Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think the s class blows away the 7 series as well. but the comparison will always be there, just that this time around mb is doing such an incredible job
Old 08-03-17, 10:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The S-class Mercedes is easily the most overrated car on the market, there is absolutely NOTHING special about it nor is it a league above its competition in any way.

25-30 years ago, yes. Today, no.
I would say you haven't driven one.

It's the best driving car on the road below $200,000. It just does everything better, its smoother, quieter, interior uses incredible quality materials, it's got the most prestige, the most presence on the road. It's just the best luxury sedan you can buy.

But, it costs a lot. One optioned even conservatively for me is $110,000. That's $15,000 more than a 7 Series optioned in a way I would be happy with. $30,000 more than my LS which I'm happy with obviously. Leasewise, $1,400 a month. That 740 is $1100, my LS is $950. That's a lot of money. Is it worth the money to me? Most likely not. If you offered me a choice of an LS, S550, 7 Series or A8 would I choose the S550? I wouldn't even hesitate, yes I would.

Aside from the money one of the trepidations I have about getting one is the ostentation factor. Being in sales you're always cognizant of appearing like you make too much money. I sometimes even feel that way in my LS (people make comments), and I certainly would much moreso in an S550.

If we get the S450 V6 sedan here and I can get one optioned the way I want for $95k, I'd have to seriously consider that.
Old 08-03-17, 10:58 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would say you haven't driven one.

It's the best driving car on the road below $200,000. It just does everything better, its smoother, quieter, interior uses incredible quality materials, it's got the most prestige, the most presence on the road. It's just the best luxury sedan you can buy.

But, it costs a lot. One optioned even conservatively for me is $110,000. That's $15,000 more than a 7 Series optioned in a way I would be happy with. $30,000 more than my LS which I'm happy with obviously. Leasewise, $1,400 a month. That 740 is $1100, my LS is $950. That's a lot of money. Is it worth the money to me? Most likely not. If you offered me a choice of an LS, S550, 7 Series or A8 would I choose the S550? I wouldn't even hesitate, yes I would.

Aside from the money one of the trepidations I have about getting one is the ostentation factor. Being in sales you're always cognizant of appearing like you make too much money. I sometimes even feel that way in my LS (people make comments), and I certainly would much moreso in an S550.

If we get the S450 V6 sedan here and I can get one optioned the way I want for $95k, I'd have to seriously consider that.
I have driven it and I disagree across the board. Yes it drives well, but a league ahead of its competitors? No.

Incredible quality materials? Yeah in some places, but you start to look harder (on non designo models mind you), and it's in no way a league better than the competition. Door panels are hard, headliner is cheap, the damn engine start button is cheap plastic. It's in the same ballpark as anything else in the segment.

Presence on the road? I see these things every. damn. day. In downtown Vancouver. They are big black taxis. Incredibly bland. They have none of the presence of classic S-classes. No one fears these things. No one turns to look at them. There is nothing to look at.

Every S-class since the W140 has been grossly overrated.

W220? Terrible.
W221? Hilariously bad.

Of course when each of these cars came out, the media was all over them. "The best car in the world". Right. History hasn't been kind to that claim.

I have no doubt the W222, while vastly improved, will meet a similar fate. It's just not that special anymore. All that's left is the Mercedes and S-class nameplate. Put another name on the W222 and watch the real ratings come in.
Old 08-04-17, 01:48 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The LS costs a lot less than the S Class. I don't think it's fair comparing the two. Also reliability can't even be said in the same sentence of Mercedes. In the real world, even with the wealthy, I would assume things like monthly payments, service costs, and reliability go a long way in making purchasing decisions. But in the end, I truly believe it's the name that sells the S Class. There are Mercedes fans, and this is what they get when they want the ultimate.

Another way to look at it: Smart money vs. Spending money. Smart money is when you want luxury, but fly under the radar (LS). Spending money is making a statement to others about your riches (MBZ).
Old 08-04-17, 03:48 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I think the S Class has both the name and the styling.
No one, including 7 Series, A8, LS or XJ has managed to match the S Class for stately styling.
Old 08-04-17, 04:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

A bit premature since no one has had seat time in both cars to really compare.

Seems like OP just wants to brag about being an S class owner or is considering getting the new S class and is pre-emptively gassing up his choice in bragmobile.
Old 08-04-17, 06:33 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
A bit premature since no one has had seat time in both cars to really compare.

