Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

~60 days in with a new 2018 Infiniti Q50 RS400...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 02:09 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
Default ~60 days in with a new 2018 Infiniti Q50 RS400...

For those that remember, I bought a new Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD a couple of months ago. Here is my assessment of it 2 months into my ownership:

Summary : Great value w/ a potent engine, but is let down by the rest of the car package (interior and handling).
Good : That wonderful twin turbo V6 has gobs of power (and even more potential), and Infiniti readily discounts even their top of the line model heavily!
Bad : Woefully outdated interior, useless infotainment system, and really sloppy handling, especially with the stock run flats.
Ugly : A premium sports sedan with gobs of horsepower (400!), but an open differential on RWD models?! /facepalm

Deets:

Quick background first off; I'm in my early 40s and have owned about 20+ cars now. The last 3 cars I bought strictly for myself were a 2005 MR2 Spyder (track car), FX50S (v8 powah), Evo IX RS (hoonigan car), and I've owned several other notable vehicles including MKIV Supra TTs and S2000s as well, so I know the difference between a sporty car and a real sports car.

Now, I don't drive much (only have 600 miles now on the Q50 in 2 months), but wanted a comfortable but powerful cruiser when I do. The Q50 RS400 primarily appealed to me because a) it offered a 400hp V6 twin turbo, b) it was being discounted heavily (-$10k off msrp was the norm, with lease/financing incentives on top of that), and c) sadly, Lexus has nothing new that could touch the Q50 in size, power, or price (I was also looking at used 2011+ ISFs). I chose the AWD model (yes, strange since I'm in sunny California) because the RWD model lacked an LSD, so would boogey out its rear end when I floored it from a stop (i have a really heavy lead foot!). I had been following the Q50s plight for a couple of years since its introduction to see what the aftermarket would do with it, so I knew its potential if I modded it (which I always do to my cars). Here's my assessment of the car and how it performs:

Looking from the outside, the 2018 model had a slight MMC refresh. The rear end was cleaned up significantly with new COB LED taillights that mimic the stylish Q60s and the front bumpers were changed to be more aggressive mimicking the Black S concept look from Infiniti. Otherwise, it's basically the same FM platform based car that debut back in 2014. It's the typical RWD look with a long hood (due to the longitudinal layout of the V6 TT), with just the right amount of overhang so you know instantly that this isn't a just a high end Maxima.

Peeking inside, the interior was also refreshed for 2018, so materials levels are a bit higher with heated quilted seats (that are not perforated or cooled however), red stitch everywhere including the dash, strange aluminum like accents everywhere, and the same 2 screen infotainment system as before. However, for a top of the line model for Infiniti's best selling sedan, it doesn't exude luxury the way a Mercedes does (in all fairness, few do), or even in a Lexus GS, and it certainly is not as sophisticated looking as say an S4 with its cool "virtual cockpit" digital gauges. However, the seats are comfortable, visibility is very good, and it has ample room (101.5 vs. IS350 90.2 / GS350 99).
The stock Bose system is pretty decent, with lots of bass provided by 3 10" speakers front and rears, but does not compare to say a Mark Levinson system from Lexus in terms of fidelity and accuracy. While the mouse in the Lexus is frustratingly annoying to use, at least it is to interface to a decent Enform system which allows some customization of apps is still intuitive. On the other hand, Infiniti's InTouch system is basically useless, IMHO. While it can interface to things like your standard NAV, it does not provide the ability to add things like Pandora or Spotify for music, and lacks Apple's Car Play and Andriod Auto connectivity, which for the latter is really strange as the OS is based on Android itself. Past the first few days of messing around with settings, I have never used it since then. It is that bad.

Starting the car, you hear a subdued humm from the engine. Yes, this is the high powered 400 horses V6 packing 2 turbos, yet it sounds even more quiet than a 4 banger in a Camry. Taking the car around the block, you'll notice a bit of turbo lag as you punch it. However, hold on as the mid range and top power will push you back into your seats, making you grin from ear to ear with a very muted exhaust note. THIS is what the car is about and why people buy it! The V6 TT has a huge flat torque curve making a peak starting 1800rpms all the way so it is a very flexible engine for around town driving, as well as spirited freeway on ramp runs. I feel like flooring every time Im first at a stop light or entering the freeway just to reconfirm the power! With this being a turbo car, your gas mileage is directly connected to the weight of your foot. I've done some light freeway driving and can get 20+ MPG, however around town with my lead foot, I average an anemic 12mpg!

