an option. Pre-order locks in 1.9% financing/leasing so there are some savings there. Its also fully refundable so if I am not completely in love with the car I can get my money back and get something else or just wait a bit longer.
Old 03-01-18, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That is definitely an option. Pre-order locks in 1.9% financing/leasing so there are some savings there. Its also fully refundable so if I am not completely in love with the car I can get my money back and get something else or just wait a bit longer.
Something tells me demand is soft for the new Stinger. Usually when you got a hot product, demand really outstrips supply for the few while. Offering 1.9% is pretty low for a yet to release product.
Old 03-01-18, 03:08 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Something tells me demand is soft for the new Stinger.
What do you define as "soft"? A little over 1,300 sales last month does not sound too bad to me. I would expect sales to continue climbing for awhile. It seems that dealers are now stocked pretty well. Once the G70 debuts, it will be interesting to see if that has any affect on the Kia sales. I can't wait to see how they price it.
Old 03-01-18, 03:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
What do you define as "soft"? A little over 1,300 sales last month does not sound too bad to me. I would expect sales to continue climbing for awhile. It seems that dealers are now stocked pretty well. Once the G70 debuts, it will be interesting to see if that has any affect on the Kia sales. I can't wait to see how they price it.
Sorry. I meant to say demand was soft for the new G70. Stinger was not what I meant.
Old 03-01-18, 03:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry. I meant to say demand was soft for the new G70. Stinger was not what I meant.
I thought the G70s weren't available yet, other than some preorders.
Old 03-01-18, 03:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought the G70s weren't available yet, other than some preorders.
Agreed. Not available unless you preorder, but to offer up 1.9% to lock it in, something tells me the demand right now is soft. Usually, there are big presales for cars.
Old 03-01-18, 03:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. Not available unless you preorder, but to offer up 1.9% to lock it in, something tells me the demand right now is soft. Usually, there are big presales for cars.
That's kinda like saying LS wasn't available in December or January due to its official release date being February and so you had to pre-order. No, they won't do low financing rates or discounts on the LS because it's a flagship Lexus, but I sure won't assume that the LS is going to see "soft" demand based on the fact that it's barely even been ready for sale for barely a month or two.

The official release date for the G70 is April 2018. They started taking pre-orders in January. Only 500 units coming to Canada and customers apparently put down a $1K refundable deposit right up to the day before delivery which they will apparently do right to the customer's door. It's a new car and new brand so Hyundai/Genesis are probably using some incentives like 1.9% financing and 5 year maintenance plan to get people to look at Genesis.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70