Seems like OP just wants to brag about being an S class owner or is considering getting the new S class and is pre-emptively gassing up his choice in bragmobile.
I don’t have time to brag. The video/car speaks for itself. The car is in a different league. I’m a car enthusiast. I just feel the S class is a notch above its competitors. If you have the money you can customize this car like a spaceship. Just look at the doors on the MayBach. Its levels
Old 08-04-17, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I have driven it and I disagree across the board. Yes it drives well, but a league ahead of its competitors? No.
It's the smoothest, quietest car you can buy for less than $200k. Full stop. Whether it's a league apart or whatever isn't the point. If you want the best, that car is the best. Prestige is about having the best.

Incredible quality materials? Yeah in some places, but you start to look harder (on non designo models mind you), and it's in no way a league better than the competition. Door panels are hard, headliner is cheap, the damn engine start button is cheap plastic. It's in the same ballpark as anything else in the segment.
We're sitting in different cars. It's true the better leathers make an impact even in the S550, but everything is covered in real leather in EVERY S550, dash doors all of it. Even in a fully loaded LS460 you get stitched vinyl on the doors and dash. Every switch and material is high quality. I'm a stickler for good materials, and I can't find one material in even the most basic S550 that I find objectionable. Some of the material choices are different than what Lexus uses, such as the headliner which isn't cheap but is a woven matrix material vs a soft felt material in LS460s without alcantara, but cheap? Hardly. Again, it's about being the best, best materials you can find in a sedan under $200,000 are in that car.

Presence on the road? I see these things every. damn. day. In downtown Vancouver. They are big black taxis. Incredibly bland. They have none of the presence of classic S-classes. No one fears these things. No one turns to look at them. There is nothing to look at.
You think people turn and look at an LS?!

Pull up to your friends in an S550 and see how they react. The prestige is there I promise you. I know how people react when I pull up in the LS...and I think of you polled people which car was more expensive overwhelmingly they would pick the S550.

have no doubt the W222, while vastly improved, will meet a similar fate. It's just not that special anymore. All that's left is the Mercedes and S-class nameplate. Put another name on the W222 and watch the real ratings come in.
You mean the fate of overwhelmingly being the best selling luxury sedan in the world and being untouchable by their competition despite costing tens of thousands of dollars more on average? I think MB will accept that fate lol.

You say the press fawns all over the car. I've probably driven 5 of them, and I can't see one thing I've read from the press that I didn't also find to be true about the car. I'm not an S Class fan overall either, the previous generation didn't appeal to me at all.

I'm sure the new LS500 will improve upon the 460 in many ways, material quality will get better, will it's demeanor be smoother and quieter or edgier and sportier? We'll see. It's not going to touch the S Class for prestige though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-04-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 08:10 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
with the Maybach version, yes, but not with S63 and S65 AMG's, I would prefer to drive them over the LS500 and the LS hybrid.
ehhhhh.. Maybach is people for Royalty status..
I would say S-Class would work for human level rich folks..

Think... Lincoln Towncar for rich people.. Airport runs.. Prom.. etc...
Old 08-04-17, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would say 99% of S550s bought are driven by their purchasers.

It's a great car to drive. It feels lighter actually than the LS...despite riding better.

As for not comparing the LS, why? Of course people will compare the LS, they're cross shopped. Look in the LS forums, multiple members who came from the S Class and moved on from the LS to the S Class. Check out MBworld, lots of S550 owners had the LS in the past.

At some point in my life I will have one. Have other things I want/need to spend the money on now when a car as nice as the LS, 7, etc is available for significantly less. Hell, one of the LS guys just traded for a G90 for $630 a month!!! $800 a month less than an S Class lol.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-04-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 08:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think I've ever looked twice at an LS460 driving down the street. Maybe it's because they're everywhere around my area. I'll take a 2nd look at an S63/65 though..
Old 08-04-17, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't think I've ever looked twice at an LS460 driving down the street. Maybe it's because they're everywhere around my area. I'll take a 2nd look at an S63/65 though..
Nobody does, which has an appeal also.
Old 08-04-17, 08:44 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

We can compare coupe with sedan, or sedan with SUV.
We can compare gasoline with diesel, atmospheric with forced induction, manual with auto, and FWD with RWD and even AWD.
We can compare Lexus with Hyundai Genesis - of course we can compare S Class with LS, and even XJ.

Those who wish not to compare S Class with LS are trying to assert that the S Class is that much better, there is no point for comparison.
Old 08-04-17, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I think the new LS500 will get some looks because of the grille .......
Old 08-04-17, 09:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I agree, they are not the same. That in no way should diminish the LS, it is what it is and far above average. I just don't think that Lexus ever reached their potential--they were absolutely revolutionary in fall 1989, knocked everyone off their socks (actually that didn't come out right). We don't need to reiterate the 4 objectives of the LS400 that were met for the model year 1990, but 160 mph top speed should say something. BMW accusing Toyota Motor of selling the LS400 below cost should also speak volumes.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS