Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 07:59 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS

As much I respect the LS and it's history. After watching this video I feel people should just stop comparing the two car. The S class is just in a different league. The features and options are just insane.

Old 08-03-17, 08:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
As much I respect the LS and it's history. After watching this video I feel people should just stop comparing the two car. The S class is just in a different league. The features and options are just insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAI1DoqjWBg
I've felt that way for years.
Old 08-03-17, 09:21 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Lexus super fans flying in for the defense in 3..2...1...

S-Class definitely established its place as the king of full-size executive trim sedan. In addition, AMG, Brabus, and Maybach have beautiful upgrades/modifications for the S-Class whereas the LS just has...F-sport?
Old 08-03-17, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

the LS is a wonderful car. silky smooth, classy, beautifully made. despite the refresh though, the tech is out of date and incomplete.
the ls500 will bring back some mojo, but i have to agree with rogers2... the s class is off the charts. and the still in the video there is an s65 twin turbo v12... hello silky freight train torque
lexus gave mercedes one hell of a wake up call nearly 30 years ago. it worked.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-03-17 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the LS is a wonderful car. silky smooth, classy, beautifully made. despite the refresh though, the tech is out of date and incomplete.
the ls500 will bring back some mojo, but i have to agree with rogers2... the s class is off the charts. and the still in the video there is an s65 twin turbo v12... hello silky freight train torque :D
Pretty attainable used, a 5-year old S65 AMG TT V12 should be worth about the same or even less, as a S550 of the same age and mileage
Old 08-03-17, 10:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The S class has always been a step above the LS when it comes to size, power, optional engines, prestige but it is also a 100K car. Not to take anything away from the LS but I have always seen the S class, A8, and 7 series as a step above the LS especially considering they offer 12 cylinders but the LS can be pretty close in some ways. As much as I love the last gen A8, last gen 7 series, and current S class I would not own one due to some astronomical costs associated with them, I would stick with a LS which I find luxurious enough. I don't know about the new LS though, I don't care for it at all.
Old 08-03-17, 10:55 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they get compared in that they are both flagships of their respective brands. With that said, the LS has always been seen as the value option from the S-Class, which is why they get compared.
Old 08-03-17, 11:31 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny enough there is a (my guess 2012 2013 era) S500 with shot air suspension in my office parking garage...whoever the driver is clearly drives it daily but it looks like it has 3 tons of rocks in the trunk because of the rear....
S class is the still the goal, standard of this segment. The LS is an alternative, but I don't feel a direct comparison. Not to say I'm unhappy with the LS, but for me (and many of us) car ownership includes consideration of cost of ownership.
Old 08-03-17, 11:31 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The S class has always been a step above the LS when it comes to size, power, optional engines, prestige but it is also a 100K car. Not to take anything away from the LS but I have always seen the S class, A8, and 7 series as a step above the LS especially considering they offer 12 cylinders but the LS can be pretty close in some ways. As much as I love the last gen A8, last gen 7 series, and current S class I would not own one due to some astronomical costs associated with them, I would stick with a LS which I find luxurious enough. I don't know about the new LS though, I don't care for it at all.
I agree with pretty much everything here. People should also keep in mind that at times, the equivalent trim S-Class has been more expensive and less powerful than the LS (as was the case in the 4.3L W220 vs 3LS). The new LS also doesn't appeal to me, but rather than spend $100k+ on an S550 or the equivalent A/7-series, I'd either buy something more interesting than a luxury barge or stick with something cheaper and reliable that gets the same job done.
Old 08-03-17, 12:07 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have own 3 high end Mercedes-Benz. The first one was the worse. Which was when they merge with Chrysler for a short period of time. But the car was a spaceship on wheels. Since 2007 all my high end Mercedes have been awesome. Now that I have a little bit money I really don’t care about reliability like I use to. If I want reliable car I’ll buy an Accord or Camry and drive my high end car on special occasions.
Old 08-03-17, 04:56 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw a video of the new A8. I can't wait for someone to do a comparison with the S, A8, 7 and new LS but Im worried for lexus
Old 08-03-17, 05:57 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Most will say S-class is on another level.. they are right.

personally, I feel like s-class is for people who get driven and LS is for people who want to drive bigger cars.
Old 08-03-17, 08:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On Car Chat and on the 5LS thread I haven't really noticed some sort of direct comparison. Even the OP's original 2018 S class thread has people here praising the big Merc. So really there is no major issue. It's acknowledged that MB knows how to be imaginative put out big power cars. This isn't even a question.

What's going to be interesting is the test drives and reviews once the 5LS is actually out there. And that's coming from a big fan of German cars and the S class. I love the S class styling vs the LS.
Old 08-03-17, 08:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Most will say S-class is on another level.. they are right.

personally, I feel like s-class is for people who get driven and LS is for people who want to drive bigger cars.
with the Maybach version, yes, but not with S63 and S65 AMG's, I would prefer to drive them over the LS500 and the LS hybrid.
Old 08-03-17, 09:10 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S-class Mercedes is easily the most overrated car on the market, there is absolutely NOTHING special about it nor is it a league above its competition in any way.

25-30 years ago, yes. Today, no.

Quick Reply: 2018 S Class Please Stop Comparing the LS