Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac XT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Hey, if I could get a coupon for 2 Cadillacs for the price of 1, I may be interested. Where do I sign up?

LOL. They may actually have to do that for the Escalade when the new Navigator gets rolling.
Old 03-02-18, 07:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hip-Hop music, IMO, is not going to sell Cadillacs.
Lol. Okay, I won't pile on like the others already have with Lawrence Welk and Doris Day, but it was tempting It sure isn't old school Cadillac.

You were partially correct in the sense that it was "hip-hop" from a distant era in your recollection. Hip hop was basically urban 90s, smoother not abrupt. Now did rap incorporate that into its beats? Absolutely. The new "hip hop" is an edgier refined take on those 90s which uses a lot of slang or beats to make rap almost hit a hard note. Bruno Mars does a great job doing a beat with rap but getting some pop into it.

Lexus did a product placement in the Black Panther movie with Kendrick Lamar who does some of the soundtrack. A movie which some Lexi fans are all agog about. It's considered a hip hop/rap album although Lamar is more rapper than hip hop, but he surely grew up with the hip hop influence. So you were pretty close in your assessment.

I like the Weeknd with his smoother takes in BP.

But maybe Cadillac is on to something. They like younger audiences and music is a way to reach them.

btw I'm surprised no one posted the actual soundtrack of the BP Lexus thread.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-02-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. Okay, I won't pile on like the others already have with Lawrence Welk and Doris Day, but it was tempting It sure isn't old school Cadillac.
No problem, Matty. I have relatively thick skin..and, if necessary, I can dish it out, too, as well as take it. If someone cannot take criticism, then IMO they shouldn't post in Car Chat.

You were partially correct in the sense that it was "hip-hop" from a distant era in your recollection. Hip hop was basically urban 90s, smoother not abrupt. Now did rap incorporate that into its beats? Absolutely. The new "hip hop" is an edgier refined take on those 90s which uses a lot of slang or beats to make rap almost hit a hard note. It's protest music for dollars.
I don't consider myself an expert on the subject by any means...in my book, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between hip-hop and rap. Nor is rap necessarily confined to just one culture, as the Beastie Boys proved.

Cadillac has or had ancient customers so they had to remake their image from Florida retirees into cool baller cars and SUVs.
Problem is.....even a lot of the retired folks are also going to the SUVs. This is simply decimating, not all of, but a good part of, the sedan market.

Probably three out of four requests I get nowadays for auto-buying advice (not necessarily just from CL, but in general) is for SUVs, crossovers, or pick-ups. I myself like upmarket sedans, but I can see I'm in a increasing minority.
Old 03-02-18, 08:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem, Matty. I have relatively thick skin..and, if necessary, I can dish it out, too, as well as take it. If someone cannot take criticism, then IMO they shouldn't post in Car Chat.

I don't consider myself an expert on the subject by any means...in my book, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between hip-hop and rap. Nor is rap necessarily confined to just one culture, as the Beastie Boys proved.

Problem is.....even a lot of the retired folks are also going to the SUVs. This is simply decimating, not all of, but a good part of, the sedan market.

Probably three out of four requests I get nowadays for auto-buying advice (not necessarily just from CL, but in general) is for SUVs, crossovers, or pick-ups. I myself like upmarket sedans, but I can see I'm in a increasing minority.
Yes, and maybe those folks probably might listen to Taylor Swift or some other sort of country-pop singer like Kacey Musgraves or probably Dwight... Yokum. Cadillac is interesting that they had to reinvent themselves into a baller SUV brand first, and then went down to crossovers. Problem was, they had no audience for it with younger, edgier hip (as in rap/hip hop) customers. It's actually surprising when you listen to the Weeknd, Lamar or their backup singers - astonishing beats and vocals.

Do I buy an XT4 if Taylor Swift is whining about her boyfriends and girl issues? Or do I like an edgier Mars, Lamar sound which sounds nightclub cool?
Old 03-02-18, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes, and maybe those folks probably might listen to Taylor Swift or some other sort of country-pop singer like Kacey Musgraves or probably Dwight... Yokum. Cadillac is interesting that they had to reinvent themselves into a baller SUV brand first, and then went down to crossovers. Problem was, they had no audience for it with younger, edgier hip (as in rap/hip hop) customers. It's actually surprising when you listen to the Weeknd, Lamar or their backup singers - astonishing beats and vocals.

