Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NY state window tint law

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 07:11 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts
Default NY state window tint law

Does anyone have any idea if NY states stupid window tint law will ever be repealed? There was a petition that had 17,500 signatures to repeal it and I have not heard anything about it. I am worries because I have a 35% tint on my ls430 been pulled over 8 times and given a "warning" about my tint. My car is in storage for the winter but I was told by a officer of the law that Cuomo (the governor of NY) has told law enforcement agencies to get all cars with tinted windows off the road.

I feel this is law does nothing but violate my rights and endangers law enforcement officials due to them being the only vehicles on the road with tinted windows painting a giant red target on there back for individuals looking to cause them harm or commit crimes.
Old 12-07-17, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Does anyone have any idea if NY states stupid window tint law will ever be repealed?
Tinted-glass laws (I believe they actually got started in North Carolina) came about from concern that police officers were getting shot on traffic-stops because the window-tint could not allow them to see occupants inside the car reaching for (or producing) a weapon until it was too late. Tinted windows can also, in some situations (depending on the number of street lights and the condition of the drivers's eyes) adversely affect night-vision if the tint is too dark. So, the laws that ban or regulate them didn't just come out of thin air...they were done for a reason.

I agree, though, that it is silly and impractical to have 50 different tint-laws in 50 different states......posters are forever asking (or trying to find out) what the specific laws are in their home state. It would make sense, IMO, to have one national Federal standard for tinting that would apply coast-to-coast, so that everyone is on a level playing field.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-17 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 07:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I feel this is law does nothing but violate my rights and endangers law enforcement officials due to them being the only vehicles on the road with tinted windows painting a giant red target on there back for individuals looking to cause them harm or commit crimes.
Your rights to what? Driving a car is a privilege not a right. If you don't like your state laws, you have the right to move to a state with less stringent laws regarding tint.

endangers law enforcement officials??? Why, are you the individual looking to cause them harm cause they have tint and you don't? This can't be serious.

This sounds like just another 'rant' thread like your Jeep one.
Old 12-07-17, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Driving a car is a privilege not a right.
Bingo. You sign for a license, you accept the rules.
Old 12-07-17, 09:15 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Your rights to what? Driving a car is a privilege not a right. If you don't like your state laws, you have the right to move to a state with less stringent laws regarding tint.

endangers law enforcement officials??? Why, are you the individual looking to cause them harm cause they have tint and you don't? This can't be serious.

This sounds like just another 'rant' thread like your Jeep one.
If I am a lone wolf gunman that is out to kill law enforcement and they are the only ones with window tint on there car kinda easy to pick out my targets, and no I have respect for law enforcement there just doing there job and have to deal with some crazy s$it

The law is completely unreasonable I understand the purpose behind a certain percent of tint being legal due to health and safety concerns.

Oh yah even if this is a 'rant' which it's not I have every right to post it as long as it is not threatening or menacing to other members this is a public forum, just like it's your right to post whatever you want.
Old 12-08-17, 01:31 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

20% tint on my Lexus for the past 4 years, never a problem with Johnny law around in my parts. Its the same tint as the back glass on your regular SUV. Of course I don't have ghetto thumper subwoofers in my car, "drug dealer" 26" wheels with the car on a lift, no loud exhaust, and I generally try to drive the speed limit and keep my max speed on the interstate at 80mph.
Old 12-08-17, 05:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I stopped getting tint years ago after repeated harassment from cops.
They would write me a ticket for EACH window (5 tickets!!!). Now i just order all my BMWs with the sunshade curtains all around.

Pure money grab and additional tax by the government especially considering all SUVs come tinted from factory and nowadays outsell cars.

There are many valid reasons to have tint such as having small kids in the back not to have sun pointed at them while sitting in traffic for hours.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-08-17 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 06:15 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I stopped getting tint years ago after repeated harassment from cops.
They would write me a ticket for EACH window (5 tickets!!!). Now i just order all my BMWs with the sunshade curtains all around.

Pure money grab and additional tax by the government especially considering all SUVs come tinted from factory and nowadays outsell cars.