One other note on the engine, it is easily tunable to produce 500bhp (stock is a very underrated ~370whp) with bolts ons and a ECU reprogram to raise boost and timing. I've already modded mine with exhaust and a simple piggyback boost controller (Burger JB4 for those who know about tuning FI Bimmers), and its opened up another world of performance from the engine (should be around ~400WHP now). The only issues the VR30DDTT has is a letdown by Nissan QA with some really crappy serpentine belt alignment that snaps off unexpectedly. This doesn't destroy the engine, but it is a common issue and causes unwanted downtime for repairs. Otherwise, it has been pretty bulletproof to date, even with people running over 450WHP on E30 mix.

Last of all, is the handling. It is to say succinctly, disappointing, especially for the premium "Red Sport" model. First, it is betrayed by really crappy all season run flat tires. These stock tires give a very vague feeling that doesnt inspire any confidence at all. Secondarily, the stock rims are like 30+lbs each! Granted, they're 19" wheels, but thats a lot of reciprocating mass to carry around. I upgraded both of these in the very first week of ownership with some lighter TSW Bathurst wheels and Falken high performance summer tires, shaving off 15lbs for each corner! This helped the car rotate more easily, but it was the handling was still very vague and sloppy (and I don't even have the crappy infamous Direct Active Steering option either). I threw on a front strut tower bar that stiffened up the front quite a bit and gave better feel for more tighter steering. Next, I lowered the car by 1" all around with some RSR Down springs and while it is a tad stiffer, it gave the car a firmer ride which it desperately needed. The car feels much more lively, yet predictable now. It still won't win any autocross or road course titles anytime soon, but at least it can try to keep up with other cars beyond a straight line now. This is what Infiniti should of done from the beginning, but they opted to go more for the comfort, cruiser route, which goes against the very nature of the engine itself.

After all of that, you're probably wondering if I had to do it all over again, would I have gotten my Q50 RS AWD? The answer is a definite maybe. I only buy Japanese cars, but there's nothing from Acura or Lexus that comes close to touching the Q50RS in terms of price/performance (and definitely not modability). If a hypothetical IS500/GS500 with the new LS500 3.5TT was offered, I would look long and hard at it, but it would probably be priced out of my reach for vehicle I hardly use. Looking at the Germans, the one car that really comes close is the new Audi B9 S4s! They look gorgeous, has gobs of power, and great AWD and transmission. One of my best friends picked up one and I was a little envious, although how much he paid is almost double mine in payments. While I love the VR twinturbo V6 in the Q50, the rest of the car leaves me wanting more. Customizing the car myself has helped tremendously, but Im getting to that point in my life where I just want it good stock. I'll report back in 9 months and see how it goes from here....

Pics of my Q50 now:

Old 03-14-18, 05:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

car looks great. Any rubbing with the rims/tires/springs?

all vehicles are a compromise in one way or another and while yours isn't everything you want, it's still really nice.

i guess you'll have to shell out more if you want less compromise stock.
Old 03-14-18, 06:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice write up, I think this platform gets overlooked a lot. I'm a big fan of any Turbo Factory car and I must say the aftermarket has embraced this model very well. AMS offers a lot of products and their own shop car is north of 800HP now I believe with a built motor. The bolt ons and tuning options are very good too.
Old 03-14-18, 06:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice catch on the diff....isn't it a cost thing, where a) it's not cheap to do mech ltd slip b) 90% of buyers don't know anyway

The older I get, the more I compromise, but there was a time when I said my next car has to have a) 10" wide or greater rims in the rear b) limited slip differential

It always surprised me to see threads like, "Would you ever consider a car that didn't have apple play?" And then there are 5,000,000 replies and it gets locked because the forum would blow up if replies didn't stop
Old 03-14-18, 07:32 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I had a Q50S for a week (fully loaded) with the 3.7 when my G35 coupe was in the shop. I was an Infiniti loyalist but I just couldnt buy the car when I was buying. It lacked in so many areas such as handling, interior, ride quality etc. If I were buying now, it would definitely be either the S4 or S5 Sportback. I would even consider an RS3 which is insanely quick.

Perhaps you have looked at the Stinger as I hear the handling is much better on those.
Old 03-14-18, 07:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It always surprised me to see threads like, "Would you ever consider a car that didn't have apple play?" And then there are 5,000,000 replies and it gets locked because the forum would blow up if replies didn't stop
priorities change. when you're sitting in horrible traffic averaging 3mph somehow a limited slip diff isn't so important but being able to easily use your phone's features from the car's infotainment system is.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Perhaps you have looked at the Stinger as I hear the handling is much better on those.
good point about the stinger.

since OP only does 300 miles a month though, maybe Uber would be the best option.
Old 03-14-18, 09:51 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
car looks great. Any rubbing with the rims/tires/springs?

all vehicles are a compromise in one way or another and while yours isn't everything you want, it's still really nice.

i guess you'll have to shell out more if you want less compromise stock.

since OP only does 300 miles a month though, maybe Uber would be the best option.
No rubbing at all fortunately. And yes, it seems the older I'm getting, the pickier I get as well.