Do I buy an XT4 if Taylor Swift is whining about her boyfriends and girl issues? Or do I like an edgier Mars, Lamar sound which sounds nightclub cool?
In my book, you buy an XT4 because you like it.

Slightly off-topic (XT4), but Cadillac is going to have to come up with something more than Taylor Swift (or any other singer) if they want to compete wth the new Navigator. It's going to kick the Escalade's rear end.
Old 03-02-18, 10:48 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Escalade or nothing.
Old 03-02-18, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Cadillac sold their sole to the flaky night-life crowd about 15 years ago when the Escalade took off and nothing else did. It's the only momentum they have these days. From the looks of the quick video, I don't see anything here that suggest "standard of the world" will return.
Old 03-03-18, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Cadillac sold their sole to the flaky night-life crowd about 15 years ago when the Escalade took off and nothing else did. It's the only momentum they have these days. From the looks of the quick video, I don't see anything here that suggest "standard of the world" will return.
The Escalade, though, for years, got a more-or-less free ride in the sales department because of Ho-Hum Navigators. Those days, though, will probably soon be a memory.
Old 03-03-18, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

finally watched the 2 videos in the OP. nice! i think cadillac has been on a slow path back to significance. i like their design language. i like their tech and drive trains. the xt4 teaser looks very promising and well timed. and i'd love to have hands free on highways!
Old 03-03-18, 12:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The Escalade, though, for years, got a more-or-less free ride in the sales department because of Ho-Hum Navigators. Those days, though, will probably soon be a memory.
i think your pronouncements of its impending demise are wrong. cadillac of course will also have upgrades and new versions.
Old 03-03-18, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i think your pronouncements of its impending demise are wrong. cadillac of course will also have upgrades and new versions.

I'm not predicting its demise...I think you misunderstood my post. In the past, it clearly outsold the Navigator because of the latter's shortcomings (not that the Escalade didn't have any shortcomings of its own). But the Escalade clearly provided more Bling for the Buck. The new Navigator, though, is not only going to level the playing field, but likely tilt it somewhat in the opposite direction. That doesn't necessarily mean the Escalade's demise....but it does likely mean its humbling.

Of course, getting back to the thread-topic (XT4), Cadillac, to compensate, will also (now) have some competition in the compact (C-class) SUV size, going head-to-head with the Lincoln MKC, Audi A3, BMW X3, Acura RLX, Land Rover Evoq, and others.
Old 03-04-18, 07:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was refering to the last video, not the first one.
"Uptown Funk You Up"? Sorry, that's a pop song, not a hip-hop song. Perfect for that commercial.
Old 03-04-18, 07:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Suggesting they sell Cadillacs with gift cards for test drives is like suggesting a luxury restaurant market by offer 2 for 1 coupons lol.
I went and test drove an ATS and got a Visa Gift Card. And doing so put me on the dealership's robo marketing call list. How does that bring me in as a customer? Getting a monthly impersonal recorded call from the GM? So, yeah, you nailed it.
Old 03-04-18, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I went and test drove an ATS and got a Visa Gift Card. And doing so put me on the dealership's robo marketing call list. How does that bring me in as a customer? Getting a monthly impersonal recorded call from the GM? So, yeah, you nailed it.
Why the ATS? Did they pay out a higher gift cards than for other Caddy test-drives? If so, the low sales of the ATS might explain it.
Old 03-05-18, 12:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Why the ATS? Did they pay out a higher gift cards than for other Caddy test-drives? If so, the low sales of the ATS might explain it.
Why the ATS? Because it was a car I was actually considering buying. But the robo calls weren't "Hey are you ready to buy?" They were generic impersonal calls that had nothing to do with me or my particular visit. Regardless, I fail to see how someone would be convinced to buy any car by getting an impersonal recorded phone call from a dealer. Completely turns me off to that dealer; YMMV.

Quick Reply: Cadillac XT4