Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Design Rationale for DRL Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
In Canada DRL are standard. I see Dodge vehicles have the light out when the turn signal is going. Try this on a dark country road making a left/right turn and the left/right light goes out. Stupid! Turn blind into a corner at night, great idea.
Why would this make any difference at night on a dark country road? Your DRLs aren't providing any forward illumination...your headlights are. Your headlight doesn't turn out.

Don't get me going about DRL in Canada. Now there are so many people driving at night with their lights out, cause the dash is lit up....my lights must be on! No the rear is still not on. There has been some proposed legislation here talking about removing the light switch altogether as there are so many people driving at night with their lights out. Car on, lights on.
The dash is not lit up when DRLs are on. People are stupid, you can't fix stupid.
Old 07-17-17, 10:45 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

On the Dodge my friend has the headlight does go out (not the DRL)....drives him nuts.

The dash is on. These electronic dashs all come on to a certain degree, regardless of DRL......With you 100% that you can't fix stupid.

Canadian vehicles are not wired the same way as US delivered vehicles. Guess our Government is looking out for us....hahahaha
Old 07-17-17, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
On the Dodge my friend has the headlight does go out (not the DRL)....drives him nuts.

The dash is on. These electronic dashs all come on to a certain degree, regardless of DRL......With you 100% that you can't fix stupid.

Canadian vehicles are not wired the same way as US delivered vehicles. Guess our Government is looking out for us....hahahaha
There's something wrong with his Dodge. Seriously, it shouldn't do that, some wire is crossed somewhere. My 2011 Jeep could be switched to "Canadian mode" for the DRLs, which I did to get them to come on, the DRL went out when the turn signal was on, but not the headlights.

The gauges are on if they are optitron constant backlit gauges but the rest of the backlighting isn't on.
Old 07-17-17, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why would this make any difference at night on a dark country road? Your DRLs aren't providing any forward illumination...your headlights are. Your headlight doesn't turn out.

The dash is not lit up when DRLs are on. People are stupid, you can't fix stupid.
If the AUTO feature on the headlight switch is working properly (and many vehicles have this feature nowadays), the DRLs shouldn't even be on after dark....the system is supposed to automatically switch to full-lighting, as it does in my Verano.
Old 07-17-17, 11:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

About DRL's....how about the overhead signs that say, wipers on, lights on, it's the law. Yeah, I think it was about 1993 that the law went into effect. There are cars driving without headlamps, in conditions that are virtually near tornado conditions/pouring rain.....I don't really think laws matter when they are not enforced...and DRLs are ornaments, let's be honest. In the old days, DRLs were headlamps on at reduced power...(I think haha because we were young bucks going over the border for some R&R and it seemed like Canadian cars had headlamps on and they weren't as bright as they normally would be at night)
Old 07-17-17, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
About DRL's....how about the overhead signs that say, wipers on, lights on, it's the law. Yeah, I think it was about 1993 that the law went into effect. There are cars driving without headlamps, in conditions that are virtually near tornado conditions/pouring rain.....I don't really think laws matter when they are not enforced...and DRLs are ornaments, let's be honest. In the old days, DRLs were headlamps on at reduced power...(I think haha because we were young bucks going over the border for some R&R and it seemed like Canadian cars had headlamps on and they weren't as bright as they normally would be at night)
Well, as for not enforcing headlight laws, you could say that for a number of other traffic laws as well. Look at how many people speed, run stop signs/red lights, fail to come to a complete stop before turning right, drive under the influence, drive with suspended/revoked licenses, drive with expired license-plates or safety-inspection stickers, or immerse themselves in cell-phones/tablets/texting while driving, on a daily or near-daily basis, and rarely if ever get caught. Based on what I see every day, probably a good 20-25% of all drivers are on a cell phone at any given moment. In my area, if the cops worked 24 hours a day, even with 10X the force on the roads they have today, they couldn't even BEGIN to truly enforce traffic laws.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 01:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

They still are like reduced-brightness headlamps on some cars (my previously owned 2011 Camry, for instance), but the implementation of LED DRLs has allowed automakers to get creative.
Old 07-18-17, 05:45 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Genesis handles DRLs and indicators a little differently. Half of the DRL goes out for the indicator.
Old 07-18-17, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, as for not enforcing headlight laws, you could say that for a number of other traffic laws as well. Look at how many people speed, run stop signs/red lights, fail to come to a complete stop before turning right, drive under the influence, drive with suspended/revoked licenses, drive with expired license-plates or safety-inspection stickers, or immerse themselves in cell-phones/tablets/texting while driving, on a daily or near-daily basis, and rarely if ever get caught. Based on what I see every day, probably a good 20-25% of all drivers are on a cell phone at any given moment. In my area, if the cops worked 24 hours a day, even with 10X the force on the roads they have today, they couldn't even BEGIN to truly enforce traffic laws.
I totally agree....when we're down in MD/DC and last time VA, I admit, I am more conscious of the speed limit because of the speed cameras, esp. DC. I'm not opposed to them. Do I want a $560 fine like they have in CA, of course not, I think that's extreme. But $40 in MD? That's fair, esp. given you can be 11 mph over.

When I was in Toronto for business, it dawned on me, holy **** nobody has a cell phone in their hand while driving, NOBODY. When I talk to people in the office, they say of course, it's the law! Then we got into the pedestrians crossing and everybody stops--they said it's the law again, but it is annoying when one person steps out, looking down and on their smartphone, and 25 cars have to stop in both directions.

I just think headlights on is common sense when you have no visibility and severe thunderstorms, and odd that registration stickers and overhead signs still have to remind drivers, in 2017....and that the cool looking led DRLs don't cut it....they are for show...
Old 07-18-17, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When I was in Toronto for business, it dawned on me, holy **** nobody has a cell phone in their hand while driving, NOBODY. When I talk to people in the office, they say of course, it's the law! Then we got into the pedestrians crossing and everybody stops--they said it's the law again, but it is annoying when one person steps out, looking down and on their smartphone, and 25 cars have to stop in both directions.
Sounds like a different culture in Toronto....where laws actually mean something.

I just think headlights on is common sense when you have no visibility and severe thunderstorms, and odd that registration stickers and overhead signs still have to remind drivers, in 2017....and that the cool looking led DRLs don't cut it....they are for show...
Well, over and above DRLs, if the storm is severe enough, it's wisest not to be driving in it at all....particularly with large hail that could damage street metal/glass or strong winds with the possibility of tree-branches coming down on the car itself. I try to ride out the worst of the storms, whenever possible, in local covered parking garages....preferably high enough off the roadway that any flash-flooding from heavy rains doesn't reach. Every year, here in the D.C. area, vehicles and houses are taken out by storms and falling trees/branches, and people are injured or killed.