Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 05:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
No, they dont bother me either. I'm more concerned with the sound of the clunk than the "solidity" of the door. I dont know how I would perceive solidity. Is it weight? Do you knock on the sheetmetal? lol
There is something to what you say. A 1/2" ratchet that costs $12 at Harbor Freight, and a 1/2" ratchet that lists for $160 from Snap On. They feel completely different, yet both get the job done. There are many people who would likely say why would I pay more than $12? Again, I prefer the way the Snap On feels when you're using it, not to mention you'll never need another one (I have ones dating to the 1940's that I purchased online). Now I'm not sure the context of the "solid" concept in this thread, but if it were saying Japanese cars are not as solid as German, I agree. Slam the door on a lowly Golf, then go to a Lexus LS (maybe not the best example unless the door closers can be disabled).
Old 08-06-17, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
that's probably an outdated way to test the solidity of vehicles, does not mean that they are less "safe" and solid because of the sound and weight I think.

When I was a kid, I remember old folks praising Volvo doors being the most thick, heavy and solid in feel, as in thick heavy steel, even more so than Mercedes. Cars are no longer built with the same design & materials of yester years. I wonder how you compare present Volvo sheet metal to those old Volvo's, I have not touched one for like 20 years lol ...
Exactly. Modern materials are just as strong and high quality while being thinner and lighter, that's the whole name of the game...

It's like saying a track Ferrari is cheap because it has a polycarbonate windshield...
Old 08-06-17, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's like saying a track Ferrari is cheap because it has a polycarbonate windshield...
I never said, though, that polycarbonate, carbon-fiber, titanium, thermo-plastics, or other similar materials (even aluminum, for that matter), were cheap....they aren't. But one can usually tell thin steel sheet-metal when they feel it (I certainly can)....although I do agree that, because of Government regulations or other factors, sometimes weight-cutting is done for MPG or performance reasons as much or more than simple cost-cutting. Ford's latest-generation F-150, for example, with its aluminum construction, shaved an average 700 pounds from its predecessor, and the new Buick Lacrosse shaved some 300 pounds....both quite significant.
Old 08-06-17, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

These thin metals aren't to save cost is my point, they're to save weight. It's all done for MPG. Aluminum costs more, it's not cheaper.
Old 08-06-17, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
These thin metals aren't to save cost is my point, they're to save weight. It's all done for MPG. Aluminum costs more, it's not cheaper.
Yes, I know that aluminum is not cheap....particularly aircraft-grade aluminum (remember, I was once a pilot). I mentioned it because it is sometimes used as a weight-reducing substitute for sheet-steel, particularly with vehicles.

One thing interesting about aluminum hoods, roofs, trunks etc..... is that, despite the lighter weight (and the Chevy-Truck commercials dumping big loads into the bed LOL), they don't seem to ding as easily from falling tree-nuts, road debris, etc...as sheet steel. Not being a metallurgist, I haven't quite figured that one out.

Anyhow, back to the S-class....any chance of getting one on your next lease, or are you going to stick with another LS?
Old 08-06-17, 07:41 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could this be the LS-F or the rumored Fuel Cell LS ?

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/08/06/high-performance-lexus-ls-f-prototype-spotted-in-europe/

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/scoop-is-lexus-working-on-hotter-ls.html

Last edited by sorptd; 08-06-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 07:58 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. They're too slow. By the time this thing gets released, if ever, it will probably already be far behind the competition, in performance, power and speed. It really does need 600 HP or no one who can afford it will care.
Old 08-06-17, 11:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Anyhow, back to the S-class....any chance of getting one on your next lease, or are you going to stick with another LS?
It would have to be a much better lease deal than what I've seen doable to put me in an S Class next time, as much as I would like one. I just can't justify spending $1,400 to lease a car when I have preschool to pay for, etc. As for another LS, I don't know...I'll have to see the price point of the new one and drive it for myself. I may buy my LS and keep it for a few more years, or I may get something cheaper like a G90 or perhaps a Q7 or something like that. We'll see. ~ $1,000 is where I want to be lease payment wise. G90 would be WAY below...
Old 08-06-17, 11:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. They're too slow. By the time this thing gets released, if ever, it will probably already be far behind the competition, in performance, power and speed. It really does need 600 HP or no one who can afford it will care.
TMC owns part of Subaru, and Subaru has been working on electric motor powered turbo compressors for many years.
You never know what can happen. TMC may release an electric turbo that can spin to 70,000 rpm in just 0.2 seconds. You just never know.
Electric turbos will revolutionize exhaust driven turbos, which are always very laggy when not on "spool".