And as far as Uber, I kind of have my own Uber in a company shuttle (yes, I'm one of those entitle Techie brats :X), and thats why I drive so little (in addition to have 3 other cars). First world problems, I know.....
Old 03-14-18, 09:58 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
Very nice write up, I think this platform gets overlooked a lot. I'm a big fan of any Turbo Factory car and I must say the aftermarket has embraced this model very well. AMS offers a lot of products and their own shop car is north of 800HP now I believe with a built motor. The bolt ons and tuning options are very good too.
Yes, I never even considered the Q50 when it had the 3.7L, but now that it has the VR....

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice catch on the diff....isn't it a cost thing, where a) it's not cheap to do mech ltd slip b) 90% of buyers don't know anyway
The older I get, the more I compromise, but there was a time when I said my next car has to have a) 10" wide or greater rims in the rear b) limited slip differential
It;s still astonishing to me that there is no LSD, especially given the fact that the previous MMC refresh Q50S with the VQ3.7 had LSD! So it's not a matter of availability, it seems more of a cost cutting effort apparently. I'm opposite of you, as it seems the older I get, the more I expect. I knew of the Q50s shortcomings, as I had taken on several spirited rides, but it was nevertheless disappointing. LUckily, I am very open to modding/customizing my cars (for now).

Originally Posted by EZZ
I had a Q50S for a week (fully loaded) with the 3.7 when my G35 coupe was in the shop. I was an Infiniti loyalist but I just couldnt buy the car when I was buying. It lacked in so many areas such as handling, interior, ride quality etc. If I were buying now, it would definitely be either the S4 or S5 Sportback. I would even consider an RS3 which is insanely quick.
I really like my buddy's S4, but the cost on it is a bit higher than I'd like. And as much as the Stinger has made noise for itself, I'm not really sold on Kia nor it's looks. Now on the other hand, that G80 looks really good!
Old 03-14-18, 10:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
priorities change. when you're sitting in horrible traffic averaging 3mph somehow a limited slip diff isn't so important but being able to easily use your phone's features from the car's infotainment system is.

Friday, accident on the bridge, 13 lanes into 1 from the toll booths....it took me 2 hr. 10 min. to get home (27 miles). I have colleagues that live 70 miles from work, and they say it usually takes them an hour 30 or 15!! Ah, the wonderful NJTP system.....
Old 03-14-18, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Great write-up. The Q50 and Q60 are such lookers (and performers now), yet they still go largely unloved
Old 03-14-18, 11:17 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great write-up. The Q50 and Q60 are such lookers (and performers now), yet they still go largely unloved
Keeps the discounts and incentives high though! :X
Old 03-14-18, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Keeps the discounts and incentives high though! :X
I can't argue that
Old 03-14-18, 03:20 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

2013 M series interiors

I’m hoping Infiniti goes back to the eye pleasing interiors it once had. They were polarizing but they were beautiful in my eyes. The older M and G sedans had unique and bold interiors during their run. The current Q50 is nice but the interior design does not speak to me.

Old 03-14-18, 04:10 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion

2013 M series interiors

I’m hoping Infiniti goes back to the eye pleasing interiors it once had. They were polarizing but they were beautiful in my eyes. The older M and G sedans had unique and bold interiors during their run. The current Q50 is nice but the interior design does not speak to me.

Please no, those interiors of old are so outdated and boring. If you sit in a Q50 or Q60 then sit in that you'll really notice how outdated those are. I think overall the interiors are pretty nice. I don't know why it gets so much knock for being "dated". Nobody ever calls BMW interiors dated and they've looked the same since the 80s.
Old 03-14-18, 05:46 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the sharing your experiences.

I may have missed something, but did you consider a GS-F (I know higher price point but also discounted)?

I agree the run craps limit the car. I really don't try to carve roads with my Q50S Hybrid AWD but it makes a great commuter.

One of the reasons I like the Hybridis that I have 360 HP and get between 27 and 28 mpg and Chicago has plenty of sit in traffic experiences.

Quick Reply: ~60 days in with a new 2018 Infiniti Q50 RS400...