GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front Turn Signal as DRL & Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 08:15 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Front Turn Signal as DRL & Turn Signal

I had dealer turn off regular DRL as I didn't like the yellow look and didn't want to put LEDs as I would loose high beams. I still believe in DRL and I like the LED look.

I am thinking about puting V3 Triton switchbacks by VLEDS.
http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-.../v3-wa-5k.html

When the turn signal is ON, DRL is off on that side (Audi style). When turn signal is off, DRLs are on. I have been searching and I cannot find anyone who has done this before. The only pictures how DRL may look like as DRL I have found are in this post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ash-fix-2.html
Unfortunately they are at night with other lights on which takes the experience out.

Anyone seen some good pictures how the turn signals would look like as DRLs?
Old 01-16-13, 01:09 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

how do you plan to wire this up, as the front turn signal is not always on. it only illuminates with signals are activated.
Old 01-16-13, 01:27 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSM1284
how do you plan to wire this up, as the front turn signal is not always on. it only illuminates with signals are activated.
Very simple process. The V3 kit is plug and play. To install turn signals takes 5 minutes and it is as simple as replacing a bulb. So if someone wants just turn signals it is very simple.

To install DRL I will buy addtional two adapters

This one will allow the kit to draw power from another source without splicing or taping cables
http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/adapt...y-adapter.html

That will adapter will connect to this adapter
http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/adapt...e-adapter.html
The last adapter will be connected to fuse box to enable DRL power

The computer module will disable DRL power when sees pulsing power which will make constant white LEDs to change to Amber pulsing

The kit as well comes with optional white cable. That one can be tap in to parking lights. This one will alow for DRL dim 50% when lights come on.

The install is easier than any DRL system I have installed before. Shouldn't take more than an hour from start to finish including making everything look nice and neat.
Old 05-16-13, 07:33 AM
ISFmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do this install?
Old 05-16-13, 07:38 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by ISFmike
Did you do this install?
I took a little different approach as vleds have supply issue. What I have done is disabled regular DRL, converted turn signals to LEDs and then made Fog Lights as DRLs. You can see the description with pictures under DIY thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ow-tos-44.html

Look for posts 655-658

Actually I am glad I went this route. During the process of installation I have noticed that I would have problems with space for V3 bulbs due to covers in GS350 (not enough clearance). So don't recommend V3 due to size.
Old 05-16-13, 08:31 AM
MCCR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
I took a little different approach as vleds have supply issue. What I have done is disabled regular DRL, converted turn signals to LEDs and then made Fog Lights as DRLs. You can see the description with pictures under DIY thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ow-tos-44.html

Look for posts 655-658

Actually I am glad I went this route. During the process of installation I have noticed that I would have problems with space for V3 bulbs due to covers in GS350 (not enough clearance). So don't recommend V3 due to size.
looks good. do you have part #'s for all the parts you used? also, did you keep the stock DRL bulb(yellow), or did you put a LED bulb, etc?

and this
The rest of fuses are always active which means lights will stay on even if you turn off and walk away from the car.

how long do they stay on after ignition is off, alarm is activated?
Old 05-16-13, 09:15 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Originally Posted by MCCR
looks good. do you have part #'s for all the parts you used? also, did you keep the stock DRL bulb(yellow), or did you put a LED bulb, etc?

and this
The rest of fuses are always active which means lights will stay on even if you turn off and walk away from the car.

how long do they stay on after ignition is off, alarm is activated?
I don't have part #s. The post 655 in DIY section has all components needed with pictures. The only one with picture missing is fuse splitter which I got at a local radio shack. It makes one fuse into two so you can connect another component. Cables were ordered from ebay (many sellers there) and bulbs from vleds. They have a new 9005 bulb (850lm) even more powerful. Really as long you buy components for right bulb sucket size (9005) it will work.

I have kept the stock bulb for DRL/high beam. I have disabled (by dealer) the DRL so don't have to deal with yellow DRL. The reason I have decided to keep stock bulb is that I want to have high beam capability. Putting an LED was not an option. Dealer charged me $50 to re-program. I have used this opportunity to program door locking and other items you can customize at the same time. The dealer may push back on disabling DRL saying it cannot be done. Push it back as it can, it's just not an advertised option. In new lexus you can do this already yourself in navigation menu.

Fuse. Yes, you need to connect to ignition fuse located in engine compartment on driver side. This is the only one which cuts power. The rest will always leave the NEW DRLs on as there is always flow of power from the battery. They will turn on/off when you press ignition on/off.

Don't be afraid of the install. This was one of the easiest DIY I have ever done. To get everything operational takes 10 minutes as everything is plugs and play and there is no cable splicing, etc... The most time consuming process is routing cables the way you want, changing fog lights bulbs, etc...