There are many valid reasons to have tint such as having small kids in the back not to have sun pointed at them while sitting in traffic for hours.
That's my issue as well, it's purely a money grab the new s class benzes come with a 60% tint think.

I only have 35% tint you can clearly see into my car and I like having tint because I have aspergers syndrome and I feel that the window tint helps me from being over stimulated, it acts a buffer and mentally makes me feel better. I know that sounds like a lame excuse but I am being completely honest.
In somenplaces like texas and florida it's necassary due to the harshness from the sun.

A ticket per window that's crazy how did that go in court did they dismiss all but one ticket and they make you pay the fine on just one?
Old 12-08-17, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I know NYPD has meters and they will scrape....I get the heat part if one lives in FLA, but I don't get the windshield and front windows part where one cannot see the driver.
Old 12-08-17, 06:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

That's my issue as well, it's purely a money grab the new s class benzes come with a 60% tint think.

I only have 35% tint you can clearly see into my car and I like having tint because I have aspergers syndrome and I feel that the window tint helps me from being over stimulated, it acts a buffer and mentally makes me feel better. I know that sounds like a lame excuse but I am being completely honest.
In somenplaces like texas and florida it's necassary due to the harshness from the sun.

A ticket per window that's crazy how did that go in court did they dismiss all but one ticket and they make you pay the fine on just one?
Im in Kings county so courts are not favorable.
They threw out the rear window tint ticket as that's actually allowed and reduced the fine on the other 4.
BTW this happened numerous times in 1-2yr period. 3times by same cop.

It makes no sense that SUVs can have tint on the rear but passenger cars can't.
Just archaic laws that politicians use to get more $$$ from average ppl.
Old 12-08-17, 07:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In Illinois, vehicles with privacy glass in the back (minivans, CUV's, SUV's etc.) can have 50% tint on the driver and passenger front side windows. I've had it on two CUV's and it works and looks OK for me.
Old 12-08-17, 08:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Im in Kings county so courts are not favorable.
They threw out the rear window tint ticket as that's actually allowed and reduced the fine on the other 4.
BTW this happened numerous times in 1-2yr period. 3times by same cop.

It makes no sense that SUVs can have tint on the rear but passenger cars can't.
Just archaic laws that politicians use to get more $$$ from average ppl.
I agree that I have never understood that....I think the law is phrased that if the tint is from the factory, it is ok. For example, my wife's SUV is 19%, pretty dark, from the factory. That is not allowed even on the rear where we live, unless from the factory. Seems kind of hokey...
Old 12-08-17, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I agree that I have never understood that....I think the law is phrased that if the tint is from the factory, it is ok. For example, my wife's SUV is 19%, pretty dark, from the factory. That is not allowed even on the rear where we live, unless from the factory. Seems kind of hokey...
Do you have any problems seeing out through the glass at night? Dark tint can often interfere with night vision....that's one of several reasons why it's regulated.
Old 12-08-17, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If I am a lone wolf gunman that is out to kill law enforcement and they are the only ones with window tint on there car kinda easy to pick out my targets, and no I have respect for law enforcement there just doing there job and have to deal with some crazy s$it

The law is completely unreasonable I understand the purpose behind a certain percent of tint being legal due to health and safety concerns.

Oh yah even if this is a 'rant' which it's not I have every right to post it as long as it is not threatening or menacing to other members this is a public forum, just like it's your right to post whatever you want.
I didn't say you couldn't. Just be prepared to be challenged when you make emotional threads like this one, that's all.
Old 12-08-17, 11:13 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Personally, I hate threads like this. We as U.S. Citizens don't get to pick and choose what laws to obey based on if we agree with it. We live in a republic, not a true democracy. We vote representatives into office to make laws for us. If you don't like how they are doing their job, you vote for somebody new next election. If you don't like a law on the state or local level, you petition to put it on the ballot next Election Day. Yes we have a right to complain about laws, but we don't have the right to pick and choose which ones to obey.

Quick Reply: NY state window tint law