Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Have you been to the Genesis forums? G90s are selling at steep discounts, at ~$50k a pop.
Good.....the lower, the better. Makes them even more of a good deal.
Old 03-12-18, 07:42 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,497 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's encouraging - maybe picking up a used G80 will be easier than I thought.

I think it's a visibility problem. Everyone who I have spoken with about Genesis still thinks it's just a fancy Hyundai and has no idea the new brand exists.
Old 03-12-18, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think it's a visibility problem. Everyone who I have spoken with about Genesis still thinks it's just a fancy Hyundai and has no idea the new brand exists.
agreed, it's harder than ever to launch a brand in a world filled with social media, fake news, everyone's-a-blogger-celeb farce...
Old 03-12-18, 08:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It would be interesting to know how the Genesis division feels about current results vs. their forecasts and expectations.
Agreed. That will give us a true indication of how successful Genesis truly is, regardless of what the armchair critics may say. If actual sales (results) are (much) better than expectations, Genesis is a success; if, however actual sales are much worse than expectations, Genesis is not doing well.

Have you been to the Genesis forums? G90s are selling at steep discounts, at ~$50k a pop.
The lower the transaction price, the better for the shopper, especially for someone who is window shopping and not seriously looking to buy a Genesis. But steep discounts are an indication that actual sales are (much) worse than expectations, signalling that either Genesis management forecast incorrectly or that no one wants to buy the vehicle (G90) or the brand (i.e. the car or the brand is a failure).
Old 03-12-18, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The lower the transaction price, the better for the shopper, especially for someone who is window shopping and not seriously looking to buy a Genesis. But steep discounts are an indication that actual sales are (much) worse than expectations, signalling that either Genesis management forecast incorrectly or that no one wants to buy the vehicle (G90) or the brand (i.e. the car or the brand is a failure).
Agreed. Lack of demand could (?) also mean high depreciation down the road as well. But, in general, the longer you keep a car (especially after about the three-year-mark), the less of a factor depreciation becomes, due to the flattening of the curve. And the 10-year drivetrain warranty on Korean-brand products, is, of course, an incentive to keep it for a long time.
Old 03-12-18, 09:04 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this boils down to a case of marketing conumdrum
do you build a better product (much better than existing line-up) in hopes of raising the brand value
or do you build brand equity first and step up your products (the whole line-up) gradually?

or do you stick to what you do best, the budget segment and be an accessible brand?
Old 03-12-18, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
If actual sales (results) are (much) better than expectations, Genesis is a success; if, however actual sales are much worse than expectations, Genesis is not doing well.
so success/failure is purely subjective?

i look at it this way... hyundai made the g80/g90/k900 for their home market first and sales 'overseas' are a bonus. sure they'd love those models to rocket up in sales (compared to similar competitors) but for all the reasons we've discussed ad nauseum that's highly unlikely no matter how great the product, dealers or marketing campaign in today's world. lexus launched with a bang at a time when the german products were possibly at an all time low (smart play by toyota!!). german cars back then had outrageous prices for poor quality, poor tech in many cases, and were very inefficient (they truly were built like tanks, lol). today that's not the case.
Old 03-12-18, 09:38 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have spent some time on the Genesis forums and it seems that the $50K prices are for 2017 models, most with miles on them. The best deals seem to be leases thru Genesis Financial which have an $8000 incentive that is not available for purchases. Some of these leased cars are going for around $60K including the incentive.
Old 03-12-18, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed, it's harder than ever to launch a brand in a world filled with social media, fake news, everyone's-a-blogger-celeb farce...
Originally Posted by UberNoob
this boils down to a case of marketing conumdrum
do you build a better product (much better than existing line-up) in hopes of raising the brand value
or do you build brand equity first and step up your products (the whole line-up) gradually?

or do you stick to what you do best, the budget segment and be an accessible brand?
so success/failure is purely subjective?

i look at it this way... hyundai made the g80/g90/k900 for their home market first and sales 'overseas' are a bonus. sure they'd love those models to rocket up in sales (compared to similar competitors) but for all the reasons we've discussed ad nauseum that's highly unlikely no matter how great the product, dealers or marketing campaign in today's world. lexus launched with a bang at a time when the german products were possibly at an all time low (smart play by toyota!!). german cars back then had outrageous prices for poor quality, poor tech in many cases, and were very inefficient (they truly were built like tanks, lol). today that's not the case.
IMO the success of KIA and Genesis will be directly related to the success of Hyundai. If Hyundai is not perceived as a brand that you would be willing to pay Toyota or Honda type prices for, then the chances of success will be more difficult.

As the #1 most valuable auto brand in the world, Toyota brings enormous brand equity into things they want to do. Back when Lexus was introduced, Toyota was perceived to be making better products than what Hyundai is doing now. Toyota has a large RWD at the time, a truck, sports cars, sedans and a few SUVs.

The struggles of Hyundai and their Genesis or KIA brands are IMO equivalent to the struggle Toyota has with acceptance with their Tundra, Lexus F products, and former Scion failure. GM also has a hard time with perceived acceptance with their Cadillac sedans. Toyota also failed with their Scion no haggle pricing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-12-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As the #1 most valuable auto brand in the world, Toyota brings enormous brand equity into things they want to do. Back when Lexus was introduced, Toyota was perceived to be making better products than what Hyundai is doing now.

Although one generally cannot fault the reliability of Toyota drivetrains (they have always been among the best), I don't think one can say that the quality of brand-new Hyundais and Kias today is worse than what Toyota built almost 30 years ago. Hyundais and Kias have some of the longest warranties in the American market for a reason. They also seem to use more solid materials in the interior, sheet metal, and trim than most Toyotas do today.

GM also has a hard time with perceived acceptance with their Cadillac sedans.
No question GM has mismanaged Cadillac's sedans. (Hopefully, Deborah Wahl's arrival will help in that department....see my other thread). They tried to become like BMW, and it didn't work. That's also one of several reasons why I myself am in a Lacrosse instead of a CT6, XTS, or CTS.

Toyota also failed with their Scion no haggle pricing.
No. Scion did not fail because of no-haggle pricing. The no-haggle, list-price policy was actually a boon, and many buyers liked it....that was also the case at Saturn. Both companies folded because of gross mismanagement by corporate HQ. In the case of Scion, they stuck too much to entry-level vehicles.....essentially C and B-class (compact and sub-compact) sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks in a market that (mostly) wanted something larger.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

LexsCTJill - exactly which makes the lexus success all the more remarkable, but timing is (almost) everything, plus luck, but it was not luck that the original ls400 blew everyone's mind when it was launched with an equally awesome marketing campaign. i don't think the auto world has seen anything like that since.
Old 03-12-18, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

LexsCTJill - exactly which makes the lexus success all the more remarkable, but timing is (almost) everything, plus luck, but it was not luck that the original ls400 blew everyone's mind when it was launched with an equally awesome marketing campaign. i don't think the auto world has seen anything like that since.
Probably the closest, at least in the amount of media-hype, was the Tesla Model S.
Old 03-12-18, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Probably the closest, at least in the amount of media-hype, was the Tesla Model S.
but the success of the Lexus LS400 wasn't about "media hype" it was about a near perfect product matching a near perfect opportunity with a near perfect marketing campaign. ball bearings and champagne glasses come to mind.

tesla's marketing is minimal, it's far from a near perfect product and the opportunity has been weak at best... tesla could only dream of selling what the ls400 sold... and tesla is more 'cult of personality' (musk) which does give it media hype for sure.

about product, the ls400 was a large step up from what had gone before, but the tesla though is revolutionary. but revolutionaries mostly end up failing or dead, superceded by what comes next. i could see that happening to tesla, with what's going on at gm, jaguar, bmw, and many others. but tesla may well end up being a huge battery supplier. but if they can't get the tesla 3 production volume a LOT higher, they're in a load of trouble on the car side.

back the k900, it was nowhere near a perfect product, with little opportunity and basically no marketing as far as i could tell... = #fail it's not a terrible car, it's just nothing special. they'll need to do a lot better for the next gen.
Old 03-12-18, 02:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't go on Genesis forums, I have not heard of any discounts where you can get them for 50K or around 20K off of MSRP though there are a few here that have gotten some really good lease deals on them. Are you sure they are not just clearing out some 2017's with some really good offers? It is not like there are no Lexus models getting steep discounts, there are some that have said they got or saw GS-F's and RC-F's for 15K+ off MSRP, GS had some hefty discounts too.
Old 03-12-18, 02:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Fact checked. Numbers are down since changing to Genesis. G80 sales are worst since 2010. Down to start 2018 as well.

.http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...s/genesis-g80/

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/hyundai/hyundai-genesis/hyundai-genesis-sedan/.

They normally lump the Genesis coupe with Genesis sedan in sales when it was a Hyundai and it was less expensive sold under a Hyundai, many competitors are down, some very down from 2010 or even 2015 so it is not just the G80, the G80 still consistently places 3rd place in sales in its segment to this day which is impressive.

Quick Reply: 2019 Kia K900